far too twitchy

just flew again recently after the big update, which i must say is ab brill for the sounds, especially the Mustang, but i digress, the spit is just too nose twitchy, every little movement is overdone, including the loss in speed/increase from level flight throttle changes, now before someone says oh thats what its like, i have flown a spit, and its not THAT twitchy

just flew again recently after the big update, which i must say is ab brill for the sounds, especially the Mustang, but i digress, the spit is just too nose twitchy, every little movement is overdone, including the loss in speed/increase from level flight throttle changes, now before someone says oh thats what its like, i have flown a spit, and its not THAT twitchy
Have you watched Phil's video on YT?

BTW, I'm very envious!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Bear in mind that the real aeroplane has very light elevator stick forces and such a low percentage stick travel to critical AoA that in some regards it should be a little twitchy in comparison to it's contemporaries; however, modern gaming hardware exacerbates this:

• Like 2

yes i agree that modern gear can be a bit of the reason, and yes i could maybe add curves to smooth it out, and yes all other planes are fine but each is different, also realise about the real plane...as i said, but this just seems overly twitchy and too fast to react in normal circumstances, maybe i need to fly her more again, but initial opinion is that its too on edge.

ha, thanks max, was a blast

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thrustvector said:

What kind of joystick are you using? Are you using any curves\saturation on your joysick? Do you fly VR or 2d? 

Please take a look at this video: 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

A short stick extension makes all the difference.

I remember Yo-Yo saying that the stick deflection used in the real thing is absolutely tiny and there wasn’t going to be any concession for differences in PC hardware. He was literally programming the stick movement from the original, if you didn’t like it then use curves or get a stick extension. Yo-Yo uses a stick exrension iirc.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 2

What kind of joystick are you using? Are you using any curves\saturation on your joysick? Do you fly VR or 2d? 
Please take a look at this video: 

Thanks Lurker. That's the video I was thinking about.
Cheers!

Btw. Anybody that have tested that DIY kit from Authentikit? Seems like a perfect fit.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

lurker, for one reason i dont use a warthog stick, mine has near on the same movement as the spit stick mentioned in the vid, other reason was even after modifying it was too hard a movement, i went in the end for a CH stick, better and smoother movement esp for copters.

i have re aligned my curves only for the spit, not a lot of use for curves in my opinion for other stuff, but each to his own :).

it is a lot better and may well have been the cause, so thanks for the reminder,

also thanks guys for the vid,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, thrustvector said:

lurker, for one reason i dont use a warthog stick, mine has near on the same movement as the spit stick mentioned in the vid, other reason was even after modifying it was too hard a movement, i went in the end for a CH stick, better and smoother movement esp for copters.

i have re aligned my curves only for the spit, not a lot of use for curves in my opinion for other stuff, but each to his own :).

it is a lot better and may well have been the cause, so thanks for the reminder,

also thanks guys for the vid,

Reading this thread with interest, also tried @philstyle curves, but i just cant dial in the sweetspot between docile and full movement for combat.    i really love the spit and the ww2 scene but because is so difficult to handle (especially without rudder pedals) i just dont fly it….  @thrustvector would you care to share your final curves and are you using an extension piece for a central stick or just a side stick?    

im just runnin a cheap thrustmaster hotas so it could be a resolution thing on el cheapo stick

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

I have the Thrustmaster T.16000 hotas and pedals and have no issues handling the Spitfire - at least nothing that is not pebcak.

A lot of fuss has been made over the curves but really adding some generic curves gets one 95% of the way and quite usable. The remaining 5% is user preference and tuning.

Getting the brakes on an analog input is huge for this plane and the Russian planes that use similar brakes. I use the flappy paddle on the throttle.

With the above as a base... practice, practice, practice. If you haven't invested hours (literally, many focused hours) into ground ops, touch and goes, general take off and landing ops then this plane is going to kick your ass.

If you read some of the threads in this forum there tends to be a trend where people complain about this plane and then they have a "eureka!" moment where it all comes together after enough seat time.

$0.02

2 hours ago, Reflected said:

Set the pitch axis' saturation to 90% - you'll never need the extremities. Then set a curve of your preference - the lowest you can get away with. This depends on your HOTAS. Also, learn to be VERY gentle on the controls.

thanks  i think its my hotas to be honest   I’ll have a play with the saturation on the pitch.  I think my biggest issue is rudder input.   Using the throttle paddles isnt great and need to have the saturation 50% or lower so im not yawing all over the place.even then it’s crazy.   I fly an RC spit and the rudder input on that is very little but my rates (bit like saturation) are really low for scale.

2 hours ago, reece146 said:

I have the Thrustmaster T.16000 hotas and pedals and have no issues handling the Spitfire - at least nothing that is not pebcak.

A lot of fuss has been made over the curves but really adding some generic curves gets one 95% of the way and quite usable. The remaining 5% is user preference and tuning.

Getting the brakes on an analog input is huge for this plane and the Russian planes that use similar brakes. I use the flappy paddle on the throttle.

With the above as a base... practice, practice, practice. If you haven't invested hours (literally, many focused hours) into ground ops, touch and goes, general take off and landing ops then this plane is going to kick your ass.

If you read some of the threads in this forum there tends to be a trend where people complain about this plane and then they have a "eureka!" moment where it all comes together after enough seat time.

$0.02

Your hotas is still bettr than mine.  Lol i have a heavy modified  t.flight one 😂🤣😂.  I’ll have another go before i start 3d printing an athentikit flight yoke  Website link

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

Ok. I hear what u said about saturation on the rudder. But i have it at 45 and i can taxi ok…..    little bit of brake and she moves about slowwwwww on the ground but at least im not going around in circles lol.

got her flying great.  Thanks everyone for your help. …… just wish i could take off as majestically as the spit is supposed to be ………..   spit flew past me on storms of war. Wing waging and i was going up and down like a demented kangaroo……..  funny/embarrassing lol

edit: just watched Skill from GR on youtube taxi a Spit with an Authentikit spade…….  I concede @Reflected,  I need more rudder authority.

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose one aspect of “twitchy” is that DCS doesn’t seem to model forces on the controls. Yes they only require small movements but it would take a certain amount of force to do that, probably a lot. So you can push your springy joystick around in a way which would be impossible IRL. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I suppose one aspect of “twitchy” is that DCS doesn’t seem to model forces on the controls. Yes they only require small movements but it would take a certain amount of force to do that, probably a lot. So you can push your springy joystick around in a way which would be impossible IRL. 

This is why a force feedback joystick is recommended.

• Like 1

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

56 minutes ago, FlyBy2507 said:

This is why a force feedback joystick is recommended.

It would be great if anyone still made them…

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, FlyBy2507 said:

You can find it on eBay or other second-hand sites

Yeah but that’s all old stuff. It would be great if there was quality FFB gear for flight like there is for racing. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyBy2507 said:

I totally agree with you.

There is a company who build a FFB base but that's cost one eye...

See here CLS-E FORCE FEEDBACK JOYSTICK

Agree completely. The reason I moved away from FFB was wanting a modern stick and there really are no modern high end consumer level FFB sticks. A couple of hundred GBP for a good peripheral I can justify, but a grand for a stick, not really.