F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

Kev2go

F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)  

676 members have voted

1. 1. F/A18E/F Super Hornets block 1 and BLock 2 E/F ( lot 26)

• Yes, its a feasible as a potential future module
    • No

13 hours ago, draconus said:

Would they be happy with losing half A2G weapons?

The manual needed for weapons system is not public,

Even if ED wanted to assume the systems are the same as the Lot 20 for the Lot 23 Super, they would still need to source reference the documents.

It's a literal technical tip toe situation.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

2 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I just want the ability to have a wso in the back and do multi role. 

IDF Mods project is making an F/A-18D that will be similar to their F-16I Barak mod. Looks very promising, supposedly going to be released 4Q23 or 1Q24. Dont quote me on the direct time frame though...

15.png

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

19 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I just want the ability to have a wso in the back and do multi role. 

Anything Pre Lot 26 has Coupled Master Modes, so you're WSO would be doing the same thing you are doing,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

8 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Anything Pre Lot 26 has Coupled Master Modes, so you're WSO would be doing the same thing you are doing,

Well yeah no doubt, I meant more so that you could have one guy focusing on SA, lasing, comms, etc. Even if the pilot can do it, it's nice to split some tasks up and work together. 

16 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

IDF Mods project is making an F/A-18D that will be similar to their F-16I Barak mod. Looks very promising, supposedly going to be released 4Q23 or 1Q24. Dont quote me on the direct time frame though...

15.png

You wouldn't happen to have a link for their development page in the forums would you? I'm guessing a lot of it is just in the development thread?

21 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

Well yeah no doubt, I meant more so that you could have one guy focusing on SA, lasing, comms, etc. Even if the pilot can do it, it's nice to split some tasks up and work together. 

You wouldn't happen to have a link for their development page in the forums would you? I'm guessing a lot of it is just in the development thread?

https://discord.com/invite/YDUecPFNAU

not sure if their channels are open, right now nobody is doing much of anything due to the Israel issue. Im not sure about a thread or anything else like that here, everyone just uses discord.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 10/16/2023 at 3:33 AM, draconus said:

Would they be happy with losing half A2G weapons?

Honestly don't think it would matter. As long as they get a Super Hornet. And who knows? Maybe they'll ne able to provide a slightly more advanced than the very earliest iteration. AESA is so far off the table it'll never see the light of day, but even at that, who says the earliest Super Hornets don't have the same guidance systems as the Lot 20?

31 minutes ago, Viper1031 said:

Honestly don't think it would matter. As long as they get a Super Hornet. And who knows? Maybe they'll ne able to provide a slightly more advanced than the very earliest iteration. AESA is so far off the table it'll never see the light of day, but even at that, who says the earliest Super Hornets don't have the same guidance systems as the Lot 20?

Lot 21, 22, 23 were LRIP But also retained most of the Legacy Hornet Lot 20/21 Systems as they were meant to be transitional jets, (~90% w/ Lot 20 C/D),
However there are undocumented changes to the QC-DFBW System, most note-ably how the channels are managed, as the new system auto trims for damage, failures and changing aircraft weight profile etc etc. There's also changes in the UFC and the Data and SOI Master Program, which is also not publicly documented.

Lot 24 were Full Production runs w/ modifications from the LRIP group.
* Anything after that is classified, and you wont see the manuals required available to the public.
* However the non-public changes to the SOI Master program and DFBW system would make it hard for ED to integrate them, not to mention changes in the weapons programs, as the SMS is also adjusted due to canted pylons clearance rules, and wing loading/weight limits.

Lot 25 had the updated displays, new Processors and moved from SCS-OFPs to the new HOL-OFPs.
Lot 26 is the start of Block II, though shipping delays with the APG-79, had them being delivered with the old APG-73 until units were procured and installed in the field or depo..

Lot 26 Has the redesigned forward fuselage frame, ACS Was Integrated w/ ability for WSO to have a de-coupled cockpit, 8x10 Display, Updated networking and modems, DVM, AMC&Ds, as well as new RWR and Countermeasure systems (ALQ214), 

As far as Lot 20 Charlie vs Lot 23/24 Echo,
You'd Lose all the Unguided rail / tube launched A2G munitions due to the Canted Pylons and the restrictions APKWS was not integrated anytime during Block I roll outs.
You'd have an Increase in drag, lower overall top speed, the 2 extra pylons and more fuel are the only increases. Your basically getting a less capable heavier draggier airframe that looks similar in the cockpit, but flies completely different.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 5:38 AM, WobblyFlops said:

Well, sure, I think a lot of people would want that, especially if it's a two seater. The extra bringback capability and all that gas would instantly make me shell out the 70 bucks for the preorder, even for an E. If it's an F, no questions asked, everyone would buy it.

I might buy an E, but not an F.  There's only one of me, and I'd rather have the 800 or so pounds of gas than the empty seat.  That extra seat is one of a few reasons I don't fly the -14 as anything but a lark, and will probably not fly the -4E.  As for bringback, I've landed charlies on carriers with most of fifteen thousand pounds of gas; about 38,000 on the checklist, with no trouble at all.

Realistic?  If this game were realistic the LSOs would go red and free the moment I radioed for approach; that's how much they love me.  They'd probably have something to say about the F-16s and F-15Es I've landed on the deck when it was lobster night in the forward wardroom, but in those cases they didn't even give me a debrief.

For the record, the only bird farms I've ever been on were tied to the pier.  -65 and -70, in both cases I ended up in an EOS after the MMR tour (they called away a security alert on -70, and that's where you go when you don't want to deal with security alerts).  Saw both decks, but they're just big flat fields of non-skid in port, so I know nothing of carrier flight ops other than watching from a distance.

Also, for the record, the carriers in this game have very sparsely modeled main machinery spaces.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, Mellonomathegreat said:

I'm new to this forum, so this is a new topic to me; is DCS ever going to get the E/F variant of the F18? I see people trying to give answers, but I'm not sure they are aware that there is a difference between the aircraft. Just curious, I worked on the Super when I was a plane captain in the Navy, so I think it would bee a cool addition for some of us. Picture included as reference.

Hornet vs Super hornet.jpg

For what ? You can’t use the capabilities of it in dcs environment..

14 hours ago, EA-18G_BlockII said:

and finally, the Block 3 😄

Block III's haven't even reached IOC, 
Neither through new airframes or the Depo Upgrade program.

You have about the same % Chance of seeing a Block III as you do a F-35C in DCS..

8 hours ago, Mikep821 said:

For what ? You can’t use the capabilities of it in dcs environment..

The Visual Difference from the front, don't really do it justice,

The Super Hornet is larger, has more sophisticated control surfaces and control systems, 

Despite ~90% Cockpit commonality from Lot 20->23, the DFCS is completely different due to the removal of dedicated speed brake, and the addition of AoA Dependent control surfaces.

I probably rigged the L/E flaps on one of those Blk 3's. Good chance of it too actually...

My wallpaper and skins

16 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Block III's haven't even reached IOC, 
Neither through new airframes or the Depo Upgrade program.

You have about the same % Chance of seeing a Block III as you do a F-35C in DCS..

The Visual Difference from the front, don't really do it justice,

The Super Hornet is larger, has more sophisticated control surfaces and control systems, 

Despite ~90% Cockpit commonality from Lot 20->23, the DFCS is completely different due to the removal of dedicated speed brake, and the addition of AoA Dependent control surfaces.

I know that, but you cant use it more like for 20% of Its capability

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 8:21 PM, SkateZilla said:

Trust me, if anyone wanted to see the super hornet it'd be Wags..
he was Part of the Jane's F/A-18 team waaaaaaaay back in the day.

Wow...I must be getting old, but not too old to enjoy flight sims.

I got my first start in flight sims with Jane's Fighters Anthology, then Jane's USAF and then Jane's F-15 and then Jane's F-18. I still have the CD's.

I would love to see this game have full fidelty variants of the "Bug." It's just a damn good 'Jack of all trades' bird. 👍

On 10/16/2023 at 4:03 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Not quite true, the Superbug has beefier engines and would fly quite differently from the old bug. So, at least in a dogfight, you'll notice the difference, and having more gas and more speed is handy in BVR, too. In fact, you'd get considerably more range, plus there's the buddy store for AAR, which would be of interest to some people.

I would love to have the early Superbug. Avionics slightly more spiffy than our C model, but better engines, more gas and the buddy store. Even if it doesn't get some older AG weapons, it can still carry plenty, and it can fight better when fully loaded for AA. I say it's a good trade.

There's Counterpoints to all of those"
Larger Engines -> Larger Airframe / Larger Drag Index
Larger Fuel Capacity -> Larger Fuel Consumption due to larger airframe, heavier airframe, larger engines, larger drag index.

IIRC, A/A42R-1 wasn't added to the OFP and Certified stores until Block II, and didn't actually get used in deployment until S-3B's began to sundown.

Outside of Fleet Demonstrations at airshows, 330 GAL isn't enough, and any hornet carrying A/A42R-1 in the Tanker roles now, also carries 4 FPU/11 480 GAL Tanks on both inner and center wing pylons, and NOTHING else, no AIM9s, no Gun Rounds, as the weight and drag index of that configuration is already extremely high.

Seeing how the community reacts to things,

Developing and releasing a Block I Super Hornet with the same capabilities Limit as the Lot 20 w/ Less available weapons carriage, 
The community will gripe and complain about having to pay $xx.xx for a less capable version of the same jet they already have, despite Flight model and visual model differences.

I've been with the community since the beginning of DCS, and that assumption on the reaction is accurate based on 20 years of reactions.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 4

Due to well-known multiple reasons, it's unlikely to see F/A-18F Rhino in the near future, but I still wish a better luck here only for some day it would come ture.

An early version of F/A-18F with the AN/APG-73 radar is a relative realistic option, and that should be nice for me.

As an Ironclad fan of US Navy and Tomcat, the F/A-18F is one of my must-to-fly aircraft after all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Developing and releasing a Block I Super Hornet with the same capabilities Limit as the Lot 20 w/ Less available weapons carriage, 
The community will gripe and complain about having to pay $xx.xx for a less capable version of the same jet they already have, despite Flight model and visual model differences.

I've been with the community since the beginning of DCS, and that assumption on the reaction is accurate based on 20 years of reactions.

Though, to be fair to the community, that assessment applies all over the place, no matter what aircraft is added. I've heard people gripe about a 3rd Party adding the C-130, and I've seen the gripes about the Cristian Eagle because it's not a combat aircraft. Personally, whether it's ED or a third party, if the Super Hornet were to be added, there's no point in worrying about the gripes... just do the Dev version of "Damn the Torpedoes, full speed ahead"

4 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Though, to be fair to the community, that assessment applies all over the place, no matter what aircraft is added. I've heard people gripe about a 3rd Party adding the C-130, and I've seen the gripes about the Cristian Eagle because it's not a combat aircraft. Personally, whether it's ED or a third party, if the Super Hornet were to be added, there's no point in worrying about the gripes... just do the Dev version of "Damn the Torpedoes, full speed ahead"

Tl;dr: "people will still buy it anw"

• Like 2

Avionics systems are different between them as well. The WRA's (Weapons Replaceable Assemblies) will still have the same nomenclature.. i.e. FIRAMS, FCES, but have different - "Dash" numbers, or completely new part numbers and NIIN's

Example the Signal Data Converter that gives you all your input for the IFEI is like 1699136G10.. the updated version in the Super Hornet is the -12 SDC.. Naval Aviation has what's called the AIM.. Aircraft Interchangeability Matrix.. for the C/D it tells you what aircraft either the -11 or -12 SDC goes into. and what SRA's are interchangeable between compatible WRA's i.e. the -9, -10, -11 SDC's. (they all go in the C/C.  None are compatible with the -12 for the Super Hornet. C/D's are still flown by some Marine squadrons until they receive F-35's. C/D avionics systems are quickly become totally obsolete for spare parts, IC's, and other discrete components are damn near impossible to obtain except through cannibalization. I worked for 24 years for Boeing at NAS Lemoore's Avionics Repair Facility. We never touched a piece of E/F equipment. We did erroneously received some SRA's from DLA.. but we could not test them, had no documentation on them. And they were not covered under the yearly contract we had to negotiate every year. The C/D will cover any conflict we have maps for now, so getting an E/F wouldn't make any difference. Now the Advanced Super Hornet is a different story.... That's what everyone should be Faunchin' and Bellerin' about. There, is a big update in capabilities.

:drinks_cheers:

Sempre Fortis

5 hours ago, icemaker said:

Man! i'd love to have a F/A-18G

there is no Fighter / Attack - 18G

• Like 1