F/A-18C radar the vertical and horizontal inverted after gun fight (NOT IN ACM)

Burnyice

After a gun fight, and return to like Aim-120, the radar of F/A-18C inverted the horizontal and vertical axis. So what you will see is the now the arrow for radar elevation is moving up and down, and it's range can be control by the the degree setting on DDI like 40°, 60°... And the vertical line moves now as how the radar elevation arrow usually did, If the setting is 1B1, then it is stable and if the setting is 2B1 and 2B2, it will jump between 2 position.

I have attached a video for that, this happens at any map, and always after a gun fight kill, and switch back to BVR.

• Like 4

I've also experienced this exact same issue.  Trying cycling the radar rotary switch, no change.  Tried landing, shutting down and repairing, starting back up, still no change.  Only fix was to leave the aircraft and get a different one.  Then it was back to normal.  An odd and "breaking" bug that renders the aircraft useless in A/A after the bug appears.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• Wags changed the title to [MISSING TRACK] F/A-18C radar the vertical and horizontal inverted after gun fight (NOT IN ACM)

not only undesignate, lock lost by gimbal limits does it too.

to avoid this bug, do not do the following: lock a target in rws/tws and then switch to gun. if you avoid doing this, the bug will not appear in my experience. unlock the target while in rws/tws with reset button on radar page before switching to guns.

this bug was reported multiple times over the past year, with tracks added - i myself provided tracks, steps to reproduce and video recordings. it always gets ignored for some reason. the old threads got merged recently too.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

this happened to me 3-4 months ago and I've been trying to reproduce it and just couldn't. I thought it was just a random fluke. Glad It's been reported but kinda a bummer it isn't getting acknowledged.

Edited by KittyVCAW-1

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

8 minutes ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

This works every time for me.

AACQ lock a target in AMRAAM mode. Go to GUNS mode. Press undesignate, and go back to AMRAAM mode. Radar axis are now swapped.

indeed.

somebody found this out on the forum about half a year ago, thanks to that guy and his info i was able to play comfortably without bricking my radar half the time ever since.

you simply mustnt switch to guns while already having locked a target from rws/tws.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

You're welcome 🙂

I will see if I can produce some tracks of this issue again tonight. Looking at the changelog yesterday I thought it was fixed, only to discover that it wasn't. I would be nice to have this one solved.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

How i haven't noticed this until i read this? :D

Anyway there is a way to fix that. In RWS press TDC on empty space (radar tries to take STT lock on that bearing) and then when radar is doing that narrow sweep trying to find something switch from AIM-120 to AIM-9 (just switching from one missile to another should work) and things should get back to normal when radar goes back to normal search. Your scan center might get offset to where your TDC was but switching weapons again or selecting to 140 degree scan seems to fix that.

• Like 3

HAHA! That's really funny. So the other bug fixes this one. HAHAHAHAHA! Will try tonight. Good find! 👍

EDIT: Added track

1. Enter BVR mode

2. Lock target AACQ

3. Go to GUNS

4. Undesignate

5. Enter BVR mode

- Radar axis are now swapped

6. Move radar cursor to an empty space on the radar

7. Depress TDC  and go to another missile mode (AIM-7/AIM-9) while the radar is doing narrow sweep

8. Radar is now back to normal 🙂

Radar axis swap and fix.trk

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Yeah. But thanks to @Kapsu the fix is easy. 

Basicly there are ways to go about it.

1. Don't transition from BVR to GUNS with a STT target.

2. Don't press 'undesignate' if you have transitioned to GUNS with STT target.

3. If you did mess up your radar..:

On 12/18/2020 at 3:10 PM, Kapsu said:

How i haven't noticed this until i read this? 😄

Anyway there is a way to fix that. In RWS press TDC on empty space (radar tries to take STT lock on that bearing) and then when radar is doing that narrow sweep trying to find something switch from AIM-120 to AIM-9 (just switching from one missile to another should work) and things should get back to normal when radar goes back to normal search. Your scan center might get offset to where your TDC was but switching weapons again or selecting to 140 degree scan seems to fix that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• BIGNEWY changed the title to F/A-18C radar the vertical and horizontal inverted after gun fight (NOT IN ACM)

I can confirm this bug, had it today and I have had it severeal times over the last six months both on stable release 2.5.6 and now latest OpenBeta. The fix was really hard to find, you press reset, shut down the radar etc, nothing helps, but now thanks @Kapsu we know what to do. Your radar is really gone when it enters this mode.

Edited by Bear21
added info

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

• Wags locked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team
2 minutes ago, Slowdive said:

I'm following up on this because it still appears to be a bug. Here is thread detailing it with track files and video.

This issue is still present as of 18 Feb 21.

Hi, 

the problem is reported, I have moved your post to the thread. 

we do not need any more information at the moment.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Was flying Liberation mission yesterday; got caught up in a merge with some non-friendlies, spat out some Sparrows, had entered dogfight mode to get some 9Ms (specific era fight), after returning out of dogfight mode; my radar page didn't show the typical full bar scan like I'm used to.

Aircraft stayed like this for a few hours later; I could pick up targets, but not 100% sure if it was because I swept them with the nose or not. But it was and would pick up some targets (unsure if it was picking up everything as normal or what; but I was focused on ground attack so didn't spend much time on this).

In essence, the azimuth scan bar was bumping left/right basically like you'd see the altitude move around as it did its passes.

Instead of showing full left/right sweeps; it just showed a vertical line (a MOVING vertical line, but it never moved 2x pixels outside centerline)

I've tried finding anything like this in all of the guides but couldn't find anything.

Replay is obviously too long to figure out what I did anyways. But I'm 100% assuming it hit... something.

But I know I wasn't in a DF mode. Obviously going back to A2A after A2G flights, it was still displaying like this.

TLDR: Radar wasn't showing full azimuth sweeps, just 1-2 pixels right, 4 pixels left, (2px from centerline), showing the standard "sweep", but not displaying angles.

All azimuth scans would act like this, after this shot I took it down to the lower (30?) degree azimuth and same thing, never showed the standard left/right angle sweep.

unknown1.png

unknown.png

Edited by XCNuse