Advice on VR

Jackjack171

If I am in the wrong forum, my apologies! I'm in here mostly (Tomcat is my favorite module) so I figured I'd ask here. Moderators feel free to kick this wherever! 

I have been looking at VR lately as Track IR has "limits"! I've been looking into the Oculus types but just found out that you need Facebook to log into it. I do not have Facebook, nor do I intend on getting it. Can anyone recommend a VR Headset? What I need, what I don't need? 

Thank you in advance!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

It might be worth adding your PC specs to see how well you should be able to run VR.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I had a Rift and Rift S, then switched to an HP headset, a couple of years ago after FB's actions ... the HP headsets are excellent, but you need a fairly high spec PC and spend a little time getting them working - worth the investment in time and money. I get a fairly steady 45FPS on most maps, on fairly high settings.

PS> I have a 7700k with 32GB of RAM and a top end video card and fly the 14 almost exclusively.

PPS> I flew with TIR for years ... after switching to VR, I've never gone back 🙂

Edited by Kula66
  • Thanks 1

I have used a Rift CV1 for years but decided to move away from Oculus for that very same reason: with their new headset you basically give Facebook permission to record everything you say and film everything you have in your room. No thanks!

I'm happy with my HP Reverb G2, but as others stated, you need a beast of a PC if you want a good experience in VR.

The Oculus software is far better than Windows Mixed Reality, but the privacy issues are a dealbreaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Right now if I was you I'd get the G2.  I'm still happy with Odyssey+ as I don't want to reduce FOV and the Pimax are too expensive for they are IMO.  Hoping 2022 brings some better headsets.  I like WMR overall. 

Works great with the Tomcat and VR is sooo immersive.  Really get a sense of spatial awareness in BFM and formation flying.

I always like to look at the backup compass just because which is something very easy in VR as well as looking behind, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 12/24/2021 at 2:57 AM, Baldrick33 said:

It might be worth adding your PC specs to see how well you should be able to run VR.

You are right! Will correct!

CPU: i7-8700k @3,70 GHz
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080TI
RAM: 32GBCrossair Vengeance ddr4 at 2400 mega Hz 
SSD: 1.81 TB 

I think I was getting frustrating reading reviews before I typed it!

Thank you to all who have already replied. I really appreciate it!

On 12/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I have used a Rift CV1 for years but decided to move away from Oculus for that very same reason: with their new headset you basically give Facebook permission to record everything you say and film everything you have in your room. No thanks!

I'm happy with my HP Reverb G2, but as others stated, you need a beast of a PC if you want a good experience in VR.

The Oculus software is far better than Windows Mixed Reality, but the privacy issues are a dealbreaker.

Thank you! The privacy and security concerns are mine as well!

7 hours ago, Uxi said:

Right now if I was you I'd get the G2.  I'm still happy with Odyssey+ as I don't want to reduce FOV and the Pimax are too expensive for they are IMO.  Hoping 2022 brings some better headsets.  I like WMR overall. 

Works great with the Tomcat and VR is sooo immersive.  Really get a sense of spatial awareness in BFM and formation flying.

I always like to look at the backup compass just because which is something very easy in VR as well as looking behind, etc. 

I was looking at the Pimax. The price is just a tad bit more than the HP Reverb. 

Question, how do you guys use VR in DCS? I see theses headsets come with hand controllers. How do you use your keyboards? Are the hand controllers necessary? 

I use mostly HOTAS.  Sometimes mouse though have a button box I need to finish which should take of most of that.  Keyboard only when necessary.

• Thanks 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Rift s -> hp g2 here.

Can't go back to flat screen at all.. but setting up the HP G2 was a pita for me i went from crashing, to micro stutters to finally getting stable framerates. 11700,3080,32gb. Just stupid how much time to get it running decently but worth the pain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, Jackjack171 said:

If I am in the wrong forum, my apologies! I'm in here mostly (Tomcat is my favorite module) so I figured I'd ask here. Moderators feel free to kick this wherever! 

I have been looking at VR lately as Track IR has "limits"! I've been looking into the Oculus types but just found out that you need Facebook to log into it. I do not have Facebook, nor do I intend on getting it. Can anyone recommend a VR Headset? What I need, what I don't need? 

Thank you in advance!

I was in the same place regarding facepalm but to be honest you make an account and forget about it. If you are worried they are tracking you then you need to get rid of every electronic device you own and go and live in a cave. I have found the Quest 2 pretty decent and perfect for a entry into VR. This guy https://www.youtube.com/c/VRFlightSimGuy does quite a few reviews of the various headsets and settings, though mostly MSFS, there are a few on DCS and some of the settings etc are quite useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a G1 and we have a family Quest 2.

The Quest 2 is very versatile and can be used for many games and obviously very portable, the G1 I use for DCS and race sims.

If the primary use is DCS I would go with a G2 right now.

If you can squeeze a few more MHz out of your processor all the better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I'm also gonna vouch for the Quest2. It has the best value IMO. Resolution is slightly worse than the G2 (1832 x 1920 vs. 2160 x 2160) but at a much lower price (roughly 300$ vs 600$). The tracking of both HMD and controllers is good and I personally find it comfortable to wear for hours (I think 5 is the most I played straight) without any aftermarket straps. I understand the privacy concerns but Facebook isn't the only offender there. Your cell phone collects probably a lot more data about you than the Q2 ever could, yet no one is gonna toss their iPhone for a Nokia 3210. You're also only gonna need the FB account once to activate the Quest. After that, you can turn off its Wifi, it won't complain.

As for the controllers, I can't live without them anymore. Being able to reach around the cockpit and (at least pretent to) flip the switches if very immersive and IMO better/faster than clicking around with the mouse. You need to put away the controllers for flying of course. If have the left one on my lap and the right on a box just next to my chair. That way, I can quickly grab them if needed

• Thanks 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

2 hours ago, WinOrLose said:

I was in the same place regarding facepalm but to be honest you make an account and forget about it. If you are worried they are tracking you then you need to get rid of every electronic device you own and go and live in a cave. I have found the Quest 2 pretty decent and perfect for a entry into VR. This guy https://www.youtube.com/c/VRFlightSimGuy does quite a few reviews of the various headsets and settings, though mostly MSFS, there are a few on DCS and some of the settings etc are quite useful.

If only it were that simple. I don't take photos and put them on the internet. According to some reviews, FB wants a photo to verify who you are! For a game?! I read about people making dummy accounts and getting locked out. There was some other questionable stuff also. Thanks, but no, it just doesn't sit right in my soul what they are doing over there at FB!

I think I'll go with the either the G2 or the Pixma.

Edited by Jackjack171

Hi

I have an outdated oculus rift s for a year ago and I am still amazed everytime I get onboard a F14. I have a good hotas setup, mouse, and voice attack, and I forget about the keyboard. Using oculus touch controllers seems very cumbersome to me

And I dont know nothing about facebook since I created an account one year ago

If you can go VR... do it, but there is no way back !!

4 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

If only it were that simple. I don't take photos and put them on the internet. According to some reviews, FB wants a photo to verify who you are! For a game?! I read about people making dummy accounts and getting locked out. There was some other questionable stuff also. Thanks, but no, it just doesn't sit right in my soul what they are doing over there at FB!

I think I'll go with the either the G2 or the Pixma.

No photograph - I just added the minimum information needed to create the account and have never used FB since. Like others say just as much, if not more, gets collected by your phone, alexa, google etc etc.

6 hours ago, WinOrLose said:

No photograph - I just added the minimum information needed to create the account and have never used FB since. Like others say just as much, if not more, gets collected by your phone, alexa, google etc etc.

That would be awesome except that the Photo thing is all over the reviews from Amazon. To me, it's not worth the risk. I do not have Alexa and I keep all of my privacy and security settings with those things off or turned down. Amazon collects enough data; I'm not going to add to it! I'm a minimalist and very private! Thanks for the information though, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

That would be awesome except that the Photo thing is all over the reviews from Amazon. To me, it's not worth the risk. I do not have Alexa and I keep all of my privacy and security settings with those things off or turned down. Amazon collects enough data; I'm not going to add to it! I'm a minimalist and very private! Thanks for the information though, I really appreciate it!

That's fine and I was in your camp but I can absolutely assure you I haven't added a photo and have never been on facebook since the day of registration and have had the headset a year.

On 12/24/2021 at 5:52 AM, Jackjack171 said:

I've been looking into the Oculus types but just found out that you need Facebook to log into it. I do not have Facebook, nor do I intend on getting it.

You can side load an app to break the need for a FB account link with Oculus 2, I have that and will get around to doing that soon.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

13 hours ago, WinOrLose said:

That's fine and I was in your camp but I can absolutely assure you I haven't added a photo and have never been on facebook since the day of registration and have had the headset a year.

It's possible that it's a regional thing. In the US, for example, they can get away with a lot more abuse than they can in the EU. That said, FB has been in hot water over this lately, so hopefully they'll knock it off entirely.

Still, watch out for account deletion. Some people like you got shafted for "inauthentic accounts" in the past. Facebook's efforts to catch trolls and the like have occasionally swept up innocent people who just don't use the damn thing all that much, since it matches certain usage patterns associated with fake accounts. 

I'm using the Reverb G2 myself. Oculus CV1 before, but I bought that just to have a cheap-ish headset at first in case I turned out to suffer from VR sickness. 

Yeah, it's advised to try before buy just to see how you react to VR, how do you like pixelated view and shimmering or the ASW/reprojection effects. If you and your PC is ready depends mostly on expectations.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 12/24/2021 at 11:23 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I have used a Rift CV1 for years but decided to move away from Oculus for that very same reason: with their new headset you basically give Facebook permission to record everything you say and film everything you have in your room. No thanks! I'm happy with my HP Reverb G2, but as others stated, you need a beast of a PC if you want a good experience in VR.The Oculus software is far better than Windows Mixed Reality, but the privacy issues are a dealbreaker.

I am using CV1 since 2 years, and I will never go back flying on a normal screen, not even when using Track IR. VR is a different world, totally!

BTW: I have configured windows firewall to completely block incoming & outgoing traffic for the oculus dash application and its related helper applications (a few have to be blocked). So, no data is transfered anywhere (hopefully). But I agree, FB is p.i.t.a. squared when it comes to privacy.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

i have a rift touch, cv1 i think. No facebook, and it works just fine.

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic,