We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

On 11/29/2023 at 5:06 AM, Rick50 said:

The end of year videos from ED show many upcoming projects... and in  the last year or two I think  they hinted  at an  Afghanistan map, I believe that might be currently in  development. This would be of great benefit for the Apache, Hind, Hip, Su-25, and many others too!

At the very end of the video, there is a set of coordinates, for part of Afghanistan, and the gunsight for the Phantom which  is about  to  release soon.. 

Afganistan map was confirmed by Wags.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:16 PM, Buzz313th said:

Yes Please...

Maybe a huge project that covers them all and brings the NTTR into a big Southern California Scenery Project..

Add to all of the above...  

Naval Auxiliary Landing Field - San Clemente Island, March AFB, China Lake, Point Mugu and all the class B,C,D and E civil airports.  

Some of them, was talked by Wags... a improvement to NTTR will coming on a future, but pacific zones, has other map.

5 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

do you remember the F-19 microprose simulator? well there was a very interesting map there for me, I would also like it here on DCS.

It was north Libya/Tunisia map with blue airfields in Sicily and Cyprus.

There also were full Persian Gulf, North Cape and East Europe all cold war maps. Great selection!

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

18 hours ago, draconus said:

It was north Libya/Tunisia map with blue airfields in Sicily and Cyprus.

There also were full Persian Gulf, North Cape and East Europe all cold war maps. Great selection!

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL MAP IN THE MANUAL

Libya-Full.jpg

CentralEurope-Full.jpg

NorthCape-Half.jpg

AND PERSIAN GULF WE HAVE IN DCS.

• Like 3

Probably a dead issue, pretty much, but I'd say the Med, with the outline coastline surrounding it and the entry from the Atlantic. Probably too large an area, but would cover many scenarios.

Apart from that, Iceland comes to mind, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

@Xilon_x
If I remember? I have the original box here somewhere. It had excellent choice of maps.
Though the book has the "wrong" airframe on the cover while it was published in 1990, one has to assume the F-117 version was already on its way as it had been used in Panama and wasn't a secret anymore. The stealth cold war reconoscense missions were a blast!

2797ad561e22d3cdc5e8d75bdc4f74d8.jpg22fa3bdbb0c787d4ea39b5292758602d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Just now, Xilon_x said:

and completely identical to the one we currently have in DCS.

Only the picture is similar. In DCS we have only south part of Iran, UAE and part of Oman modeled. No Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Bahrain.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 minutes ago, draconus said:

Solo l'immagine è simile. Nel DCS abbiamo modellato solo la parte meridionale dell’Iran, degli Emirati Arabi Uniti e parte dell’Oman. Niente Iraq, Kuwait, Arabia Saudita, Qatar o Bahrein.

It's more than enough for the DCS map programmers, for now just the extension of the map is enough, even if it's not 100% complete that's fine too, then maybe over time the missing parts will also be modelled. IRAN IRAQ etc.etc. moreover, even the map of the CAUCASUS is not complete, CRIMEA is not modeled, TURKEY is not modeled, ROMANIA and BULGARIA are not modeled, the Strait of CONSTATINOPOLI is not modeled.

• Like 1

Xilon, your arctic circle idea is a great one for many reasons. I doubt it would be currently possible, with memory leaks, and the absolutely VAST area that must be. So maybe not today or in 6 months (or even in 2 years really)...

...BUT...

I think with a fair bit of patience, this will likely come to DCS eventually. Why? Well because great choice. Because improved coding styles to make much larger terrains practical in DCS. Better hardware in the hands of virtual aces, better hardware for DCS creators/developers. Possible future improvements to the programs to create the terrains with improved workflow, and terrain data optimisation...

AND...

DCS Global Map.

Whenever that might appear! 

No, I've no idea how far along that project is. Might be a really long ways off. Or maybe in near future. BUT, I believe that long-term, this, along with more emphasis on Cold War/Korea/Nam and WW2, is the future direction of DCS development. Along with already established goals of improvements to AI and virtual persistent dynamic campaigns. 

this actually makes me wonder if the dynamic campaign system may be affected by the future of a global map? combining the two would be incredibly awesome... but it may drain a LOT of hardware resources to run on a global map. Dunno.

What about a map stretching from Baku to China's Xinjiang province? Say it includes the tops of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan, a tiny bit of Kashmir region,  all on the bottom of the map.

The main focus for the map would be Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and the north part of the map would be Kazakhstan.

Certainly too large for DCS today... but in future, when say Korea or Vietnam maps are practical, or maybe even before that (maybe?), and when global map is working, there could be all sorts of value for the region for fictional but plausible scenarios, with opportunities for red on red (equipment wise I mean) when people want a change of pace from Spamraam duels! 

• 4 weeks later...

I know this topic is old as dirt, but my $.02 if ED is really going to do an Afghanistan map...

1. Balkans- to include maybe N. Greece, and some of Italy for Blue land bases. This would be cool to do some historical Balkans conflict missions.

2. Korean Peninsula- historical Korean War battles, but also some neat future scenarios like DPRK crossing the 38th Parallel. 

3. Obligatory request for Vietnam. 

• Like 1

My map wishes:

1. Vietnam. Me love you looooong time!

2. Iceland and the North Atlantic over to the West Coast of Norway, to include Andoya and Vestfjord. Lots of naval war to be fought Clancy style in the GIUK gap. Would also complement the upcoming Kola map. 

3. For WWII, North Africa! 

• Like 1

To join and push what @Scal says even further, ED's wish is to make a world map in the future.

Wouldn't it be interesting to merge the Caucasus map with Syria and Sinai for the start of a world map?

The missions would be interesting, the arrival of logistical modules, dynamic campaign, but also the pleasure of flying on a map with a different environment would bring more players to fly on the same server.

And then expand everything with High Quality and Low Quality zones for balancing resources.

We don't necessarily ask for a world map nullfrom the start. But a progressive construction of this kind would be welcome I think, and promising in the long term.

image.jpeg

Edited by WizardLyric3130
  • Like 1

DCS : "ORACLE 1-7 | Cochonou" 

Discord : une_merguez_d_avenir

29 minutes ago, WizardLyric3130 said:

To join and push what @Scal says even further, ED's wish is to make a world map in the future.

Wouldn't it be interesting to merge the Caucasus map with Syria and Sinai for the start of a world map?

The missions would be interesting, the arrival of logistical modules, dynamic campaign, but also the pleasure of flying on a map with a different environment would bring more players to fly on the same server.

And then expand everything with High Quality and Low Quality zones for balancing resources.

We don't necessarily ask for a world map nullfrom the start. But a progressive construction of this kind would be welcome I think, and promising in the long term.

image.jpeg

The actual map technology has not implement the conection into maps, that require improvements y rebuild the maps on the "sfere world" technoloty and the map interconection feature. Other issue, the maps dont show the high detail zones, as persian gulf, caucasus and others.

12 hours ago, Mogster said:

WW2

Extend The Channel map East, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Mediterranean, Malta, Sicily, Tunisia

Solomon Islands

Absolutely yes - for each and every one of these

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WizardLyric3130 said:

We don't know yet how it's gonna turn out with the global map vs DLC maps - just that they can't be merged due to different tech. The DLC maps can't be merged either even when their borders overlap. Recently announced Iraq and Afghanistan map will nicely connect and fulfill the Near East and Persian Gulf Regions - that's great already and a wish granted for many posters in this very thread. Maybe they can figure out some dynamic background terrain reloading when approaching the map boundary or just a minute or two of wait will be needed with a message: "You've reached the map boundary, wait for the terrain to load: 1%"

• Like 1

Genuinely don’t understand the desire for a global map…

- Model past, current and potential future conflict zones

-Model them well, with location specific terrain, detail and “character”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Genuinely don’t understand the desire for a global map…

- Model past, current and potential future conflict zones

-Model them well, with location specific terrain, detail and “character”

It's enough for smaller AO and local conflict missions but for longer flights - ferries, logistics and other between the maps - the global map is needed. Bigger wars can be simulated then.

• Like 1