Weird noise when "solo flight" option is enabled

trashcan

Whenever I place a Huey in the mission editor with the "solo flight" option enabled (found under the "..." tab of the aircraft in the mission editor, where you could also unmount the IR suppressor), there is a constant weird sound audible. To me, it sounds like a wiper motor or something like that, even though everything is cold&dark. The sound disappears when disabling the "solo flight" option.

Steps to reproduce: open the attached mission file and spawn. Sound is immediately there.

hueysyria_solo.miz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

There is an annoying generic landing gear sound that can be heard constantly playing in the background for the UH-1H, most noticeable before start up and after shut down at certain locations only, most notably on the Marianas map for me.

This has been tested and isolated in a clean and fully repaired install and with a freshly created saved games folder with no mods present!

I've isolated the problem by setting the values to zero in the SDEF files for the generic landing gear sounds, subsequently creating a temporary fix for the problem at the same time. I hope this can be fixed in a future patch? 🙏

• Both track and mission files are attached to demonstrate the bug.

• I've also included the modified SDEF files for anyone who wants to try them. (To use, just unzip and place 'Sounds' in your Saved Games folder)

• Note, the modified SDEF files will also affect aircraft that correctly use these sounds!

UH-1H Gear Sound Demo.miz UH-1H Gear Sound Demo.trk Sounds.zip

Edited by swartbyron

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

Interesting, I don't have that sound when I try it in a mission I've created. But I hear it in your track.

I know, its strange. I notice it happens most often when I land out and shut down or ground start cold at a non airfield location and more often than not on the Marianas map for some reason.

I originally thought it was a problem with the engine sound not ending properly but appears to be caused by the landing gear sounds even though they are not used by the Huey.

Those that regularly hot start and end the mission with out fully shutting down will probably never have noticed it.

It seems a genuine bug, the track and mission prove that and the muted sdef's point to where the sound is originating from as when you pop them in and it goes away.

Edited by swartbyron

• swartbyron changed the title to Background Sound Bug
  • 2 months later...

Still present.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."