Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

It looks like - at least on this carrier - they taxied under their own power.

21:20 shows that, again at least on this carrier, they had steering assist via towbar to catapult.

It's really disconcerting to see flight deck personnel run underneath moving aircraft.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Citizen said:

It looks like - at least on this carrier - they taxied under their own power.

21:20 shows that, again at least on this carrier, they had steering assist via towbar to catapult.

It's really disconcerting to see flight deck personnel run underneath moving aircraft.

You should see what else we did up their at night 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gianky said:

AFAIK, it should operate only in X band. As a matter of fact, on a 1977 NATOPS for the A-4E/F it's stated that the A-4 can operate only the X-band, so the mod should be correct this way.

Ok, thanks !

hey where's that mod steering brake control set up? I seen it somewhere?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 8/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, Captain Orso said:

Pilots didn't get to pick and choose what they wanted to do on the deck. The deck officer decided how things were run. 

If you have evidence of A-4's being pulled around the deck by tractors, from parking to cat, and from landing zone to parking, I'm sure we'd all love to see it. Never too old to learn something new.

not a tractor but there are lots of pics from vietnam era using towbars. there are at least two on this site.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/a-4-skyhawk.html

other cool photos too.

• Like 3

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

A-4E-C and DCS OpenBeta 2.9 Update

Good afternoon, A-4E-C pilots. If you're updating to DCS 2.9, be advised the A-4E-C's radios are not compatible with this update, and using their functions will probably result in the client crashing. This can include using the communication radio, VOIP radios, TACAN and MCL (ILS) systems. We'll be working on a fix to issue along with some other changes as soon as it is feasible to do so, so hang tight and have patience.

The issue is on the tracker here: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/issues/614

Edited by plusnine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 12

Back to the deck handling qualities of this A-4C MOD, it is true that the Navy had a "J" bar available to help maneuver the Scooter around when necessary whether they used it or not, but the bottom line here is that the brake effectiveness in the model is not sufficient to allow a normally competent sim pilot to maneuver the Scooter where he wants it to go while on the flight deck with a nominal wind of around 30+ knots blowing over it. This is one of the more annoying aspects of the Scooter that makes me not fly it as much as I'd like to. Otherwise, for the most part, it is a lot of fun to fly!

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

22 hours ago, UN9249 said:

btw, did you notice AI can't take off from field? it runs out of runway

Yes, they do crash, but not all the time.  It is weird - don't know what happened.  If I have a 4 plane flight leave a carrier, usually lose one of them to crashing into the sea.  Another thing is "Bingo fuel, ejecting".  I don't think it is the A-4, but the AI for DCS.  It does strange things sometimes.

• Like 1

2.9 installed and the Skyhawk no longer works I crash to desktop.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

15 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

2.9 installed and the Skyhawk no longer works I crash to desktop.

There is an updated beta version of this mod on github:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro