How big a difference did getting TrackIR or similar make for you?

Now that I'm playing DCS more, I'm considering getting TrackIR or something similar so I can stop using the trim hat switch on my Cougar to look around and constantly hit the NumPad 5 key to center my view again.

Is TrackIR or similar really that big a deal for those of you who have it?

27 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

TrackIR or similar really that big a deal for those of you who have it?

yes, it is at least as significant as a hotas, a game changer.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi I'm new to dcs , but I use AI Track and Opentrack and they seem to work really well , and they are free , so big win for me ,can spend money on other things .

• Like 2

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

Head-Tracking is a game changer. Even more important than a premium hotas....

In a dogfight you will stand close to no chance without it (against a human with head tracking).

Trackir is not the only, certainly one of the most expensive, but probably the best solution.

You don't need the active IR-clip though, the passive one works just fine.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

It was a game changer since its released two decades ago during my falcon4 days. Nowadays the pricetag remains the same and there are better and Cheaper alternatives out there. 

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

HUGE.  As others have said as much as getting a true HOTAS/rudder pedals.  It took me at least 2 weeks before I thought it was worth keeping.  Never looked back after that.  At least until I got my first VR headset.  To me, that was another step forward.

• Like 2

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

19 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

Now that I'm playing DCS more, I'm considering getting TrackIR or something similar so I can stop using the trim hat switch on my Cougar to look around and constantly hit the NumPad 5 key to center my view again.

Is TrackIR or similar really that big a deal for those of you who have it?

This was an incredible step ahead for me - what an immersion! I use this device since more than 8 years now and I'm still impressed. The next step for me would
be VR, but as long as the prices are that high, especially for new generation GPUs and VR headsets, it is not an option for me.

I have made very good experiences with the original TrackIR, although the price is quite high for this piece of hardware, which hasn't evolved very much in the
last 5 years (also their software). It runs very well and flawless, but I think their price politics is a insolence...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THERION said:

It runs very well and flawless, but I think their price politics is a insolence...

there are alternatives, I’m very satisfied with my delan clip + ps3 cam + facetracknoir software, that costs a third of a trackIr

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

there are alternatives, I’m very satisfied with my delan clip + ps3 cam + facetracknoir software, that costs a third of a trackIr

Of course there are alternatives, mate. I didn't want to deny them, but I only have experience with the "original" TrackIR, so I mentioned
my experience with this device. I know, there are other devices working as good as the "original" one, if not better (I don't know). But
I didn't mentioned them, because I do not have any experience with them. There are a lot of guys and gals here with appropriate

experience to talk about it.

Cheerio

For the alternatives that I tried, my conclusion would be - with some you can get similar experience to the "original" trackir, but you need more time and energy to make it work.

And while the price tag for trackir, compared with those alternatives, is quite large, compared to the rest of my equipment (hotas etc.) it is still a pretty minor expense.

I don't want to argue in favor or against the alternatives here, just give a differnet point of view.

• Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

trackir completely changed the game for me.  and now that i have it configured and set up the way i like it, i don't think i could play without it.

while the the jetseat isnt that same level, it is also a great way to get more information without seeing it on the screen. high g's?  are the airbrakes out? did i just get hit by something? you can feel it in the seat instead of having to look.

• Like 3

Gamechanger, as others have said. Looking around became so natural to me that, when watching DCS videos or playing games that do not support TrackIR, I tilt my head to look around and then wonder why the view isn't moving! Whether you buy the real deal or make your own for a few bucks, it will be worth every cent

• Like 3