7 months of VR issues

rifraf105

Hi everyone,

So I have invested in building my PC to a high spec and have most of the DCS modules, Been playing the sims since the early days, All Good!

Got VR and was amazed at the extra immersion. still all good!

I have had issues with VR for about 7 months now and have tried EVERYTHING to fix it. Had some results but always does the same thing.

When i move my head the view freezes and clipps me outside of the cockpit, Laggs ect.

All im after is for ppl to let me know that this is a current issue and to just continue to wait it out for the fix really.

I havnt been able to play my beloved sim for so long now that its really starting to do my nut in.

Iv spent months reading and trying everything i come across to no avail.

Devs pls assist me

Regards

RIFRAF

PC Specs:

Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Motherboard

4x 8Gb corsair vengance 3000Mhz RAM

ROG STRIX 1080Ti Graphics

Processor Intel® Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

DCS runs on its own 1Tb 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Oculas Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog setup.

Same. I have the highest end system you can pretty much have With an HP Reverb and I have problems in VR as well. Not really as dramatic as I making it out to be but still very irritating to have some of the studders that I have.

I have suspended all my purchases at this point. I passed on the last sale all together.

The update on the 15th will answer a lot of questions for me personally about DCS and whether or not I move forward with this game or go to another one. It’s all up to them at this point

Same. I have the highest end system you can pretty much have With an HP Reverb and I have problems in VR as well. Not really as dramatic as I making it out to be but still very irritating to have some of the studders that I have.

I have suspended all my purchases at this point. I passed on the last sale all together.

The update on the 15th will answer a lot of questions for me personally about DCS and whether or not I move forward with this game or go to another one. It’s all up to them at this point

I'm beginning to feel this way too. The carrot has fallen off the stick for me. Fingers crossed we see some measurable improvements this month.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Hi everyone,

So I have invested in building my PC to a high spec and have most of the DCS modules, Been playing the sims since the early days, All Good!

I have had issues with VR for about 7 months now and have tried EVERYTHING to fix it. Had some results but always does the same thing.

When i move my head the view freezes and clipps me outside of the cockpit, Laggs ect.

All im after is for ppl to let me know that this is a current issue and to just continue to wait it out for the fix really.

I havnt been able to play my beloved sim for so long now that its really starting to do my nut in.

Devs pls assist me

Regards

RIFRAF

It would help if you post system specs, along with the type of VR HMD you're using. That way somebody with a similar setup can help you with your issues. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi everyone,

Devs pls assist me

Regards

RIFRAF

I would not consider what you have described as a current issue with the game in VR. Can't say I have ever seen anything like what you described.

What headset and what system are you running?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had the same issues with the Rift CV1. Patiently waiting for more VR stability in DCS before I purchase anything else. VR is what makes DCS. Tried going back and just can't play on a monitor anymore, just feels blah.

I am looking forward to the Reverb G2 and a new release Nvidia card later this year. i'll just focus on the gear at this point.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

Thanks for all your replies, sorry, I thought my specs were on my signature?

Ill post them on this one!

When i went to VR it was working perfect and i definitely couldn't go back to monitor either, It just makes it real even though the viz and spotting distance is bad, its still worth it to me.

Its all about the flying and the systems to me.

PC Specs:

Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Motherboard

4x 8Gb corsair vengance 3000Mhz RAM

ROG STRIX 1080Ti Graphics

Processor Intel® Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

DCS runs on its own 1Tb 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Oculas Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog setup.

I’ve been using the Rift S without any issues at all, steady frame rates.

I don’t have any mod intended for performance installed on my system. Your system is similar to mine, but I’m running 32gb of ram. Could that be it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Phoenix

F-16C

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-2400MHz, GTX 1080, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, Oculus Rift S

When i went to VR it was working perfect and i definitely couldn't go back to monitor either, It just makes it real even though the viz and spotting distance is bad, its still worth it to me.

From a hardware point if view you should be good, though your K processor is not Overclocked, and I am wondering why, you should also check that your XMP profile is enabled for memory.

What is your expectation of good?

What are your current settings? In game, in drivers and in oculus?

How are you measuring performance?

Just as an observation pd has a very large impact on perf... that will be capped by your gfx card, which like mine is 1080ti.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The biggest issue at the moment is the framerate literally dropping in half while moving the head...

Not seeing this on my setup. Framerates running from 40 in some airport situations, away from them between 48-80. Can look around with no stutter, framerate drop. Even at airports, if I look straight up I get 70.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

VR performance has been poor for me for several months at least.

I'm running a Pimax Vision 8K Plus at Normal Field of View with conservative Fovated Rendering @ 100% in steam VR. Using the VR preset in DCS, I'm lucky if I break into the 40fps range on a single player free flight in the Hornet. I get horrible artifacts without any Anti Alaising with the buildings, shadows, and distant waves over the ocean and have to run Anti Alaising on x2 to get rid of them. That brings my 40fps down to the mid 30's. If I then get on a multi-player server with even a relatively simple mission, that usually drops to high 20's and on the deck of the carrier it's often dipping below 20.

With the July 15th patch, I completely cleaned out both my Stable and Open beta builds, deleted all saved games contents and started from scratch with no mods, and no baggage and the performance really isn't much better than before. As others have mentioned, going back to a flat screen is not an option, and DCS hasn't always performed this badly, I can remember builds prior to 2.5.5 where the frame rates rarely dropped into the 40's even in multiplayer and with complex missions.

For now at least, DCS has been put to one side whilst ED get their house in order...

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have the Reverb running in an Intel i7-9700 at 3.60GHz, 32RAM, Windows 10Pro, grafics card NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Super, witth the latest drivers an I have simmilar issues as posted above.

It started with tracking problems when looking to my left shoulder, left and down, but now I have flashes and tracking problems in any direction and specially looking inside of the cockpit.

It is a DCS problem because the Reverb works perfetly in other VR programs like IL2, Xplane and others.

So, I hope that someone could take a look at this problem to fix it.:(

Edited by MicMic

I do think, it can be your motherboard, I had same motherboard, and got recked with all kind of Vr failures. After I changed motherboard, it was all gone..

• Like 1

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

You should have no issues at all playing with the Rift S on Medium-High settings.

- VR Headset is connected into the 1080 TI, correct? Not into the Mainboard?

- Did you select VR Settings in DCS?

- Your room is brightly lid? Not sitting in darkness, correct? Rift S needs to see.

- Any Mods? Did you delete the Shader folder to recalculate all shaders?

- You bought the Unlocked K Type. A Clockspeed of 4.5GHz on that 8700k should be no issues with a good cooler. You dont have a good cooler? Get one -> AIO or a Noctua CPU Cooler.

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• ED Team

I see many reports from different people, depending on hardware, settings, drivers, headset the results can vary.

VR needs tweaking to find the right settings for your machine and your preference.

In my opinion many would see better results if they used a resolution closer to the headsets native resolution, having high PD or high SteamVR per eye res will have a huge impact on performance.

Some here have claimed we don't care about VR, it is nonesence, I generally only fly in VR myself and have made many reports to the team, and the team is working on improvements. We also have vulkan in the works which hopefully will help, more news next year on that.

I have recently been testing with VR and recording, in the videos you can see the frames I am getting, some may find it useful.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

With your pc specs the result is not so impressive. Rather it shows the strain DCS VR imposes. Not to say it shouldn't. Can not have the visuals and action in the sim world on much lesser hardware.

Common frustrations seem often more about performance reductions or problems after updates rather than unrealistic expectations from lower spec hardware.

Though i run fpsvr i no longer chase high or even steady fps. It seems to make no appreciable difference to the flights for me (multiplayer).

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

• ED Team
With your pc specs the result is not so impressive. Rather it shows the strain DCS VR imposes. Not to say it shouldn't. Can not have the visuals and action in the sim world on much lesser hardware.

Common frustrations seem often more about performance reductions or problems after updates rather than unrealistic expectations from lower spec hardware.

Though i run fpsvr i no longer chase high or even steady fps. It seems to make no appreciable difference to the flights for me (multiplayer).

Everyone has different expectations, it is difficult to please everyone.

With my settings and machine I get 45 - 90 frames depending on where I am and whats going on, have I had to tweak my settings, and lower them to get that performance? yes, it is something everyone has to do if they want to get the performance they want, finding that balance is personal preference.

DCS was not built from the ground up for VR, VR has come along after, and there is some challenges to overcome, the team are working on making improvements, but it will take time. We pin our hopes on vulkan also but until we can fully test it we have no way of knowing if it will improve things.

Im an eternal optimist so I think it will, just need to continue to be patient.

thanks

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I see many reports from different people, depending on hardware, settings, drivers, headset the results can vary.

VR needs tweaking to find the right settings for your machine and your preference.

In my opinion many would see better results if they used a resolution closer to the headsets native resolution, having high PD or high SteamVR per eye res will have a huge impact on performance.

Some here have claimed we don't care about VR, it is nonesence, I generally only fly in VR myself and have made many reports to the team, and the team is working on improvements. We also have vulkan in the works which hopefully will help, more news next year on that.

I have recently been testing with VR and recording, in the videos you can see the frames I am getting, some may find it useful.

More new of Vulkan in 2021??? Since 2017 that was announced... my GOD ! ... so I will expect vulkan for 2025.

BN: appart that VR is not implemented since beginning, due one of your comments...., this sounds to me like an excuse... because, EVEN, in the beginning with DCS V. 1.5, we have MORE VR performance, more FPS and less stuttering that now (I remember in most cases with 90 FPS...), even in multiplayer, even in missions quite more complex than the mission showing in your video by you (F-18 Caucasus winter one vs one Mig-29... this mission only has 1 A.I. unit!!!... try the same video but with 40 ground units + 10-12 AI planes and let me know what´s your FPS...), and of course, with minimal graphical glitches appart of spinning clouds (I mean, relatively to the hardare for that time, concretely with a 1080ti). It is not acceptable such downgrade since 3 year ago... let me say to you what´s happen really in ED´s office: VR is free, VR is no money incoming, so is not a priority. It doesn´t matter if many of us are seeing not rendered some pictures in one eye... or if we´re reporting the same bugs since 8 months, now it seems that the problem is that a bug must be report by each thread.... and meanwhile, No official word or support from ED... appart of your video and your comment in other topic.

At in the end, let me rember to you that our work is not doing reporting or "bug investigation", we reported the same bugs with no attention (appart of your responses, of course, many thanks), this is one of ED´s responsability with the sim. I´m paying for having a good VR sim experience, a good product, at least not having a degraded product from previous versions (2.5.5 concretely...). As a MINUMUM, not broken things!

I I understand that having 100% perfect with this complexity is nearly impossible, but I don´t accept having so many glitches or faults like we´re having now, especially those bugs that we don´t had in the past. And that is a lack of attention of ED, not that the sim doesn´t support VR since beginnning.

Edited by Gryzor

• ED Team
More new of Vulkan in 2021??? Since 2017 that was announced... my GOD ! ... so I will expect vulkan for 2025.

BN, appart that VR is not implemented since beginning, due your commend, this sounds like an excuse... because, even, in the beginning with DCS V. 1.5, we have MORE performance, more FPS (remember in most cases with 90 FPS), and of course, minimal graphical glitches (relatively to the hardare for that time, concretely 1080ti). It is not acceptable such downgrade since 3 year ago... let me say to you what´s happen: VR free, no money incoming, so no priority it doesn´t matter if many of we seeing double pictures or so...

I know you are very disheartened, you have made it very clear with your posts, I am sorry for that, you are right it is taking to long, but it can not be rushed. The reality is it is a massive task and it will take a long time, especially getting our older code to work correctly with vulkan.

Hopefully once vulkan is here you will see improvement, that would make me happy.

thanks

I know you are very disheartened, you have made it very clear with your posts, I am sorry for that, you are right it is taking to long, but it can not be rushed. The reality is it is a massive task and it will take a long time, especially getting our older code to work correctly with vulkan.

Hopefully once vulkan is here you will see improvement, that would make me happy.

thanks

I hope so, thanks for your quick response. But I don´t understand why I´m having worst performance now, with better hardware than 3 years ago when VR was implemented firstly in DCS (without nearly inexsistants glitches). And that is not related to Vulkan.

• ED Team
I hope so, thanks for your quick response. But I don´t understand why I´m having worst performance now, with better hardware than 3 years ago when VR was implemented firstly in DCS (without nearly inexsistants glitches). And that is not related to Vulkan.

I wish I could tell you, I have spent many hours trying to help people, all I know is everyone's machines can behave differently. It is a mystery to me also sometimes.

Feel free to PM me with your DCS settings and machine spec I may see something or have a suggestion.

thanks

thanks

Cool! I understand that it is a huge undertaking for you guys.

Also nearly never mentioned in such VR-related topic, are the performances and bottleneck of the head sets themselves.

Basically, with the hardware many posters have, a good headset should provide them with far better playing experience than it is the case at the moment.

VR headset manufacturers have failed so far to come anywhere near the levels of sharpness offered by screens and if you compare what is possible with the use of witch hats and VR there is a question everyone should be asking.

WHY is it apparently impossible for them to provide us with the same level of sharpness with a headset when in fact, the total field of view is often lower?

I think the real bottleneck is not DCS not the hardware we pay for but the VR head sets themselves, they are behind in terms of development.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.