How to lock a target in the hornet?

pstavis
Go to solution Solved by Caster,

Recently I moved from the F14 to the F18 looking for some fun. Of course theres a lot of differences but when it comes to the radar, I supposed it kinda works the same: You find the bogie on the radar, lock 'em and shoot 'em.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why sometimes the radar keeps scanning the target but no STT lock happens. I press the lock (tdc depress) over and over but no luck. I made a video for another discussion regarding a campaign:

Around the 7 minutes mark I try a STT lock on two bogies. You can see the radar tries to lock 'em but no luck. Am I missing some step here?

Appreciate any inputs you have into this issue (don't mind the rest of the flight, i'm still working on it).

Thx!

• Solution

Razo has it right, but to be super unambigous, you're trying to lock onto a datalink image when you don't have a radar return, which you can't do. Also worth bearing in mind the different scan centering modes (AUTO/MAN/BIAS) that may affect the position of the scan volume. As always, Chuck's guide has an excellent section describing this

• Like 2

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

Seems pretty obvious i'm not playing with the radar correctly. I belive i'm still hoping the guy in the back of the F14 will help me here too 😅

Just to be sure: I'm always supposed to change the radar elevation or is there any other way to make it "automatic"?

Seems pretty obvious i'm not playing with the radar correctly. I belive i'm still hoping the guy in the back of the F14 will help me here too

Just to be sure: I'm always supposed to change the radar elevation or is there any other way to make it "automatic"?
It will automatically hold on to tracks in TWS AUTO. Otherwise just adjust antenna elevation as with every other aircraft. You could just center scan volume via AZ/EL TDC if you really don't want to slew elevation directly.

Mobius708

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just another note regarding your video. In the oil in the water campaign thread you mentioned being ambushed/killed by the second fighter.  When you turned right toward the bandits you closed range on them both and allowed them to stay close to one another. Had you turned left, the second fighter would've been further back which would've have helped keep you out of his engagement range for longer and created separation between the two fighters.  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

• 2 weeks later...