AV-8B, A-10C or F/A-18C Hornet. Which one to pick?

Mr.Scar

I have a TM Warthog Throttle for sale, only 1 year old :). Got the Winwing F18 Throttle for 3rd generation jets and ordered the Kanttorin Kone for WW2 and 1st generation jets. Based in the UK

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

I have a TM Warthog Throttle for sale, only 1 year old :). Got the Winwing F18 Throttle for 3rd generation jets and ordered the Kanttorin Kone for WW2 and 1st generation jets. Based in the UK

May I ask what that Kanttorin Kone is priced at? :)

I know someone looking for one. How much?

Buzz

My current favorite jet for the past several months is the mirage. But the hornet really does give you a ton of options and different ways to play this sim. I think hornet is good to start with, then get some extra stuff if you get bored of it.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Hornet does everything, but has no character.... You fly a sturdy weapons platform...

Harier goes vertical, and you dont need airstrips nor carriers... ;).

The Hog, meh wait for A10 II man, its not worth it now if in a few months teh new one is coming out and we frankly dont know what happesn to the old...

For what it's worth, I had the same question when buying my first modules.

I wanted a fighter and ground attack jet. Ended up with...

AV-8B Harrier and Mirage 2000

Why? After reading many many opinions, I went for the planes that were most fun rather than most capable. I'd recommend both these aircraft whole heartedly. Harrier does lack missions and campaigns at this time. Mirage has awesome bundled campaign.

Thank you once again, for all the feedback and information. I do not exclude the F-18, the Harrier or the Mirage. That I am sure of.

What really convinced me to try out the Hog are the posts of Buzz and Hawkeye_UK. The Hog is a really specialized aircraft, yes, however thanks to that it is slow, it provides ample learning opportunities that then can be applied to other aircraft. Like for example learning the RWR and symbols in a correct way, threat evasion, and SA based on sensors. Lessons invaluable i feel for when the Hornet time comes for example.

I`d say there is nothing wrong with learning any of the modules, I simply choose the Hog because it suits my style and it basically babysits me on my way of learning it. Also, i kinda feel like a medieval warrior while flying it. Where the Hog is the shield to protect me and those behind me.

Maybe Im just old and don`t make much sense since DCS is "only" a simulation, but i simply love the idea of protecting allied ground units and raining hell on those who want to hurt them.

As for learning the Hog

I went through Chucks guide yesterday, and did the training missions up until the Gau-8 and unguided rockets. And boy oh boy... how does the Hog fly.

Controls are very intuitive, all the required stuff is always in my face and if not I can switch it when I want. The munitions programming software is just amazing.

In general, although the Hog seemed to me simple at first, there is much complexity hidden under the obvious and intuitive things. And thats what I start to love about the Hog, it starts out quite easy to teach you the general things so that In time i will be able to tinker around different settings to customize things more to my liking.

Sorry for not using any acronyms for specific systems, im still learning and memorizing them. But in the end, after flying the Hog for around 3 hours of training missions, I can say... this is it. This is what i wanted, and I think after learning it, it will be even more fun to have my hands on the A-10C II once it comes out.

And as for other planes? Their time will come to, i wont be surprised if after the Hog, learning the Hornet,Viper or even the Harrier will be easier for me :)

In the meantime, fly safe.

Edited by Mr.Scar

The Kanttorin Kone is priced at 650 Euros plus shipping. Ordered at the beginning of August should be complete at the end of September. See website

https://www.kanttorinkone.com/console.html

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

I would say around 200 Euros plus shipping. Suspect shipping is expensive due to size and weight

Generally I prefer the F/A 18, but . I would say A10C anyway because it would fit best in the collection of what you already have.

(Have to mention that beside I only now F/A 18, not the Harrier.)

Maybe you should now only decide the order of modules to buy ;)

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Generally I prefer the F/A 18, but . I would say A10C anyway because it would fit best in the collection of what you already have.

(Have to mention that beside I only now F/A 18, not the Harrier.)

Maybe you should now only decide the order of modules to buy ;)

Hehe, yeah I own a lot of modules... and I`m a bit ashamed to admit that although my history with DCS reaches out to around 2012 and I have still not mastered any of the aircraft.

But this is about to change with the Warthog :)

Mr Scar...................I'm glad you like the Hog. I was worried because I know what I said swayed you in that direction. I also said I was going to concentrate on it too. That may have changed for me. I've already flown the Hog for years. I've also flown the Viper in BMS for 20 years and I can't get in to the DCS version it's so incomplete right now. Maybe later.

What I did get interested in last night was the new Raven One campaign for the Hornet. I even went and bought the book that the campaign is based on. I've flown the Hornet off and on but never gave it my full attention. I think i'll give it the attention it deserves with the goal of doing the Raven One campaign. I'll need to buy the Supercarrier and the Persian Gulf map but I wanted them anyway. I watched a couple of YouTubes on the Raven One campaign and it has me hooked.

Enjoy the Hog.

Buzz

Yes, things you mention are also in my scope of interest :) Raven one campaign also Got my attention, and i Will most probably try it when i Focus on the Hornet.

But for now, The Hog is what got me hooked.

Sorry for typos, using my Phone.

Yes, things you mention are also in my scope of interest :) Raven one campaign also Got my attention, and i Will most probably try it when i Focus on the Hornet.

But for now, The Hog is what got me hooked.

Sorry for typos, using my Phone.

You did it! You went and did it! You drank the Hawg Koolaid!

Gooooood, gooooooooood. :lol:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

To the OP question: It sort of depends on what floats your boat. If you want to root around in the dirt and do CAS all day, then definitely the HOG. If you want multi-role and you could ONLY fly one - then the Hornet.

However, when the new F-15E from RAZBAM comes out - I suspect the "If I could only fly one jet" answer will change for a lot of folks.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I'm not being fair to the HOG and it deserves more from me. I'm going to put the Hornet on hold and give the Hog my full focus.

I can always go to the Hornet later and the Viper too when they're both finished.

Now I start to feel bad that I, swayed your decision. But so far, as an aspiring Hog driver and from a nuggets perspective I can tell that the Hog is really taking care of me. And I think I understand also why it deserves more frome me too :)

As for what Notso wrote. Funny thing you mention the F-15E, because when i began with DCS my favourite was the F-15C and i recall the Eagle with a lot of nostalgia. It was my entry point to this World.

But i stick to the Hog now :)