30mm fixed gun armament belt options

WinterH

Hi, I'm pretty sure this is planned, but wanted to voice my desire anyway.

It seems we currently have a ammunition belt that is either exclusively, or almost exclusively AP for the 30mm GSh-2-30K. And it is really great in dealing with any sort of vehicle, it can even damage tanks from sides! ...with the caveat of requiring direct hits.

I'd really love an ability to switch between ammunition options for the gun when rearming like many other modules do. 30mm HE shells would be really handy to have, especially against softer targets, most noticably infantry. It's almost integral to support gunship kind of roles Hind would be good at.

• Like 4

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

+1

AFAIK these are the ammunition options:

• OFZ (HEI)
  • OFZT (HEI-T)
  • BR (APHE)
  • BT (AP-T)
  • ME (fragmentation? shotgun-like?)

source 1

source 2

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

HE ammo combined with an updated splash damage system = nightmare potion for all infantry. 

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

7 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

HE ammo combined with an updated splash damage system = nightmare potion for all infantry. 

Yes, but to be fair, even without an overhaul of damage system, HE rounds make a lot of differencce already as it is. Ka-50' 30mm 2A42 and 23mm GSh-23L found on many modules work quite good on infantry with HE. NATO 20mm also, but to a lesser degree. So I'd rather not wait for whole rework of damage system before we just get access to some HE rounds too 🙂 They should do the trick really 🙂

51 minutes ago, S. Low said:

+1 hope HE ammo comes soon. Dakka dakka dakka 

Yep, WAAAAAAGGGGHH!!! :))

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a website that states HEx4, HE-Tx4, and AP-Tx4. Only odd thing is ED gave it a non tracer AP round, where as there doesn’t seem to be one in real life

http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_30mm.html

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 9/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, AeriaGloria said:

There is a website that states HEx4, HE-Tx4, and AP-Tx4. Only odd thing is ED gave it a non tracer AP round, where as there doesn’t seem to be one in real life

http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_30mm.html

Unless the AP round in DCS is actually the BR APHE round?

I just flew with "30MM AP" selected for the gun, and every now and then there would be a tracer, so maybe it's a mix of the BT AP-T and BR APHE round.

One thing though is that this does highlight nicely why it would be better to just name the actual round and the acronym of the round type, instead of how its currently named, which leaves it pretty vague and ambiguous IMO (also, in the case of "30MM HE" and "30MM AP", isn't the "30MM" redundant?).

For instance, instead of "30MM HE" -> "OFZT HEI-T" or "OFZ HEI".

For the belt described above you could do something like "4x BT AP-T + 4x OFZ HEI + 4x OFZT HEI-T".

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Unless the AP round in DCS is actually the BR APHE round?

I just flew with "30MM AP" selected for the gun, and every now and then there would be a tracer, so maybe it's a mix of the BT AP-T and BR APHE round.

One thing though is that this does highlight nicely why it would be better to just name the round and the acronym of the round type, instead of how its currently named, which leaves it ambiguous.

For instance "OFZT HEI-T", for the  belt described above you could do something like "4x BT AP-T + 4x OFZ HEI + 4x OFZT HEI-T".

Perhaps, here is the LUA for non tracer AP round https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-lua-datamine/blob/master/_G/weapons_table/weapons/shells/GSh_30_2K_AP.lua. It is not listed as explosive, so if it’s APHE they have simply not modeled the explosive part, maybe DCS can’t do AP and HE in one round so they went with AP since the combat mix is already HE biased

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

2 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

Perhaps, here is the LUA for non tracer AP round https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-lua-datamine/blob/master/_G/weapons_table/weapons/shells/GSh_30_2K_AP.lua. It is not listed as explosive, so if it’s APHE they have simply not modeled the explosive part, maybe DCS can’t do AP and HE in one round so they went with AP since the combat mix is already HE biased

I would expect APHE shells in DCS to not really act like HE, but do more overall damage to a vehicle after a successful penetration than pure AP.

Upcoming HEDP shell in Apache should have both anti armor and HE capabilities to some degree, and most HEAT rockets etc are also like that. But since APHE is usually meant to go off after going through some armor, I think in the context of DCS those will mostly be modeled as "AP shells that do more damage if they can pen". I don't really know it for sure, but I'd be surprised if APHE shells work well at all as HE substitutes IRL in most of the cases. In softish earth they'll probably bury themselves before going off, and against hard surfaces they may shatter before fuse doing its thing.

Looking at the files listed there however, there seems only to be AP and AP tracer, and taking a cursory look into their data, looks like they are almost exactly the same apart from one having a tracer. Their damage factor is listed the same too, so it doesn't seem like one is AP and other APHE from the current data.

Regardless, I'm very happy that now we get both AP and HE shells available at last 🙂

Edit: took a look at MiG-19's AP vs APHE, and (I know, not an ED module), it looks like it's not modeled in that case as I thought, instead they seem to have same damage factor but APHE has some HE content.

Edited by WinterH

DCS-Dismounts Script