Worth it on sale??? or wait another 6 months?

Gwalker99

You know you can try it for 2 weeks for free right? 

• Like 4

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Hi. To me, worth it 100% It is incomplete, with some errors and bugs, but can be used almost an any situation with little to no (real) disapointment, unless you are really finniky... And it will be switched to a higher gear in little time, as Hornet will leave E.A. soon, so the Viper will get good love. To me go for it. Maybe in six month the discount will be even better, this I don t know. 

Saludos. Saca111

• Like 1

I have a bunch of models...everything else just feels wrong these days.. It's very intuitive, fast, can carry a great payload for both AA and AG..Doing sead/dead and lowlevel, awesome.

Buy it....but don't fly it like a hornet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, b0bl00i said:

I have a bunch of models...everything else just feels wrong these days.. It's very intuitive, fast, can carry a great payload for both AA and AG..Doing sead/dead and lowlevel, awesome.

Buy it....but don't fly it like a hornet.

Could you elaborate this point? (I don’t like the hornet)

Darkstar: Merged

It thrives in high speed, and if you load it down with too much munitons..it flies like crap.

Bring what you need and no more. Engaging a sam site..2 harms and fuel. If it's short, 2 harms and 2 cbu97s.

No crazy load out like 10 cbus...

Don't land it like a Hornet either..you'll end up in a flaming wreck..Smooth and easy touchdowns..Aerobrake and light controls.

6 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

Could you elaborate this point? (I don’t like the hornet)

I own and love the Hornet. But I only have a few hours in the Viper for the free trials. The difference I see is that the Hornet is a Cadillac SUV with all the gadgets, and the Viper is a Ferrari and everything is secondary to speed.

But maybe I'm full of it, who knows. In any case, I'm probably buying the Viper when it comes on sale on Steam. It's good fun and very cool.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I own and love the Hornet. But I only have a few hours in the Viper for the free trials. The difference I see is that the Hornet is a Cadillac SUV with all the gadgets, and the Viper is a Ferrari and everything is secondary to speed.

But maybe I'm full of it, who knows. In any case, I'm probably buying the Viper when it comes on sale on Steam. It's good fun and very cool.

When the Viper is further along in its development, it will be rather similar to the Hornet in terms of gadgets. 

Wing flex!

I never thought such a thing could be so exciting, but it is.

17 hours ago, Xavven said:

Go to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ and click the FREE TO PLAY button in the upper right. The 14 day trial thing doesn't apply to Steam, only the DCS store.

Many thanks, I will try that when I get home.

i5-12400F, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, MSI RTX4060 8GB, 1TB Corsair Pro NVME.

Finally, I can run DCS!!!

On 6/21/2021 at 6:44 PM, Beirut said:

Well currently the viper overspeeds, and stores drag is off as well.

Gadget wise its radar might as well be an AESA... 

I could go on but lots of stuff isn't working right.

But its a WIPer... And lots of folks enjoy the overperformance.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 6/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, statrekmike said:

When the Viper is further along in its development, it will be rather similar to the Hornet in terms of gadgets. 

Minus a bunch of radar settings/Functionality, an extra display, onboard Jammer, Moving Map, and a bunch of A2G weaponry. In terms of Gadgets about the only thing the viper will eventually do "better" is SEAD. In every other aspect the hornet has more functionality/Gucci.

• Thanks 1

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

To me I have both the Hornet and the Viper

They are my favorite planes but they fly different

To me the viper is a little more stable and the avionics are easy for me to understand

Dont get me wrong the Hornet is more polished but I have to really delve at it to understand the avionics

Even with all the quirks the viper is a little rocket ship

Lots of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Harlikwin:

Tbh the only areas in which it is overperforming is the fact that there are no G and Vne damage models and the radar range is slightly too high. 

It will perform a lot better once basic functionality and the Fm fixes are finally done. 

The Viper is a lot of fun besides the Tomcat and Hornet it makes me go back to DCS World to play

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

58 minutes ago, TobiasA said:

Tbh the only areas in which it is overperforming is the fact that there are no G and Vne damage models and the radar range is slightly too high. 

It will perform a lot better once basic functionality and the Fm fixes are finally done. 

It's too fast with any realistic DI as well. High alt performance is optimistic. If you consider the radar range should be half ish its "minor" I guess. It's still missing AA radar modes, ground radar etc. No point in using the cat3 switch etc. But its usable for sure. And the overperformance is famously exploited online. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Fortunately I'm only half hard core and oblivious to some of the finer points. To me the plane is cool, the systems seem to almost make sense, and the plane goes stinky fast. 

I suppose I should thank the actual hard core flyers for keeping the pressure on ED to make the planes as realistic as possible.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Harlikwin:

It's too fast with any realistic DI as well. High alt performance is optimistic. If you consider the radar range should be half ish its "minor" I guess. It's still missing AA radar modes, ground radar etc. No point in using the cat3 switch etc. But its usable for sure. And the overperformance is famously exploited online. 

Yet we do not have velocity search or the long range modes. The radar range is not that much of an advantage since you can't engage anything above 30nm either way and we have Link 16 so if it wasn't on the radar it would be on datalink. But we don't have jamming indicators and can't use HOJ yet so I would be more than happy to trade a bit of radar range for full functionality. 

What is possibly wrong is the stores drag. But once you drop the tanks, high altitude speed is pretty much according to the book as long as you do not turn, because the lift coefficient is off. 

Saying that the F-16 is overperformance in total is not right, it is slightly better as it should in a very specific area while being a lot worse in all others. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter if it is not "complete" to me.  I really enjoy the Viper.  It is what I fly most after the A10.

If you like the look of it and are interested in flying it, try it for the 2 weeks for free.  If you like it - get it in a sale and have fun.

If you are one of those people that get wound up because it is not 100% realistic/complete then you will never be happy with DCS.

• Like 2