Why cancel the NS430 of F16

HappyVoo

Why cancel the NS430 of F-16 ? this is obviously illogical !
F-16C bl.50 has no MAP and canceled NS430, can I only look at the coordinates ?
I know that I can manually modify the NS430 file, but I cannot pass the online verification !

😞

Edited by HappyVoo
  • Like 2

• ED Team

Hi,

the viper already has navigation avionics, but I will mention it to the team

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2021/4/9 PM7点26分,BIGNEWY说:

你好

毒蛇已经有导航航空电子设备,但我会提到它的团队

谢谢

Thanks for your feedback. Despite the electronic navigation function, I think that without a map, this can give players the right to choose NS430 to view the map. 

Edited by HappyVoo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Wasn't there a "a very authentic simulation" and "no desire to create a Frankenstein's Monster" philosophy? When has this been dropped? 🥴

Exactly. Did the F-16CM-50 M5-M5.1 at Shaw AFB's 55th FS carry NS430s in their aircraft in 2007? Did they even have it in inventory?

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

On 4/9/2021 at 11:02 AM, HappyVoo said:

...I know that I can manually modify the NS430 file, but I cannot pass the online verification !

😞

Which file?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, WHOGX5 said:

Exactly. Did the F-16CM-50 M5-M5.1 at Shaw AFB's 55th FS carry NS430s in their aircraft in 2007? Did they even have it in inventory?

They dont have to. You can slap one of these on everything without connecting it to anything.It dosent require any integration. You just need to find a place to put it. Look at russians lol. Also we dont have m5 tape

3 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

They dont have to. You can slap one of these on everything without connecting it to anything.It dosent require any integration. You just need to find a place to put it. Look at russians lol. Also we dont have m5 tape

My statement about the NS430 was meant as a bit of satire in line with how people on this forum usually responds to requests like this. I couldn't care less if someone wants to put a crappy civilian GPS into an aircraft that already has an integrated military GPS/INS system. Like, why would you even want that? 😂

And there are some features in the roadmap which are a part of tape M5.1, like the JSOWs for example. I think the AN/ARC-210 was confirmed as well.

Edited by WHOGX5
  • Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

34 minutes ago, WHOGX5 said:

My statement about the NS430 was meant as a bit of satire in line with how people on this forum usually responds to requests like this. I couldn't care less if someone wants to put a crappy civilian GPS into an aircraft that already has an integrated military GPS/INS system. Like, why would you even want that? 😂

And there are some features in the roadmap which are a part of tape M5.1, like the JSOWs for example. I think the AN/ARC-210 was confirmed as well.

1:Jsow was a thing from m3. 

2: it dosent matter if it has a gps if it dosent have the database. Some people want to have a map and thats that.

7 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

Which file?

• DCS World\Mods\aircraft\NS430\entry.lua

The 2D NS430 is enabled by default unless explicitly "disabled" i.e.

removing or commenting out with "--" the line

["F-16C_50"] 		= disabled,

... in entry.lua will allow "LShift+LAlt+B" to call up the 2D NS430 window in the F-16C.

QNOANFN.jpg

Tested DCS 2.5.6.61527

Example edit with line commented out:

Xm2cw5h.png

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks! Interesting info. The lines 56...89 are actually redundant. I couldn't believe this, so I commented the line for the Bf-109K out. I could still display the GNS430.

I guess the redundant lines are there only to document the spelling of the aircraft names in case you want to disable one. Still, seems strange programming practice to me. I would have used a 2-column table with aircraft names and a Boolean.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team

Hi all,

NS430 disabled is intended as the viper already has navigation aids. 

thanks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all,

NS430 disabled is intended as the viper already has navigation aids. 

thanks

I  thought they all just used ForeFlight on their iPads for nav IRL anyway?  Can we have a virtual iPad instead?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Deleted

Edited by WHOGX5

DCS Wishlist:

On 4/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, Lace said:

I  thought they all just used ForeFlight on their iPads for nav IRL anyway?  Can we have a virtual iPad instead?

Pretty sure they were either still using paper or transitioning to tablets in the 2007 time. You should really have no problems flying without a tablet or NS430

6 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Pretty sure they were either still using paper or transitioning to tablets in the 2007 time. You should really have no problems flying without a tablet or NS430

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I have no issues using the hardwired kit in game. I was just making an observation that despite the multi-million dollar navigation suite in modern military aircraft, navigation and planning is done via iPad, just like us lowly GA pilots. 

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

9 minutes ago, Lace said:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I have no issues using the hardwired kit in game. I was just making an observation that despite the multi-million dollar navigation suite in modern military aircraft, navigation and planning is done via iPad, just like us lowly GA pilots. 

From what I know in 2007 (our F-16 module is ca.2007) most people used paper, at least in the air force. < This is a pretty weak argument, but IRL you would definetly prefer to have paper over a tablet because of GPS jamming. For peace time this of course isn't a problem, but most of the time in dcs we're not doing much of peace. So I think it would be somewhat unrealistic to have tablets be the main navigation aid in dcs.

8 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

From what I know in 2007 (our F-16 module is ca.2007) most people used paper, at least in the air force. < This is a pretty weak argument, but IRL you would definetly prefer to have paper over a tablet because of GPS jamming. For peace time this of course isn't a problem, but most of the time in dcs we're not doing much of peace. So I think it would be somewhat unrealistic to have tablets be the main navigation aid in dcs.

Mate, it was a joke.  I don't see any need for a virtual iPad in DCS.

As an aside though, much of my flying IRL is very close to an EW range which regularly NOTAMs GPS jamming - so it definitely happens in peacetime too!  Paper backups a must (and still a legal requirement in the UK).

9 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Map doesn't care about GPS jamming because it doesn't have GPS.

A digital map doesn't care about GPS jamming because it doesn't care about GPS.

The tablet in the military aircraft is not for the digital navigation system, it is for digital map. 

It is totally realistic to have a tablet as kneeboard that will digitally show you the map, the flightplan, the markings and all. You just don't use its networking capabilities to tell you where you are, as you are going to use the aircraft navigation system for that. And if the GPS is jammed, it means that your aircraft is forced to fly in INS mode, and that means you anyways need to have a map and flight plan visible so you know at what direction and how long etc you are need to fly etc. 

For a civilian flight the GPS is nice to have as your aircraft likely doesn't have so sophisticated instruments anyways, but regardless of that you still need to know how to use the map be it a digital or paper, and you need to have your flight plan drawn on it. 

A tablet for navigation is excellent tool, until you run out of battery or it gets broken. That is why you need to have a paper map somewhere for emergency reasons so you can pull it out and start figuring things out. 

These days they are plugging batteries and all kind gizmos to "future soldier" and they are mostly trash, as if the batteries die (for what ever reason) their equipment goes crazy. Like Russians are testing a battery powered body heaters for their soldiers. Where soldier has a controller cable coming from their sleeve to adjust the heater power. Like, from where are the soldiers going to recharge the system when in war and they are going to spend next 3-5 months in the forest?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

44 minutes ago, Lace said:

...navigation and planning is done via iPad, just like us lowly GA pilots. 

And most commercial/airline pilots too. No more paper charts or approaches plates in cockpits of any sorts these days, just a few iPads.

9 hours ago, norman99 said:

And most commercial/airline pilots too. No more paper charts or approaches plates in cockpits of any sorts these days, just a few iPads.

Same thing has happened on the in sailing, iPads and laptops has got to be accepted as official navigation instruments. I believe you still are required to have a paper map in a boat, but not required to use it. about 10-15 years ago it was that you needed to have maps and use them, but you were allowed to use GPS devices as backup (yeah, people used them as primary). 

I am old school, even when I travel to other countries I love to have a map available for me. I want at least to have a generic paper map (a A4 size etc) to give me easy way to navigate from opposite side of city to otherside etc. If I just can I use phone instead as all I want on the foreign place is a map and watch.

But being able to draw on map, make the markings etc. It is extremely handy.

But let's face it, flying is about navigation and not so much about searching fancy places where to go for a beer. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.