Do we have confirmation of AI navigator

Gunfreak

5 hours ago, Krupi said:

From discussions AI Navigator and Radio Operator are planned, so probably not with the EA.

Although going on what I saw in the latest video there was definitely a Navigator sitting alongside the pilot,so on EA maybe we'll get a static one.....an all singing and dancing model like the F-14 has might not yet be on the table yet.

But who knows,there just has'nt been any info on it,so we maybe pleasantly surprised.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

How would they implement it? I would be all over this plane if it actually had a useful AI navigator, that basically guided you to your targets and back to base, but it's probably going to be the same old (check F10 map) head for grid coordinates, look for enemy, drop bombs and then head back to airfield. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

How would they implement it? I would be all over this plane if it actually had a useful AI navigator, that basically guided you to your targets and back to base, but it's probably going to be the same old (check F10 map) head for grid coordinates, look for enemy, drop bombs and then head back to airfield. 

Your guess is as good as mine old chap,and let's not kid ourselves there's only so many tasks a WW2 Navigator can undertake,simply because the systems available to him are pretty basic compared to those the modern jet fighter/bomber systems co pilot enjoys.

I do hope however that in the future we will enjoy something a little more advanced than just a static Navigator......we live in hope 😉

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

This was posted in the newsletter way back on the 19th March prior to the external model rework delay announcement :-

Features coming after Early Access:

• Rockets armament
  • Radio units T1154 (transmitter) & R1155 (receiver) 
  • The historical accurate navigation system for WWII aircraft
  • Controllable AI navigator and radio operator

Going off the updated list given out in last Friday's newsletter with what we are getting in the EA release it looks like the T1154 & R1155 radio sets have now been implemented during the external model rework delay. However the latest newsletter doesn't state what we will be getting after EA release other than saying :-

"We have updated the list of Mossie Early Access features and will be making additions in autumn." 

Going off this information, I'm hopeful ED will implement the remaining three items on the original "features coming after Early Access" list posted back in March sometime in the Autumn of this year, which should include the AI Navigator features. Fingers crossed eh. 

I'm still curious as to what the historical navigation system is that ED are planning on adding though. From the books I have read the FB Mk VI did use Gee on some raids so this could be a possibility. Having your AI nav operate the Gee and give you appropriate headings would be great! as would him saying " aww s**t, the Gee's just packed up - we're on dead reckoning from now on" as I've heard in numerous WW2 movies!!.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Yep we aren't getting a very early Mossie FB VI in terms of radio equipment, as we have an Aerial Mast behind the cockpit.

mosquito-fbvi-08-flight-simulator.jpg

FB VI's look to have had that removed following the installation of GEE Equipment.

AFTER HJ743.PNG

The aircraft that attacked Aimens Prison were all GEE Equipped...

mossies_487sqn_rnzaf_largecrop.jpg

I started this discussion here... 

As to how many FB VI's had GEE compared to not, I don't know.... if my source is correct not many. The photos of FB VI's with the mast look to be Coastal Command ones where a GEE was not required.

Ultimately I can understand why they would model a none GEE version as it is kind of pointless without creating the whole GEE system which would be a lot of work for a feature used for night time operations deep into German held territory.

Edited by Krupi
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Interesting post Krupi, so looking at the screenshot with the radio aerial, this indicates that we are definitely not getting the Gee equipped Mossie.

I wonder what the "historical accurate navigation system" is going to be then?

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Well I suppose it could be the Oboe system, let me do some digging. 

Wiki actually has some decent information. 

Oboe_illustration.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oboe_(navigation)

Edited by Krupi
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

10 minutes ago, Ercoupe said:

I've seen what I thought were the latest videos, and I saw no one sitting next to the pilot.

Take a look at the introduction video here :-

At 0:55 seconds into it you can clearly see two crew sat in it. Some clips show no nav and others show one. I assume this could be because the ones showing the nav are recent videos whereas earlier clips show none as it hadn't been developed at that time?

Edited by bart

On 8/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, Basco1 said:

Your guess is as good as mine old chap,and let's not kid ourselves there's only so many tasks a WW2 Navigator can undertake,simply because the systems available to him are pretty basic compared to those the modern jet fighter/bomber systems co pilot enjoys.

I do hope however that in the future we will enjoy something a little more advanced than just a static Navigator......we live in hope 😉

I think you have that pretty much backwards. A separate Navigator is far more busy and required in WWII era than in modern. Modern aircraft don't need a Navigator at all.

The absence of Radio NAVAIDS means the navigator must rely on Dead Reckoning, Celestial Navigation and Pilotage to update an estimated position. A human Mossie Navigator would have plenty to do. The AI Navigator is, unfortunately, already modeled in the form of the kneeboard mark own position. Always perfect and always available. Turn that off, and code the AI Navigator to complain a lot and very reluctantly show you his position estimate on the chart after you ask him three times and you would have something. Off course, his estimate needs to have random accuracy as part of the code.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 2:50 PM, =475FG= Dawger said:

I think you have that pretty much backwards. A separate Navigator is far more busy and required in WWII era than in modern. Modern aircraft don't need a Navigator at all.

The absence of Radio NAVAIDS means the navigator must rely on Dead Reckoning, Celestial Navigation and Pilotage to update an estimated position. A human Mossie Navigator would have plenty to do. The AI Navigator is, unfortunately, already modeled in the form of the kneeboard mark own position. Always perfect and always available. Turn that off, and code the AI Navigator to complain a lot and very reluctantly show you his position estimate on the chart after you ask him three times and you would have something. Off course, his estimate needs to have random accuracy as part of the code.

I'm well aware of this....my poor choice of terminology I guess using the words 'Navigator' with regards to the second pilot,you took me too literally.I fully appreciate modern aircraft have navigational aids that require hardly any input from the second pilot.I was speaking more in terms of the second pilot role rather than that of the navigator role.

I took it for granted that most people would understand what I was trying to point out,obviously I threw you with my choice of words....I stand corrected 😉

Edited by Basco1

• 2 years later...

Saw a video of a ED mission in South Atlantic map mimicking shipping attacks in the Norwegian fjords, and in the mission the creator explains that the navigator guides and sets the DR directional radio. Gives navigational instruction and sorts fuel out. How do we get this to happen in missions we create in the mission editor? As far as I was aware we don’t yet have an AI navigator for the Mossie. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 8/17/2021 at 7:50 PM, bart said:

I wonder what the "historical accurate navigation system" is going to be then?

Normally referred to as …

”map and compass”😉

25 minutes ago, westr said:

Saw a video of a ED mission in South Atlantic map mimicking shipping attacks in the Norwegian fjords, and in the mission the creator explains that the navigator guides and sets the DR directional radio. Gives navigational instruction and sorts fuel out. How do we get this to happen in missions we create in the mission editor? As far as I was aware we don’t yet have an AI navigator for the Mossie. 

Linky??

22 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Normally referred to as …

”map and compass”😉

Linky??

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Looks like the same thing Reflected did in his "V for Victory" campaign, which is: clever use of scripts, triggers, custom voice recordings and tons of time spent in the editor to make all this stuff activate and work in correct order, moments and locations.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.