How do you mouse in VR?

Vanguard

I decided to blow the dust off this game and surprise, 10 minutes in I'm opening bug reports and now I'm here asking for help. Why do I keep doing this to myself. Ok, vent over...

After frustrations from the mouse intermittently not working after alt-tabbing in out, I decided to uncheck "use mouse" and now I have a lovely blue cross in the middle of my screen. Please tell me, for the love of god, that you don't fly hour long missions with a blue cross in the middle of your face? What am I doing wrong here?

With "use mouse" enabled, the blue cursor would at least go away after the mouse not being touched for some time. Usually it would disappear a second just before I needed it again due to murphy's law. Anyway, the fact that it's also bound to my face and won't stay where I left it by being independent from the camera is annoying as hell, so I'd like to just use the face mouse, but this forever blue cross in my face, really?

Also, I bound a joystick to left/right mouse button, works fine for everything including the pause menu, but as soon as I select options or adjust controls, I can't even use the bound button to click cancel. I have to aim my face at cancel, reach forward and left click my mouse. This game is hilarious.

Edited by Vanguard

... frustration, and sometimes anger.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

I have no real issues using my mouse in VR. I have a pull out panel to my right and my mouse sits on it when gaming in VR so it is convenient and easily reached. I also have assigned to buttons on my HOTAS and I will use them from time to time.

I am on wait list for a Point Control so if/when my turn to order ever comes up I will be anxious to try it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ya, the mouse isn't too bad if you have a panel/surface next to you. The point of this thread is understanding if the blue cross is permanently in your face if you're not using a mouse, or am I missing an option somewhere. If the answer is "that's how it is", then I guess my next stop is the wishlist forum asking for it to fade after a set interval an re-appear on a click. But, hopefully that's not the answer, or someone has a suggestion/workaround. I've never seen a software company struggle so much with a mouse... doesn't work after alt-tab, doesn't confine to the game window, I can't flick Confirm or Cancel with the bound keys. Binding the scroll wheel doesn't repeat after a delay, so to turn a dial I need to smash the button 20 times, like HMD dial in F18. It must be a joke.

Maybe not for everyone but I have a cheap, wireless trackball, which I've hot-glued to the top right of my warthog joystick. It has a finger trigger which is left click and all the other thumb buttons are right click. It also has a thumbwheel for scrolling. Very easy to get to with a small movement of my right hand. Works really well for me. I have mouse sensitivity turned low (actually have a voise attack activated marco to adjust mouse sensitivity).

I really only use the ball to get the cross hairs roughly over a control and then fine aim with head movement before clicking or scrolling the wheel to turn a dial.

IMG_E7471.JPG

• Like 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I think the blue cross should fade once no input for a certain time has happened

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I also used to regularly get the mouse not working situation. I find the solution is to make sure all other windows are minimised and ensure you've clicked Alt+enter to go full screen. I still ocasionally get that issue so I have 2 buttons dedicated to voice attack macros - 1 for Alt+tab and 1 for Alt+enter

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

@Ala12Rv-TundraThink it should, as in that's it's current behavior, or think it should as in, we should change it do to so.

@ShaunX well there you go, in your case you actually want the mouse movement and head bound together. Interesting all of these use cases. 

I should probably be yelling at McDonnell Douglas more than ED. It's the ridiculous amount of MFD buttons required for the 18 that's really the issue. The Navy needs to learn what HOTAS means and learn a thing or two from Fairchild and General Dynamics 😉 

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

@Ala12Rv-TundraThink it should, as in that's it's current behavior, or think it should as in, we should change it do to so.

@ShaunX well there you go, in your case you actually want the mouse movement and head bound together. Interesting all of these use cases. 

I should probably be yelling at McDonnell Douglas more than ED. It's the ridiculous amount of MFD buttons required for the 18 that's really the issue. The Navy needs to learn what HOTAS means and learn a thing or two from Fairchild and General Dynamics 😉 

Invest $65 into 2 TM MFDs sir, great bang for your money

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

10 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I think the blue cross should fade once no input for a certain time has happened

That works for me. Takes about 10 seconds for it to dissapear after moving the ball or clicking. The secret then is to remember to look towards the control you want before left clicking to activate the cross again

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

That works for me. Takes about 10 seconds for it to dissapear after moving the ball or clicking. The secret then is to remember to look towards the control you want before left clicking to activate the cross again

that´s smart, however I never took the time to develop muscle memory for asigning left-right click to the HOTAS or the touch controllers to operate; I still use a trackball by my right thigh. PointCTRL is on its way too.

10 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

that´s smart, however I never took the time to develop muscle memory for asigning left-right click to the HOTAS or the touch controllers to operate; I still use a trackball by my right thigh. PointCTRL is on its way too.

..or if they ever get Leap Motion sorted out 🤣

So aside from buying some MFDs (which I agree would be nice except, it feels counter-intuitive to build a physical environment along with their mounts to support a virtual world) I have two options then...

A) Enable "Use Mouse", but don't touch the mouse, therefore it will be in the middle just like the face mouse, but it will fade after my last mouse click, and just hope the bugs associated with this get fixed sooner than later or...

B) Fly for hours with a blue cross in the middle of my face

Edit: I just came across this, seems useful if it works:

Recenter Cursor via VoiceAttack (VR and trackIR)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309670/

Double Edit: Hallelujah this solves most of my issues. Was able to tweak it to get the cursor right on the HMD cursor and a lower one for comfort. Works great! Had no idea this functionality existed in VA. Many thanks @Bailey

Edited by Vanguard

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

So aside from buying some MFDs (which I agree would be nice except, it feels counter-intuitive to build a physical environment along with their mounts to support a virtual world) I have two options then...

A) Enable "Use Mouse", but don't touch the mouse, therefore it will be in the middle just like the face mouse, but it will fade after my last mouse click, and just hope the bugs associated with this get fixed sooner than later or...

B) Fly for hours with a blue cross in the middle of my face

Edit: I just came across this, seems useful if it works:

Recenter Cursor via VoiceAttack (VR and trackIR)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309670/

Double Edit: Hallelujah this solves most of my issues. Was able to tweak it to get the cursor right on the HMD cursor and a lower one for comfort. Works great! Had no idea this functionality existed in VA. Many thanks @Bailey

How does one use this combined with a Vaicom Pro Profile?

Also it says easy instructions included but I do not see any.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

So aside from buying some MFDs (which I agree would be nice except, it feels counter-intuitive to build a physical environment along with their mounts to support a virtual world)

On the contrary, you would develop muscle memory really fast, the very same you operate diferent switches, hats and so from your HOTAS.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

How does one use this combined with a Vaicom Pro Profile?

Also it says easy instructions included but I do not see any.

Personally I hit edit profile on the Vaicom Pro profile, then at the top next to the profile name hit options. In there you can specify "Include commands from other profiles". 

My VR rig is left of my desk, when I use it i swing my monitor arm over so I can see it and place my mouse on the left edge of my desk to use.  I wouldn't mind getting a mouse mount for my chair.  But I've also considered just placing a wireless ambidextrous mouse on my left side as I have a wheelstand pro that my throttle sits on and there's room to use a mouse on the left side of the throttle.

My cursor fades after a few seconds of idle like others have mentioned here so I have no idea why yours would not be doing that.

Another Idea I had recently is to 3d print holsters for the Valve knuckle controllers that attach to the aluminum extrusion of my stick mount.  Which now is an inverted long Monstertech mount I just screwed to the piece of MDF I made up which my pedals also screw to.  That way I could just reach forward and grab either one when I want.

I'm using a Kensington trackball as well, the one with the scroll ring 😀

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

15 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

On the contrary, you would develop muscle memory really fast, the very same you operate diferent switches, hats and so from your HOTAS.

I'm very interested in getting some, my bigger issue with them is the mounting solution and cost. I don't have a "dedicated" flight sim setup per say, which makes VR nice, I can sit anywhere with a HOTAS in my hands and I'm golden. As soon as you start looking into mounts, these $65 MFDs start costing hundreds. I've got my TM Throttle and Stick sitting on a stool to my left and between my legs plus an extension on the stick and they're both perfect height and meet my needs. After looking at them a bit more and watching a unboxing vid, I'm hoping that the weighted desk base is enough, and if not some two sided tape or c-clamp will be enough for sturdiness. 

They seem to be $175 here for some reason, and no one has any in stock including Amazon Thrustmaster store, who want an additional $35 shipping even with prime. I guess I'll have to wait.

Edited by Vanguard
spelling

On 9/4/2021 at 12:33 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Ok I managed to source 2 of these (4 total), looking forward to it. Says about 4-7 days. The shipping was $30. There was a second option to get them in 7-10 days for $120. Yup, 4x money to wait longer.

28 buttons of goodness, I imagine even planes that don't have MFDs these are really handy. With 4 I might be able to map every circuit breaker in the Mi-8 haha.

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I guess a trackball is the next buy.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

This only happens with "Use Mouse" enabled. If you disable it, the blue cross remains smack in the middle of your face for the entire session, that was my primary complaint. Moving your face is moving the mouse so it stays there forever. If it wasn't for that, I'd use the face mouse. The voice attack profile I posted above has proven to solve the issue and basically turns use mouse into a face mouse with even more comfort because it's offset.

Edited by Vanguard

If u uncheck "use mouse" your HMD will function as a mouse, and yes you'll fly with a blue cross in your face. A couple of weeks ago I raised a question about if the color, form or size of that awfull cross could be changed, but Í've yet to get an answer.

Edited by Marco Schaap
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.