DCS:BS Preview in SimHQ

Gas

Yes, agreed. Better wait and release full product with less bugs than faster with more bugs ect like prevorious.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

why not here?

Yeah..might have been my fault too though because using FSScreen the "PrtScrn" button is the same one that triggers the in-game screenshots too. Wish I could post more of the fantastic screens I took for the article. It was hard to cull them from a hundred down to just four. We weren't asked to limit the shots (the number that appeared in the article)..but I think it is keeping with the spirit of the "preview" to not saturate the community with them.

Regards..

BeachAV8R

I hope you find a way to post some of your screen shots here. I, for one, would appreciate it very much.

Many happy wishes for you and your intended. :)

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Can you say a little bit more about how well it runs on your system, let's say compared to FC? IIRC someone from ED has stated some time ago that BS will tax the system only marginally more than FC, because the engine has been tweaked heavily. That's hard to believe though, seeing all the improvements.

I'd rather let someone from ED make comments and valuations on system specs since I'm just a beta tester (tricky to talk about this stuff without violating the NDA ya' know?). What isn't a mystery is that my system is about 3 years old, is a P4 3.4 (not overclocked) 2 GB of system RAM, and the video card is an BFG 6800GT PCIe (256MB). When I flew and recorded the video I would guess I got about a 20% reduction in FPS because of the FRAPS overhead...but as you can see, the video is still pretty smooth. Granted, there wasn't much going on. As I mentioned, I had most of the settings at MEDIUM (similar settings to what you see in Flaming Cliffs) and a few like "scenes" to HIGH. I'm not a real guru on what settings most affect FPS and where you can give and take..I just messed around and found a good mix that worked at 1280 x 1024 resolution.

I think it is reasonable to assume that if I loaded up an airfield attack mission with 20 planes and helicopters zooming around blowing stuff up that my FPS would drop significantly. Then again, with this current rig, I couldn't max out Flaming Cliffs either..that sim I played with pretty much the same settings (MED mostly and some HIGH) as I'm playing Black Shark.

I'm not a coder or a graphics or objects guy..so I can't tell you if in the development time that is left if FPS or optimization or whatever they call it will cause performance to go up or down or stay the same. As you can see from the Mod Team..who are doing unbelievable work...the airfields have more objects and look like real, inhabited places now. That doesn't come without a polygon price. The new trees, landscape textures, and pavement and apron graphics are really, really nice. They really help impart the feeling of low flight and (in my opinion) give a nice bit of depth perception and...uh..I guess I could call it "gritty realism". Things look a little dirty and smudged..stains on the ramp..exhaust marks. It just sort of feels really lived in. Ya'll will dig it..very good for helicopter ops...

And I'm pretty enthused..(as you can tell) and I haven't even scratched the surface. Seriously - I haven't even armed the weapons panel or used the ABRIS yet! All I've done is start the thing and fly around a little. And I don't even know half the gauges or switches yet.

There is a lot to discover... And I'll remind people that there is an EASY mode..so don't let my thoughts on the coolness of the complexity scare the "lite" simmers away. ;)

Sorry 'bout the long response..

BeachAV8R

• Like 1

LLTM movie is the best BS movie I've ever seen. Your movie is the second on the podium :thumbup:

:D LLTM vid is incredible. That monitor setup and touch screens are just jaw dropping. And unlike me...that dude can fly and manage all those systems on the fly. I have to find a safe place to sit and hover or land..then look around the cockpit for the switch I'm trying to find.. :D I know I'll get better as I get more familiar. I think Shepski and some of the other guys can get that baby started in about 2 minutes or so I'll bet... Not me though..

:geek:

BeachAV8R

in other words 'I just work here'

Nah..it ain't work. That is actually the great thing about being afforded the opportunity to write up my observations. I get to participate in a hobby I love..and admittedly get to see the stuff early and see how it makes it to market. It has been very interesting to watch. I'll tell you, the real beta testers are really a fantastic and dedicated bunch. They work very hard and repeat test after test exhaustively (they aren't just tooling around like me..) and go back and re-test after adjustments are made. And it isn't glamorous stuff..it is things like verifying radio frequencies work and making sure textures and terrains and stuff work..and doing the millions of things that the end user *might* think of..all kinds of combinations of switches and settings and stuff. They are real pros and it is neat to see them work at it.

BeachAV8R

its an answer you use when someone turns into a why bird [5 yr old] or you dont know the answer too .e.g.

why is this, why is that...

answer "I jus' work here mate, I dont run it"

you do the job your payed for or you cant be botherd to tell the proper answer.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Just a quick note about the graphics bug - it's an actual bug, not related to outside software. It probably has to do with the move to DX-9. Hopefully, it will get fixed before release.

Ah..thanks for clarifying that EB.. Just curious..it isn't always there is it?? Because I flew that thing around for hours and hours last week and I never even caught it.. :D Maybe I was concentrating too much on flying..

:joystick:

Oh..wait..I can answer my own question. Of course it isn't always there because I have about 10 other close up screens where it isn't. Must be a certain condition that causes it..

At least I know it isn't FRAPS or FSScreen that did it.. :thumbup:

BeachAV8R, I just read that your article on SimHQ. Just some minor notes- the APU doesn't provide electrical power, it gives only pneumatic power (bleed air) for main engines start ;) As for hovering and maneuvering- do you use trim button? Because I got the impression you don't ;) Even in manual mode (autohover not engaged) you can completely let go on the stick once the helicopter is trimmed at hover. :)

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• ED Team
:) I think the 3 styles will compliment each other well. GA's "Hollywood" to get us pumped, Wags Producer's Notes to show us technical features & developments, and mine to see how even a dumb ole' fixed wing pilot can sort of clumsily manage to "divinely hover" for a while...

Yup, and this is how it should be.

Sure i could make a movie where i fly, with in-game sounds and no cutting. But other people can do this. My goal is to create stuff that makes you wanna jump into the game when the credits start rolling.

My approach really reflects the "hollywood-style" i think :D :P

• ED Team
Just some minor notes- the APU doesn't provide electrical power, it gives only pneumatic power (bleed air) for main engines start ;)

But same time turbo gear connected with APU works fine and enables use of onboard generators (same as used in flight).

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

Thanks for the info AirTito - I just assumed that the APU was there to provide electrical power. But just to be clear, if I'm running the APU, and the battery is ON..is there a danger of depleting the battery if I'm running electrical systems at that point (assuming ground power isn't hooked up)? Or can I (if I'm reading Laivynas's post right) also then turn on the onboard generators and have that provide electrical power?

As for hovering and maneuvering- do you use trim button? Because I got the impression you don't ;) Even in manual mode (autohover not engaged) you can completely let go on the stick once the helicopter is trimmed at hover.

No, I haven't mapped the trim to my stick yet. :lookaround: I still haven't sat down and figured up a good profile for my X52..there is so much to learn. I should probably start with the basics like trim and other functions that would actually be on the real stick. I'll ask in the other forum if I can get someone to send me their X52 profile and start from there! Can't wait to try out the autohover..(my shoulders will be happy for that feature!).. :D

My goal is to create stuff that makes you wanna jump into the game when the credits start rolling.

And you do it spectacularly! I've loved all your videos...and most of the time they leave me scratching my head and asking "How did he do that??!" You manage to find the coolest camera angles and perspectives..great stuff..

:thumbup:

BeachAV8R

• Like 1

Oh..and one other correction. In the article I said the nosewheel was "steerable"..when in fact it is a free castering nosewheel. Once you have some momentum, the rudders do sort of feel like they are steering it..but they aren't..you are just imparting some force on the nose and making it freely rotate. I found that "leaning" the rotor system into the turn with the cyclic can help ease the free castering at very low speeds too. Just FYI.. :) And thanks for the correction EvilBivol!

• Like 1

• ED Team
Thanks for the info AirTito - I just assumed that the APU was there to provide electrical power. But just to be clear, if I'm running the APU, and the battery is ON..is there a danger of depleting the battery if I'm running electrical systems at that point (assuming ground power isn't hooked up)? Or can I (if I'm reading Laivynas's post right) also then turn on the onboard generators and have that provide electrical power?

As per simulated a/c APU can be used (separately!) for two different operations:

1). Engines startup

2). Running generators

1st is known option. :)

2nd one is not. Ground crew must make some adjustments (not familiar with details), establish some kind of connection between APU and main rotor gearbox, same time disabling APU engine startup functions. After this operation You'll have small electricity plant with You. :) It'll provide electricity for all cocpit systems (invertor which is running with batteries can't do this).

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак