F-15D crash at Red Flag

GGTharos

have they found out the reason that caused it?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but this would be interesting. I would imagine that Red Flag is a dangerous thing to be a part of. I don't know if any restrictions are placed on pilots on how they can handle their aircraft, but if there are none, I'd imagine they're flying "for real" at and beyond the envelope.

I'm pretty sure you still have to respect the bubble. There's probably no hard deck. It might be another longeron failure, though I sort of doubt that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

300708-F-3352w-002.jpg

300708-F-3352w-010.jpg

Pilot killed in F-15D crash identified

Lt. Col. Thomas Bouley, pictured here, died in a aircraft crash during Red Flag 08-03 on July 30, 2008. Colonel Bouley was the 65th Aggressor Squadron commander. (Air Force photo)

http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123109008

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 1 year later...

Back seat always come first, if not you run the risk of front seat hitting the back one. Not sure how it work on F-15 but on the F-16 there is also a selector lever. Aft (normal) Front ( never seen it set to that ) and Solo

:Correction:

F-16 ejection selector on the rear cockpit has three settings:

- Normal-- Front seat can jettison both cockpits, aft seat can jettison single, front seat activation will eject aft seat first then front

- Aft-- Aft seat can jettison both, when aft seat or front seat activate sequence, aft seat goes first

- Solo-- Self explanatory, front seat ejects without delay

I wonder if it work like this in the F-15

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, hard to believe that an "undetectable" imperfection in the nose cone was enough to make the difference between an easy recovery and loss of pilot and aircraft. Anyone else surprised by this?

Bouley would have normally recovered control of the jet after just a few spins, but the other problems caused the F-15 to spin more severely — roughly 20 times in 87 seconds — before Bouley recovered and ejected, Otto said.

The imperfection in the so-called radome was subtle enough to remain undetectable until Bouley exceeded maneuvering limitations, Otto said.

Wow, hard to believe that an "undetectable" imperfection in the nose cone was enough to make the difference between an easy recovery and loss of pilot and aircraft. Anyone else surprised by this?

The imperfection may have set up a vortex that interacted in an unforeseen, negative manner with some other things going on that compounded to result in rendering the aircraft unrecoverable. If the vorticies coming off the nose are even slightly different from one side to the other in strength and composition, they can "suck" the nose one way or the other. This can lead to a spin-inducing yaw, which would persist throughout and complicate the recovery. The linked article also mentioned an imbalance in the external fuel tanks, which would have complicated things even more.

My condolences to the family.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Well, there's more to it that just the nose imperfection. Fuel imbalance, aerodynamic designed of the aircraft and the nose cone imperfection.

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/F-15D_Nellis_30Jul08.pdf

The nose cone imperfection is very vague and it could mean a thousand different things not necessarily related to aerodynamic. This could imply a failure with a sensor probe or metal fatigue that ultimately cause structural failure, etc. My point is don't take the "nose imperfection" very literally.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

The fuel imbalance is what makes me think 'Pilot Error'.

It is specifically stated in the -1 that agressive maneuvers with imbalance of more than 600lb are prohibited. Fuel imbalance causes the aircraft to become more prone to departure. Having two external fuel tanks also impacts stability in a big way IIRC - in other words, it just seems like he was asking for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'd be interested in reading the full report, but fuel imbalance has been a significant contributor to Eagle losses over the years.

It is standard practise to check and call that your fuel is balanced between BFM set-ups in the Eagle jet, and one wonders whether this was accomplished on this particular sortie.

I have seen the HUD video of an F-15E in a spin following a flight control problem that happened as soon as the pilot executed an 8g break turn - it's massively disorientating to watch even while sitting on the ground at 0 knots and 1g.

I'd be interested in reading the full report, but fuel imbalance has been a significant contributor to Eagle losses over the years.

It is standard practise to check and call that your fuel is balanced between BFM set-ups in the Eagle jet, and one wonders whether this was accomplished on this particular sortie.

I have seen the HUD video of an F-15E in a spin following a flight control problem that happened as soon as the pilot executed an 8g break turn - it's massively disorientating to watch even while sitting on the ground at 0 knots and 1g.

can you post the link to the video?

...Having two external fuel tanks also impacts stability in a big way IIRC...
Carrying anything larger than say, an AMRAAM will impact stability, no matter how much it weighs. The problem is the extra surface area, which would cause the tails and rudders (the primary spin recovery surfaces) to be less effective.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly