HMCS question

For the life of me i am unable to make HMCS SOI. and sometimes going from MFCD as SOI to HUD as SOI (same coolie combo) does not work. i checked and do not have repeat buttons. any ideas?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

... it's a good chance you simply don't know what you're doing.

thanks for pointing out the obvious. i am probably in the minority of users that do RTFM. i will keep trying. thanks for the help.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

thanks for pointing out the obvious. i am probably in the minority of users that do RTFM. i will keep trying. thanks for the help.

Don't let the exceptionally harsh post discourage you. Selecting the HMCS used to be coolie switch forward/up - but has now been changed to coolie switch aft/down, as they eventually pointed out. This HOTAS command logic was changed with the most recent update.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Don't let the exceptionally harsh post discourage you. Selecting the HMCS used to be coolie switch forward/up - but has now been changed to coolie switch aft/down, as they eventually pointed out. This HOTAS command logic was changed with the most recent update.

Cheers,

Ziptie

thanks ziptie. i prefer the assistance in the form of an answer instead of alluding to i am inept. fine i get it that people are dumb sometimes but there is no purpose calling them dumb. i honestly do read the manual, i watch vids, and i practice as much as i can. i also do a search on Google and in DCS forums before i post.

I think I have an answer for you. I came here because I was having the exact same issue. I checked my control options and noticed that "Coolie Hat Down Down" command had been mapped to "coolie hat up" on my throttle, and the "Coolie Hat Up" command had not been mapped at all. I have no idea how this came to be, since I never edited the coolie hat command. I even deleted the sim and re-added it when I could not get it to work the first time. I guess I should have checked the controller files first thing.:)

thanks ziptie. i prefer the assistance in the form of an answer instead of alluding to i am inept. fine i get it that people are dumb sometimes but there is no purpose calling them dumb. i honestly do read the manual, i watch vids, and i practice as much as i can. i also do a search on Google and in DCS forums before i post.

No worries sir. Yeah this forum has a lot of members who are on the harsh, unhelpful and at times disrespectful in their replies.

I am also like you, do my best to search for the answer before asking a question - but sometimes we just can’t find it. Hopefully you’ve got it sorted now and are back to operating the systems as desired!

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

@Ziptie and @Augermc thanks for the follow ups. i was able to correct the issue i was having. i too can be nasty sometimes. not in a arena like a forum where one can think about what they say before they say it. as it was said, jerks are jerks. i bet many of these sorts of people would not act this way in a line at the grocery store or would get pummeled. anonymous access surely brings out the worst in some "people". thanks again.

In case you don't know. When they changed the keystroke of coolie down for HMCS as SOI. We lost what that keystroke used to be. Which was swap MFD's. So, if you're looking for how to swap MFD's, we lost it. It seems the real plane doesn't have that option.

Buzz

In case you don't know. When they changed the keystroke of coolie down for HMCS as SOI. We lost what that keystroke used to be. Which was swap MFD's. So, if you're looking for how to swap MFD's, we lost it. It seems the real plane doesn't have that option.

so i do notice something. what is coolie hat up or down long supposed to do. it seems that it shows a different screen on MFD as the button is activated.

Coolie Hat Up Long: Messages Quick-Look

Coolie Hat Down Long: DSMS Quick Look

It's been like this for a long time, but Coolie Hat Up Long was previously undocumented in the old A-10.

thanks!

so one last question. i did something on the HOTAS last night that i was unable to rectify. i wanted to advance steerpoint and somehow switched to a mode that displayed all the known airfields in the HUD. i could advance through these. i could not get it back to steerpoints. i just quit the mission. restarted it then was unable to advance steerpoint from 0. i had to quit game to desktop and restarted. after that i was good.

thanks!

so one last question. i did something on the HOTAS last night that i was unable to rectify. i wanted to advance steerpoint and somehow switched to a mode that displayed all the known airfields in the HUD. i could advance through these. i could not get it back to steerpoints. i just quit the mission. restarted it then was unable to advance steerpoint from 0. i had to quit game to desktop and restarted. after that i was good.

Very odd.

So with HUD SOI, DMS forward and aft will cycle through your steer points. There is a difference if you have the CDU toggled to FLT PLAN or MISSION, via the 3 way rotary switch, as to whether or not you can cycle through all steer points, including airfields (MISSION will allow cycling through all, including airfields). If you cycle the CDU 3 way rotary switch to MARK, you will not be able to cycle through anything other than your created mark points.

I'd venture to guess that you might have enabled IFCC SPI. You can *see* what your SPI is by referencing the bottom left of the HUD. If you have something other than STPT as your SPI, TMS aft long will get you back to STPT as SPI. Regardless, you should be able to use the UFC STEER rocker switch to cycle between steer points / mark points (again depending on what position you have the 3 way rotary switch set to on the CDU).

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie
*see*

i did something on the HOTAS last night that i was unable to rectify. i wanted to advance steerpoint and somehow switched to a mode that displayed all the known airfields in the HUD.

Like Ziptie said, it sounds like you might have selected the wrong type of database.

But at this point, a video or a track would be by far the best way for us to figure it out. Preferably a short one.

Flying the Hog is a tough memory test for old farts to remember button presses.

Sure is! I have decided to not fly the A-10C I any more, for the sake of my sanity. And I'm not looking forward to the day I resume flying the Hornet and have to re-learn HOTAS assignments again!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Sure is! I have decided to not fly the A-10C I any more, for the sake of my sanity. And I'm not looking forward to the day I resume flying the Hornet and have to re-learn HOTAS assignments again!

The Hornet might be just as bad once they have the HOTAS updated like the real one.

Buzz

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for late response. i was able to replicate the HUD display that got me starting this post. when i have HUD SOI and do DMSFwd i get SP increment. when i do DMSAft i get the other display showing other known point like bullseye, different airfiields, etc. continuing to do DMSAft cycles through those points. DMSFwd changes back to cycling through SP, MP, etc.

Forward/aft DMS cycles forward or backward through the currently selected waypoint pool. The airfields and bullseye are just later numbers. You can go round and round either direction forward or back.

Waypoint pools:

FLT PLAN just the current flight plan

MSN all mission points (everything but mark points)

MARK all mark points

You can change waypoint pools with the knob on the right console or the UFC buttons.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Traveler said:

My issue is this, what action should I see listed for Coolie Aft/down?  What or where are the HMCS actions listed.  I see nothing listed to map keys to.

@Traveler the coolie down/aft short makes HMCS SOI.