Anyone planning on getting the 3090 for VR?

kevman

Rtx 3090 VS Rtx 3080. Leaked benchmarks too minimum to justify 800 to 1000 dollars extra. Going Tomorrow for the 3080 and hopes for 90 fps in my hp reverb. :D

These, like many other YT vids, are not real benchmarks. The embargo was lifted today on the 3080, and all trusted reviewers are showing a measly 20% improvement on the 2080 Ti in games.

I really hope for way better things from the 3090 when the real benchmarks appear this time next week, otherwise I'll be hanging on to my 2080 Ti!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90 fps with low settings at 100% rendering should be achievable

Not with a VIC-20 it won't. :thumbup:

These, like many other YT vids, are not real benchmarks. The embargo was lifted today on the 3080, and all trusted reviewers are showing a measly 20% improvement on the 2080 Ti in games.

I really hope for way better things from the 3090 when the real benchmarks appear this time next week, otherwise I'll be hanging on to my 2080 Ti!

By hyping performance so much with the Digital Foundaries video I feel that they have shot themselves in the foot. Instead of being happy with c+20% at 1440p or - far more importantly - c+30% at 4K (cause really the 3080 is a 4K card... for 1440p a 2080 Ti is sufficient), instead people are disappointed by not getting c.50% improvement relative from a 2080 Ti.

No doubt they thought they were being smart. But it is not looking that way right now. Regardless they will still sell out initial supplies.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not with a VIC-20 it won't. :thumbup:

By hyping performance so much with the Digital Foundaries video I feel that they have shot themselves in the foot. Instead of being happy with c+20% at 1440p or - far more importantly - c+30% at 4K (cause really the 3080 is a 4K card... for 1440p a 2080 Ti is sufficient), instead people are disappointed by not getting c.50% improvement relative from a 2080 Ti.

No doubt they thought they were being smart. But it is not looking that way right now. Regardless they will still sell out initial supplies.

Really not sure why people are disappointed - sure its not the unicorn values of 50% better than the 2080ti but it is still MUCH better than what we got with Turing on a performance to price front. I mean the 2080 was no better than the 1080ti on release for $800 - complete joke.

I agree that it would be difficult to upgrade from a 2080ti though - but the ti upgrade is the 3090 (or awaited 3080ti)

some pricing...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/computer-cards-components/video-graphics-cards/abcat0507002.c?id=abcat0507002&qp=gpusv_facet%3DGraphics%20Processing%20Unit%20(GPU)~NVIDIA%20GeForce%20RTX%203090%5Egpusv_facet%3DGraphics%20Processing%20Unit%20(GPU)~NVIDIA%20GeForce%20RTX%203080%5Egpusv_facet%3DGraphics%20Processing%20Unit%20(GPU)~NVIDIA%20GeForce%20RTX%203070%5Egpusv_facet%3DGraphics%20Processing%20Unit%20(GPU)~NVIDIA%20GeForce%20RTX%203060

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Really not sure why people are disappointed - sure its not the unicorn values of 50% better than the 2080ti but it is still MUCH better than what we got with Turing on a performance to price front. I mean the 2080 was no better than the 1080ti on release for $800 - complete joke.

I agree that it would be difficult to upgrade from a 2080ti though - but the ti upgrade is the 3090 (or awaited 3080ti)

I agree with that. Also, I am not an expert to say for sure but newer drivers might also give some more boost for those GPUs.

IIRC, it's more of a jump from 1080Ti to 2080 so it seems line. And the more there is a GPU bottleneck, 3080 seems to pull ahead.

Also, 20% increase could make a huge difference for us VR users.

I can't wait to see some DCS specific tests. Maybe MRTV will have something soon.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

IIRC, it's more of a jump from 1080Ti to 2080 so it seems line. And the more there is a GPU bottleneck, 3080 seems to pull ahead.

Also, 20% increase could make a huge difference for us VR users.

I can't wait to see some DCS specific tests. Maybe MRTV will have something soon.

I'd like to think it would make a big difference in VR, but all it would probably mean is a reduction in frame times from 15ms to 12. Or switch on a bit of eye candy that wasn't there before.

Still going to be on motionreprojection locked 45fps.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hmm... I've just read that coil whine might be a re-emerging problem on the 3080 and 3090.

Yeah there was coil whine when the fps was over 300, under that should not be the problem. I hope.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

It seems that neither the 3080 or 3090 are going to be as good as the hype would suggest for someone like me who wants the best performance I can get for a reasonable price for DCS World in VR. I was originally planning on a 3090 and decided the 3080 was a much better value. But as more realistic benchmarks have become available, if the 3070 or the Big Navi is roughly equal to the 2080 Ti, then I may buy one of those until something better comes along.

I think I would be better off building a new PC and buying a used 2080 Ti then getting a 3090.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I saw an interesting commentary on the 3090 here

It seems 7nm yields were all sucked up by AMD. The yield calculations were also interesting. I think NVIDIA (as well as Intel?) would have liked some of that 7 nm goodness. Unfortunately, the Samsung 8 nm process is close to 7 in name only. Now, The 3090 reminds me of the hot, power hungry cards AMD used to make. Remember the R9 295? or even the Titan Z? GPU-z says my titan Pascal uses 220w in DCS.The 3090 is listed at 350 watts but you know the overclock will push that number higher. I can only imagine how 400 watts or more will sound/feel.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

While a 3090 may not be necessary for VR in DCS, it'll bring much more luxury options to the table. Higher SS + AA, maxing out ingame visual settings, maybe finally have the belly to counter DCS's VRAM hunger. For me, it's CUDA power for 1.5K $ is the most important, it's a bombastic jump in performance and will help a lot with rendering and calculation workloads.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Well the Founders Edition 3080 cards that were being tested were drawing peak power of 370W and mostly performance was power limited, not limited by silicon voltage, or crashing. Some of the 3x 8 pin AIB cards are rumoured to have power limits of c.420W. It is likely that Ampere will overclock well, if it get a high enough power limit. But that is 420W... on the 3080, not the 3090. And that is just the GPU, not total system draw.

Now, if you are looking for a new electric heater for your study / office over winter, then I suggest you forget the space heater, buy one of these GPUs instead and overclock it. You get buttery smooth 4K gaming thrown in for free!

I gotta say that the performance and test results seem yesterday were very interesting. Nvidia's Digital Foundry paid promotion of cherry picked benchmarks was accurate, but highly misleading with all sorts of shenanigans (like cherry picking game settings requiring 9GB and comparing a 10GB card to an 8GB previous generation card). Now we see a range of performance expectations on raster based games at 4K: the generational leap is very good, but not astounding. But the really kick in the nuts is the power consumption that comes with that extra performance.

Now you might not care about polar bears and Saint Greta of Stockholm. But regardless of you do, you don't, picture this: you are in your DCS F-14B, Jester has a lock and you vector for an intercept and kick in afterburner. Do you hear the roar of the afterburner? No. You hear your GPU fans at 1,900 rpm and an annoying buzzzzz from GPU coil whine! And while 370W, 400W whatever might be quite cozy in the middle of December or January with snow outside, do I really want to run DCS in Summer when it will turn the office into a Turkish Sauna?

I gotta say, all this has gotten my checking out the Big Navi rumours. If the 6900 XT can match or even exceed 3080 by some measure, and do that consuming less power and costing a bit less that could end up being the winner, winner, chicken dinner here. Rumours are top Big Navi will have 80 GPU compute units, 16GB of GDDR (so no fears of running into memory limits) narrower memory bus but bigger L4 cache so comparable effective bandwidth. And all this with TSMC 7nm+ goodness.

Yeah the Samsung 8nm decision showed you that they were more focused on their profit margin than they were customer satisfaction.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also remember it will heavily depend on the VR Headset the reverb is functionally 4k+ ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Will wait and see if they release a 3080Ti. I usually get the xx80Ti.

The 3090 founders is USD 2,100 here in not-America. I generally buy the AIO version so 200 on top of that.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Spam clicked at Best Buy for the first 5 minutes of 3080 release for the FE, never showed in stock until it showed sold out. Also every other site I've looked at is showing 3080s as sold out. I was more using it as a test run for the 3090 next week, but they are for real when they say limited stock. It may naturally end up that I wait for a 3080Ti/S 20gb version now that maybe available end of October. As long as it is $1k or so I feel it will be worth with how we can expect all the prices to go up. And also it would give a better idea of what Big Nabi will be offering. We'll see I guess.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Yeah EVGA site seems to have gone down now, can not even connect.

Craziness.

Probably not going to bode well for me to be able to snag a 3090 next week.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is pretty funny: FE went straight from "notify me" to "out of stock" at £649 in UK.

Asus TUF went from £649 before release to £799.99 in the UK when I last looked.

I ain't playing this game. I am checking out. I'll wait for the 6900 XT announcement and reassess then. Not saying I will not get Ampere, just that I will keep my money and make an informed decision. And I will not pay scalper prices for any of this consumer tech. All this stuff is landfill in 5 years time anyways. Alright... slight exaggeration, but it is not like buying AMD shares when they were at $2.50 / share!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is pretty funny: FE went straight from "notify me" to "out of stock" at £649 in UK.

Asus TUF went from £649 before release to £799.99 in the UK when I last looked.

I ain't playing this game. I am checking out. I'll wait for the 6900 XT announcement and reassess then. Not saying I will not get Ampere, just that I will keep my money and make an informed decision. And I will not pay scalper prices for any of this consumer tech. All this stuff is landfill in 5 years time anyways. Alright... slight exaggeration, but it is not like buying AMD shares when they were at $2.50 / share!

I had auto-notify setup on all of Best Buy, NewEgg, and Nvidia 3080s and didn't get a single notification/email. But the only one I actively was trying to buy with was the FE. I'll still play the game next week if the 3090 prices don't skyrocket. But if not I'll just hope I don't have to use my savings for something by the time the 3080 20gb come out. But will also give AMD a look.

If this is really Nvidia artificially setting the scarcity and low advertised price as Moore's Law is Dead and others claim, I think they shot themselves in the foot.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

I doubt the scarcity is artificial.

Crappy samsung 8nm yields combined with covid delays probably means that building up inventory just wasn't a possibility and that this is a 100% paper launch.

People looking at the actual binning say that blaming Samsung's process is just a rumor specifically fed to give Nvidia an out. The Covid delays would be legitimate. For more details read the Moore's Law is Dead article linked.

I received my Nvidia notification email at 7:14am PST, probably an hour and 12 minutes late

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/amp/nvidia-s-ultimate-play

Key part of article:

Nvidia wants to keep their 50%+ average margins while pretending they are offering good value.

They seek to accomplish this by selling incredible Founders Editions with low margins (at MSRP) from their website, but with painfully limited stock by design.

Nvidia knows that if they get stellar Day One reviews praising Ampere for its performance and value, they will win back the hearts of gamers – which they lost with Turing – before RDNA 2 launches. Most people only read and remember the Day One reviews.

There should be AIB models available day 1, but I am told only ~20% of the stock is required to be near MSRP, and likely in models with far inferior coolers to the FE design. Already a glance at some of the announced AIB cards shows that indeed, these are not going to be sold at MSRP: https://www.techspot.com/news/86681-aftermarket-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-card-prices-revealed.html

Additionally, Nvidia is allegedly causing supply of all Ampere models (including AIB) to be artificially limited during the first month of sales. Nvidia is supposedly doing so by controlling some key components AIBs need. I was able to independently verify this with an AIB who said “There will be low stock at launch, but it’s just propaganda.”

Ampere demand will outstrip the initial stock, and so the price will balloon by October.

Eventually, this stock issue will suddenly disappear, much sooner than we have been led to believe with rumors about bad yields.

If all of this is true, Nvidia could state that the elevated prices aren’t their doing, and they could do so while pointing to a very limited number of cards that sell for MSRP every week. Likely models with the cheapest coolers.

The double memory versions of cards (RTX 3080 20GB, RTX 3070 16GB) should land roughly around when Nvidia stuffs the inventory in October. These will also come with a far higher price than the original models.

I can confirm that the double memory cards will not be sold from Nvidia’s website, and thus they will be able to claim AIBs are behind the price hike. These marked up cards are likely what Nvidia really wants you all to buy, and yet all those Day One reviews will say the 3080 is “Just $700.” Having your cake and eating it too.

Samsung’s 8nm node sounds much more able than previously reported by MLID. It doesn’t sound like there are “yield” problems on Samsung’s glorified 10nm node in 2020. At least not problems big enough to cause Ampere stock to be as low as it will be artificially at launch.

Also rumor has it Nvidia is giving AIB partners $50USD per card through September to keep prices lower, expect price bump even without market pressures in October.

Edited by Snake122
Added article link and key points

I had one in the cart... then a crash, and gone... oh well...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control