(New info?)Shimmering trees etc. in VR

TripRodriguez

Hey guys. So one of the three things that has been driving in crazy in DCS VR for over three years is the shimmering effect of the forests and various other scenery objects.

Yes, I've maxed out MSAA, I've maxed out both AA settings, and I've tried probably every possible combination of the two, and I've tried lots of super-sampling with and without AA. MSAA definitely helps, but it's still enough to drive me crazy. At least one of the other popular flight sims does not have this problem, so I know it's not a problem that can't be fixed on current hardware.

Two or three years ago I reported it as a bug, but ED said they wanted video and I had no way to capture through the lens footage so it didn't go anywhere.

That being the case, this recent quote from the devs of another flight sim REALLY caught my attention: (if you want to know the source google the quote)

"Asobo and I have years of experience with VR. We know what a lazy and a good implementation look like. We want to bring a good solution, for example by cutting off the cockpit from the rest of the world. Then you can move freely in it, and the world in the background does not start to shimmer. We have started with VR, but we want to do it right."

Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge or skills to try to track this down, but that quote makes it sound like this "shimmering" problem is a well known issue with experienced VR developers and has a solution that ED might be able to implement.

I have no idea where to go with this, so I'm posting it here hoping someone else will be able to figure it out or ask people who would know about this sort of thing.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Yeah , the shimmering and flickering in VR drives me nuts as well . Hope this is addressed somehow in the new engine .

If that new/old sim succeeds in eliminating it , that will be reason enough alone to purchase it...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , the shimmering and flickering in VR drives me nuts as well . Hope this is addressed somehow in the new engine .

If that new/old sim succeeds in eliminating it , that will be reason enough alone to purchase it...

What worries me is that this quote I posted implies that there is a sort of trick to fixing this that ED isn't aware of, and that as a result it may not be fixed for years. =(

As for the other sim, I said long ago that I'll buy it as soon as it has VR support. That notwithstanding, I know that the vast majority of my sim time will always be in DCS so I wan't this fixed!

Also, thanks for reminding me that our authoritarian rulers do not allow mention of other sims by name. ;P Names have been removed from OP to protect the guilty.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

This statement bothers me a little tho...

"Then you can move freely in it, and the world in the background does not start to shimmer. We have started with VR, but we want to do it right."

You don't have to move in the cockpit to experience the godawful shimmering and flickering in DCS VR . Hoping the G2's higher resolution relative to my S will help .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I mean shimmering is still a thing with the reverb. Pumping up the SS in steam helps alot, but performance is the price.

I'm not gonna get into a VR war with "the other sim" as it still doesn't have it, and TBH their gfx implementation of terrain is terrible anyway.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Gotta be honest, that new 2020 flight Sim release looks like a cartoon cockpit superimposed over a photo of the real world. No buy in at all as far as my eyes are concerned.

If that’s what “ cutting off the outside world” means, they can keep it, I’ll take my stuttering.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I would be willing to burn a lot of performance to lose that shimmering ! It really ruins the otherwise-stellar graphics of DCS .

Wanna see bad terrain ? Try Aerosoft ! The only sim i've ever flown whose graphics kinda turn my stomach .

Between the shimmering and the further loss of performance to be expected with the new clouds and weather arriving (several years) before the new engine , i fear being forced into another sim in lieu of DCS anyway .

TAA (temporal anti-aliasing) is very effective in eliminating shimmering at the cost of slightly softer image which can be countered by a sharpening filter, it is a bummer we don't have that option with DCS. It works really well in other flightsims.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'd like the option to turn off the trees entirely

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

While my hardware & software is not able to eliminate the shimmering my bioware is with a little help. Perhaps It is not appropriate to tell you how I achieve this :-). Under the influence of some Jazz music I do not realize any shimmering anymore.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 12:09 AM, Motomouse said:

While my hardware & software is not able to eliminate the shimmering my bioware is with a little help. Perhaps It is not appropriate to tell you how I achieve this :-). Under the influence of some Jazz music I do not realize any shimmering anymore.

Tried hardcore Art Blakey... Still shimmering. 

Damn, played around with my 3090 for a few days and this is the no. 1 issue that's now preventing me from enjoying the sim to its full. The other is the the terrible gamma, and the "haze" in the distance. But that might be just time of day/weather. 

So no real fix for this? I was thinking of experimenting with MSAA and PD, while turning off supersampling out of the game. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

Damn, played around with my 3090 for a few days and this is the no. 1 issue that's now preventing me from enjoying the sim to its full. The other is the the terrible gamma, and the "haze" in the distance. But that might be just time of day/weather. 

So no real fix for this? I was thinking of experimenting with MSAA and PD, while turning off supersampling out of the game. 

I haven't read the whole thread,  Maybe this was mentioned: 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

If you are using MSAA, make sure you set your Antialiasing - Transparancy to MultiSample.  This controls the apha textures in trees and vegetation.  If you are using SuperSampling, set it to match your level of Supersampling.  So, if you are using Supersampling x2 in DCS, set it to 2X (supersample). 

14 hours ago, glide said:

If you are using MSAA, make sure you set your Antialiasing - Transparancy to MultiSample.  This controls the apha textures in trees and vegetation.  If you are using SuperSampling, set it to match your level of Supersampling.  So, if you are using Supersampling x2 in DCS, set it to 2X (supersample). 

Ok, thats an interesting tip. When you write "Supersampling x2 in DCS" do you mean P.D. x2 or another setting? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.