External model comparison

Does anyone have some A-10C vs A-10C II external model comparison pictures? I'd just like to see how much of a difference there is (i.e., worth upgrading, or can you barely tell what's changed?). It's difficult to compare just by watching the youtube videos.

The systems are what makes it worth upgrading. The HMCS/HMIT alone is worth it, then add the APKS, laser guided rockets and GBU54 - easy choice. For $10, can’t go wrong,

They’ve made the wrinkles, rivets and dents from AAR much more noticeable, along with removing the sensor/optic hanging from the right front nose area (forgot what it was called).

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Yes, the additional systems are nice.

So just some more details on the nose? You'd think "Updated and improved external model" would be more extensive.

If I had to guess they aren’t finished yet. For example you can see some errors where the pave penny pylon use to be on the model currently.

There are 3 major changes on external part:

- bomped nose

- Pave Penny removed

- sat radio antenna added

They also said it has higher quality textures. I can't see that, but looking at new Hog reduces fps, so it might be true ;)

Yes, the additional systems are nice.

So just some more details on the nose? You'd think "Updated and improved external model" would be more extensive.

Well it is, when you read what I wrote above - aside from the “pave penny pod” as Snoopy correctly referenced and I couldn’t. Thanks Snoopy. Also the interior got some love.

The improvements to exterior model are all over the aircraft. Several people have made videos and put them on YouTube. But in the end, it’s up to you if you want to buy it or not. At the current price of $10, it’s a no brained. At the soon to be increased price of $20, still beyond worth it, to me at least - but no point to spend $10 more by being indecisive - so I purchased it on release day, and glad I did.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

You say there are improvements all over the aircraft, and that's what I was asking about. Are there any comparison pics to see what's been done? I don't see any direct comparisons on youtube.

$10 isn't a big deal, and it's great that they put effort into the Hog, but if someone doesn't need the new weapons, and doesn't have a VR setup in order to use the HMCS effectively, and if all the cockpit and flight model improvements have already been incorporated into the previous A-10C, and if the A-10C II may or may not work with current DLC, and if they won't say when it will work on the stable version, and if you have to remap your HOTAS, then the only feature that might be worthwhile for that person would be if the exterior looked amazingly better.

If they just added some bumps and removed a pod it doesn't seem like much. If there actually is an extensively improved model, I'd like to see the difference. That's all I was asking.

You say there are improvements all over the aircraft, and that's what I was asking about. Are there any comparison pics to see what's been done? I don't see any direct comparisons on youtube.

$10 isn't a big deal, and it's great that they put effort into the Hog, but if someone doesn't need the new weapons, and doesn't have a VR setup in order to use the HMCS effectively, and if all the cockpit and flight model improvements have already been incorporated into the previous A-10C, and if the A-10C II may or may not work with current DLC, and if they won't say when it will work on the stable version, and if you have to remap your HOTAS, then the only feature that might be worthwhile for that person would be if the exterior looked amazingly better.

If they just added some bumps and removed a pod it doesn't seem like much. If there actually is an extensively improved model, I'd like to see the difference. That's all I was asking.

I don’t have direct photo comparisons but I’m sure they are out there. Worth a Google search, or watching a YouTube video. This one shows the exterior quite nicely at some point in the video, check it out:

I wouldn’t use that video as a reference for systems status, as the creator has issues with the HMCS LOS TGP slew (which is resolvable in a setting inside the HMCS STAT page) but to be fair I believe he even says something about “not really digging into it too much.”

Cheers,

Ziptie

you really dont need VR to make the HMCS effective, it already changes situational awareness by atleast 10x

at the end of it its your money, do you want new weapons and an an HMD system or no?

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

The dings on the nose from inept AAR are worth it for me. Now it LOOKS like its my Hog!

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I dont have VR, just TrackIR and i love the HMCS, the new details on external model and new weapons a great (oh man those APKWS rockets...).

I think that por less than 10 dollars the upgrade are a robbery.

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Got to say I agree with everyone else...at $10 this is a no-brainer. Just buy it.

I love the fact that we can fly two versions of the A-10C now....I hope they never de-activate/withdraw support for the old one.

Am enjoying re-acquainting myself with the most in-depth/most fully complete, complex module eg systems, damage model, campaigns etc

My 2c.

:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

The 3D model has no changes except the removal of the pave penny and addition of an antenna.

The pilot's helmet has changed.

Some textures now have bump-mapping (nosejob and rivets on the tails).

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s