F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 20 December 2023

Minsky

26 minutes ago, imacken said:

I guess I'll ignore the other one.

I'm not claiming my list is 100% correct. It's possible that under certain circumstances, or with a particular SAM setup that I didn't think of, you might spot one of these symbols.

If it can be reproduced, then of course I won't mind making corrections.

Dima | My DCS uploads

Sure, if I see one I'll let you know!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

13 hours ago, imacken said:

I'm interested in why there are so many differences between the RWR charts and others available.  Same threats but different symbols, some missing from both lists etc. Examples attached.

T2.jpg

t1.jpg

The second one is for different aircraft, possibly the Harrier and F-14. It is an older kneeboard, I had a copy and edited a few updates onto for the Harrier changes. 

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 09 April 2023
  • Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 16 August 2023
3 hours ago, markom said:

Minor nit for the "Pt. 2" page: OXY Flow OFF should also include OBOGS off (Pt. 1 has both, Pt. 2 should too)

It's based on the latest editions of the NFMs available to me (2008), and none of them have this item.

However, I just checked earlier versions of the same manuals (2000-2002), and surprisingly enough, they all have it. And so do the Super Hornet's and Growler's manuals.

I cannot explain such discrepancy, but having this item simply makes sense, so let us have it.

Download the updated kneeboards here. Disregard it saying "16 August", this is the new version.

Screenshot - 230821 00_49_41.jpg

Note that I moved the OBOGS stuff from CLEARING RUNWAY to BEFORE SHUTDOWN section. Two reasons for that:
- That's where it resides in the old NFMs.
- Before switching the OBOGS off, the mask has to be unstrapped. Which on the deck normally happens after the aircraft is parked.

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

Awesome stuff, thank you so much. Here's another nit... Any chance I can persuade you to drop the page numbers from the PDF? Or at least the checklist pages? I have them printed and laminated, and page numbers interfere with my CDO (similar to OCD, just alphabetical, as it ought to be).

Edited by markom

BEFORE ENGINE SHUTDOWN

|

3 SARI ......

|

I don't have a sari, Can I substitute a kimono? 😶

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

10 hours ago, Minsky said:

It's based on the latest editions of the NFMs available to me (2008), and none of them have this item.

However, I just checked earlier versions of the same manuals (2000-2002), and surprisingly enough, they all have it. And so do the Super Hornet's and Growler's manuals.

I cannot explain such discrepancy, but having this item simply makes sense, so let us have it.

Download the updated kneeboards here. Disregard it saying "16 August", this is the new version.

Screenshot - 230821 00_49_41.jpg

Note that I moved the OBOGS stuff from CLEARING RUNWAY to BEFORE SHUTDOWN section. Two reasons for that:
- That's where it resides in the old NFMs.
- Before switching the OBOGS off, the mask has to be unstrapped. Which on the deck normally happens after the aircraft is parked.

Great work, as always!

Out of interest, why don't you combine the 3 downloads into one?

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 20 December 2023
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok pls don't shoot me (i am new to kneeboard) do I download the PDFs and place them in the kneeboard folder?

Or do I download the userfiles and download them?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

x:\Users\[your username]\Saved Games\(your DCS folder in saved games)\kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet#

and you want to place the png files in it not the pdf

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

9 hours ago, Minsky said:

ED removed HARM codes from all EWR radars more than a year ago.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but why ED did that?

Thanks.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

Sorry for the ignorant question, but why ED did that?

Most EWRs operate in frequency ranges outside of the HARM's detection capabilities.

To my knowledge, some of them (IIRC AN/FPS-117) should still be detectable, but it seems that ED decided not to bother with exceptions.

• Thanks 3

Dima | My DCS uploads

5 hours ago, Minsky said:

Most EWRs operate in frequency ranges outside of the HARM's detection capabilities.

To my knowledge, some of them (IIRC AN/FPS-117) should still be detectable, but it seems that ED decided not to bother with exceptions.

So that means HARM's cannot target EWR at all?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:08 AM, Minsky said:

ED removed HARM codes from all EWR radars more than a year ago.

Thanks for letting me know.  That was about when I was firing HARMs blind from MiG-29s...

DCS 2023-03-21 22-13-06.jpg

I now want to learn how to use all the F/A-18 modes...

Edited by AvgeekJoe
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...