New VR user - G2 edge blur - "slightly underwhelmed"

zildac

Hi All,

So first time VR user here, and reasonably long time TrackIR user. Finally received my preordered G2 yesterday and got it all setup after some faffing about. Now whilst the image quality is very good (but I have to be honest still not as good as TIR on my Predator X34 obviously) the one huge downside is the edge blur I seem to have. For example, in the Hornet looking straight at the HUD previously with TIR I could move my eyes down to the left and read the text easily on the left MFD (Fuel or FCS page mostly) and had no need to move my head, which is useful for AAR or carrier circuits. However, if I do this now the text is in the "blur zone" and I need to physically move my head such that the MFD is almost in the centre (or thereabouts) of the lens, which is s a little frustrating. Tightening the headset side straps and having the facepad tight againsat my face helps a little but it still seems a little disappointing given the rave reviews re image quality. This issue is more pronounced when looking say down to the left and aft (in the Hornet) to the volume dials for the RWR etc as the headset moves a little and all of those dials are then in the "blur zone" unless I press the headset against my face. Is this just the nature of the beast?

I can't believe I'm the only one who has experienced this phenomena , or am I just too used to 2D?

I've messed with the IPD (on the headset) and lookig straight ahead is fine and clear, but the edge blur in my opinion is bad. I'm guessing it isn't such a major issue in FPS games etc (yet to try) but in DCS it's a real pain in the backside.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions or general VR related enlightenment welcomed.

For info I'm running at 50% resolution (native in SteamVR pretty much), SS is on.

Regards,

Ross.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Yes i have noticed the same in my rift s, it has a small sweet spot in the middle of the lens, but looking towards the edge is blurred and more or less useless to see anything. I thought it was only this headset, i dont see that many posts about it but i found it really irritating. To be honest once i got over the initial wow of VR, its not been worth the hassle or expense really. 

• Like 1

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Yeah it's just something to get used to I guess. There is a "sweet spot" in every HMD, which depending on the HMD used is smaller or larger but it is always there. If you think about it your eyes are built in the same way. Good vision forward, peripheral vision which progressively gets worse as you move to the sides. However unlike your eyes, which are independently flexible from your head your HDM is not, so you will need to move your head to get clearer vision. 

I also use the Rift S and don't find the sweet spot too small, or rather I got used to it pretty quickly. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

That’s the way it has been with any VR headsets. People don’t talk about it here because you are in the pro VR forum and immersiveness trumps everything else.

With VR you have to try to avoid glancing to the side or up/down and move your head instead so the area of interest is in the center of the vision to get optimal image.

With TrackIR you have to glance back at the screen while moving your head around, so it isn’t exactly natural either.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yeah, taking a drop in quality from 3440 and TrackIR is a bit of a bummer but I'm hoping I just get used ot it 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah it's just something to get used to I guess. There is a "sweet spot" in every HMD, which depending on the HMD used is smaller or larger but it is always there. If you think about it your eyes are built in the same way. Good vision forward, peripheral vision which progressively gets worse as you move to the sides. However unlike your eyes, which are independently flexible from your head your HDM is not, so you will need to move your head to get clearer vision. 

I also use the Rift S and don't find the sweet spot too small, or rather I got used to it pretty quickly. 

Fingers crossed I will too, just wanted to make sure I hadn;t missed a point somewhere 😉

2 minutes ago, Supmua said:

That’s the way it has been with any VR headsets. People don’t talk about it here because you are in the pro VR forum and immersiveness trumps everything else.

With VR you have to try to avoid glancing to the side or up/down and move your head instead so the area of interest is in the center of the vision to get optimal image.

With TrackIR you have to glance back at the screen while moving your head around, so it isn’t exactly natural either.

That's a fair point, I'll keep conditioning myself and see how it goes.....thanks

Its just a different animal is all. When my doctor put me in bi focals, it used to drive me nuts. Once I “conditioned myself “ to “point with my nose” at the object you want to see, it was a great improvement over a separate pair of “readers “. 
same I suspect with track IR. Move head left, rotate eyes right. Unnatural, but after a while second nature.  You will however never have as sharp a picture with VR. Not currently anyway so you just have to accept that.  Thanks 

• Like 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Welcome to VR. 

Just setup your game so your viewpoint is as smooth as possible and you get over the blurry edge. There will always be a blurry edge as long as there are lenses for the general population.  Focus on the 1:1 tracking, the immersion, depth perception. If you like it, enjoy VR. If you dont, well, there are plenty of buyers for a G2. 😉

And keep your flights rather short in the first month. If you start feeling a bit wierd, take a break. Some get motion sickness from VR when they start (especially if the fps are low).

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Good luck dogfighting, when I pulled the trigger on the G1, I instantly knew VR wasn't "there" just yet in my first dogfight against the AI. 

Lose sight, lose the fight. Yeah, good luck keeping sight when you're basically looking through a pair of binoculars that blur objects approaching the edge of the FOV. 

So if you want to win, you can't lose sight of the target, in order to do so with certainty, you have to point you headset DIRECTLY at the target at all times, to keep it sharp and crisp. If it gets in that blurry edge, you will lose it in the ground clutter and then it's just a race to try and re-acquire it, which again, is a nightmare with low FOV. 

Better take some yoga because in HABFM, you're gonna crank your neck a lot trying to keep the contact in the sweetspot of the G2 in order to prevent it from blurring and losing sight.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gruman said:

Welcome to VR. 

Just setup your game so your viewpoint is as smooth as possible and you get over the blurry edge. There will always be a blurry edge as long as there are lenses for the general population.  Focus on the 1:1 tracking, the immersion, depth perception. If you like it, enjoy VR. If you dont, well, there are plenty of buyers for a G2. 😉

And keep your flights rather short in the first month. If you start feeling a bit wierd, take a break. Some get motion sickness from VR when they start (especially if the fps are low).

Thanks, I'll get it tried out over the next few weeks and see how things go.

Thanks to all for the comments 👍

16 hours ago, JayRoc said:

Try the G2 without the face cover/cushion and see if, with different lens-eye distance, the sweet spot and fov increases.

I'll try, not sure it's going to be particularly comfortable tbh

Its a test. If it increases your FOV and your Sweetspot you can purchase some thin VRCover face cushions to make it comfortable again.

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

I'll give it a try for sure. Can't see anything specific for G2 on VRCover but I'll see if a closer fit increases the sweet spot

Sadly it looks like VRCover focuses 99% of their time with the Quest 2... But there are more universal pads available which can be attached via velcro. Bit DIY, but maybe the increased FOV/Sweetspot is worth it.

It's a new hardware which requiers new adaptation.

Yes, there is a sweet spot, yes you need to turn your head instead of just tilting your eyes.

But for take off, landing, catapult launch and carrier landing, formation flying and in flight refueling...it's so much better.

I really enjoy it during dogfight and having to fully turn my head to track the target. And actually, looking at videos, you end up taking the same positions as fighter pilots in real cockpit.

Off course, if you have head mobility issues (health), it isn't for you.😟

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The use of a swivel chair also helps with the movement. Not the best for the immersion, but might help those with mobility issues. 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JayRoc said:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

Might help you with that.

That's really useful, thankyou! I'll see if the sweet spot is better closer and if so, look at getting this printed. Any specific pointers re replacement foam and fittings that won't look too "bodged"?

8 minutes ago, Gruman said:

The use of a swivel chair also helps with the movement. Not the best for the immersion, but might help those with mobility issues. 🙂

Yep, that is the only "aid" I use in VR for looking around best I can.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Swivel chairs are bad for rudders.

I am probably a glutton for punishment as I like a solid 4 legged chair and the hard physical work required to check my 6 in VR.

I just need to keep my weight low so I can get my noggin into the 3/4 view.... phew those kidneys are hurting especially as Christmas gets closer and I am starting to dip into my chocolate, alcohol and nut Christmas stash.

Regardless of the blurry edges, just "being in the airframe" and "in the DCS world" becomes something very special in VR that I never got with track IR, it hinted at it, but never delivered.

It took me a couple of months to get used to the problems with VR in its current state. But once I had excepted them, I will never go back. 

For me it is year Zero for sims, I am right back where I started 30 years ago and the push for perfection has started all over again.... I am ready for the push.

I currently have a G1, G2 is on order.

So what you are upset with, will be a very welcome small refinement of what I already have.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I think overall the VR experience is hands down better than TrackIR and the immersion is fantastic. Having now spent some time using it (well about 6 hours total) I wouldn't go back to 2D. I guess I was just a little naive re the current limitations in regard to optics. However, I'm happy to make the trade off for the immersion it brings. Dogfighting in VR VS TIR is day and night, and I'm not sure I really agree with the  post a little ways back that was saying the blur makes it harder, it does but the increased ability to track within VR outweighs this (at least in my opinion). I still need to try the gasket removal method, my mate who also just got his G2 and plays DCS (came from CV1) says it didn't help in his case, but I'll still give it a go. Fo rme the only thing that I still miss is the ability to just move my eyes to the left or right and be able to clearly read text on MFD's without moving my head, but first world problems right?

• Like 1

Thinking about getting a G2 for myself in the future as well .. still using the Quest 1 Link

Image quality in terms of sharpness isn't too good with it and the sweetspot is also a bit small but the immersion is just great.

I've seen some comparisons between RiftS and G2 (inlens) and the differences are huge in my opinion - like day and night.

The blurry edges is just something we will need to deal with for some time I think before hardware and also prices get in a consumer friendly range.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

Have recently upgraded from Oculus Rift (non S model) to G2.

Have to say I was disappointed with the blurry edges especially looking down onto lower consoles.

With respect to peoples comments that this is apparently normal with VR Headsets.

I never noticed this with my oculus.

The G2 looks great in the sweet spot but the rest looks pants.

At this stage i prefer my oculus.

Maybe I will also get use to this weirdness.

I am surprised at the build up to the launch especially on YouTube.It would of been helpful if this was mentioned.

I'm very surprised not many people have complained about this blurry edge business.

I'll keep trying

• Like 1