RTX 4090 benchmarks! if anyone finds any, please post here!

bought gigabyte 4090 gaming OC at microcenter

i just tried DCS

with samsung Odyssey.. wow.. 90 fps all the way thru with visibility range to ultra, and 2x MSAA. (note, i was using 2080ti, and most of the time it was 50 fps)

it went down to 70 with 4x MSAA on 4090

but wow.. so smooth on the odyssey headset.. and it was a joy to have things on high and ultra..seeing things nice

going to try out aero later

my 4090 purchase experience.

i was shooting for gigabyte OC or zotac OC.

waiting on the line to get in the store, a few said they were going for ASUS or MSI

i went for gigabyte because i have bought in past with no problem but bummed that there is no more EVGA.

drove home and start to question if i brought the right brand

later on i looked up clocks and saw that MSI OC had the higher (excluding the ridiculously priced ASUS)

and then i was eating myself up for not getting MSI,

to find out they MSI gaming trio X has a power connecter that splits into three...

(gigabyte gaming OC has a 4 way split PSU connector)

now i am glad i bought the Gigabyte model....

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

7 hours ago, FR4GGL3 said:

Well, a good point. I know quite a few people that spend insane money for Bags an flip-flops. Just because they want to.

And a 4090 is just that: nVidia has kicked something insane powerfull that you might just want. And if you want it, then you won't ask for the price. This will work, I'll promise you. It worked for Apple, it worked for Tesla and it will work for nVidia.

I passed on Apple, I passed on Tesla and will pass on nVidia this time around.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

a reddit user question my post.. will share details of my system

cpu amd 5800x3d

64gb ram

using m.2 ssd

gigabyte gaming OC 4090.

diy ah64 collective and diy tedac

*** note ** i dont bother to cover the case because of the stupid 4 way split power connector. it seems delicate

Screenshot_20221012-173739_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-173744_Gallery.jpg

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hannibal said:

i just tried DCS

with samsung Odyssey.. wow.. 90 fps all the way thru with visibility range to ultra, and 2x MSAA. (note, i was using 2080ti, and most of the time it was 50 fps)

but wow.. so smooth on the odyssey headset.. and it was a joy to have things on high and ultra..seeing things nice

waiting on the line to get in the store, a few said they were going for ASUS or MSI

i went for gigabyte because i have bought in past with no problem but bummed that there is no more EVGA.

later on i looked up clocks and saw that MSI OC had the higher (excluding the ridiculously priced ASUS)

to find out they MSI gaming trio X has a power connecter that splits into three...

Hi,

I have bought 4090 asus. You have mentioned Aero varjo - I have big issue with my varjo on 4090 - I see a lot of ghosting when moving my head in all VR applications. When I swap back ot the 3090 the problem is gone. Have you already tested the Aero with 4090? 

Regarding FPS I had 40-45 fps with full details and 2xMSAA with my aero and 4090 is now peaking 80FPS - it is like 80-100% faster (Intel 12900 overclocked to 5.4 6 cores - all efficient cores disabled) 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, festr said:

Hi,

I have bought 4090 asus. You have mentioned Aero varjo - I have big issue with my varjo on 4090 - I see a lot of ghosting when moving my head in all VR applications. When I swap back ot the 3090 the problem is gone. Have you already tested the Aero with 4090? 

Regarding FPS I had 40-45 fps with full details and 2xMSAA with my aero and 4090 is now peaking 80FPS - it is like 80-100% faster (Intel 12900 overclocked to 5.4 6 cores - all efficient cores disabled) 

not yet. going to try later.. and see how aero looks.

i was flying multiplayer just now. hoggit server, in hangar with buddy in F14, i was getting 25-45fps, once in the air, im getting 70-90 where on 2080ti, i was getting 50-70.

probably objects and stuff.. maybe a cpu limitation?

too bad i cant overclock 5800x3d

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1

Wow I am surprised no one waited for AMD with RNDA3 GPU's coming out in the next month. 4090 seems a great card for 4k high refresh gaming though for the price of an entire new gaming rig (minimum price here in Australia selling for is over 3k and up t 5k for watercooled ones). Given I game at 1440p this card is just ridiculous over the top overpriced not to mention oversized and overweight. But it is super fast and isn't the ridiculous power hog that it had been wrongly speculated. Each to their own but for me it's a big pass. Waiting for Nvidia 4080 (proper variant, not the 4070 in disguise) and AMD's RDNA3 GPU's before I consider pulling the pin.  

• Like 2

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

16 minutes ago, Konovalov said:

Wow I am surprised no one waited for AMD with RNDA3 GPU's coming out in the next month. 4090 seems a great card for 4k high refresh gaming though for the price of an entire new gaming rig (minimum price here in Australia selling for is over 3k and up t 5k for watercooled ones). Given I game at 1440p this card is just ridiculous over the top overpriced not to mention oversized and overweight. But it is super fast and isn't the ridiculous power hog that it had been wrongly speculated. Each to their own but for me it's a big pass. Waiting for Nvidia 4080 (proper variant, not the 4070 in disguise) and AMD's RDNA3 GPU's before I consider pulling the pin.  

For TrackIR style flying or flying with a middle to low end VR headset you have a point.  However with the Varjo Aero there is no such thing as too much GPU atm.

• Like 2

hopefully we will see multi threating enhancements and ability for foveated rendering for aero.

but after seeing someone elses bench for msfs2020 on 4090.. at max 4k, it was  still chugging at  30 fps, the msfs2020 ppl are waiting for dlss3 for their sim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konovalov said:

yeah same here. and tbh this might be the first gen where i dont go team green

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hannibal said:

i just tried DCS

Any chance you could post a shot of the screen settings page from DCS that you used when you got 90 fps please?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiwispirits said:

Any chance you could post a shot of the screen settings page from DCS that you used when you got 90 fps please?

Still tweaking. In multiplayer it varied from 25-90..

I was in hoggit server, started in hangar with f14 as rio with buddy.. it ran 25 fps and trickled to 45, but start to go back to 70 one in took off

Mind u, visibility was high and clouds on ultra.

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, hannibal said:

Still tweaking. In multiplayer it varied from 25-90..

I was in hoggit server, started in hangar with f14 as rio with buddy.. it ran 25 fps and trickled to 45, but start to go back to 70 one in took off

Mind u, visibility was high and clouds on ultra.

Hannibal can you please post the results that anyone can replicate/compare?

Best would be single player instant mission, sitting on runway in cockpit + in cockpit after start, with all settings (screenshot) + res of your VR headset.

There is so many factors including mission scripting on server and your VR setup + PC that it is hard to get the baseline by comparing it to "your previous GPU".

Edited by Rosly
  • Like 1

Hmm, not very impressed but expected it. DCS just don't get much better with throwing money on it.

Was close to get a 4090 but sanity kicked in the right minute. Will wait for AMD and or 4080ti and decide then what to do. Since I'm on a AMD 5900x, I will most probably have to pay a heap of cash to go next Gen. 

Not sure really if it's worth it, time will tell. 

On 10/11/2022 at 6:02 PM, EightyDuce said:

It may finally be the card to make VR a solid experience, very interested in DCS performance numbers. Seeing that's it seems to be 50-65% faster than 3090 Ti on average I would expect similar results in DCS. Though the price is... Ooooof. Hopefully 4080 16Gb or 7900XT come in with good performance at a better price. 

Very interested as well. I only fly on VR. Having asked for my parts guy for a 4090, I have no clue when they might get these, but when its in use, I will be sure to tell how it compares with 3090.

I don't have time to play until sat evening.

I think, my speculation..as long as u have 3090, 3090ti, 4090.. they are about the perf about the same. (I never had 24GB vram card until now) Seem like dcs just likes VRAM. 

Leak from summer is saying 4090ti will have 48GB vram🤯

• Like 1

I am thinking if you are seeing similar performance from 3090 thru 4090 then there must be some bottlenecking, maybe CPU then.

It’s important to have a balanced system GPU, CPU, RAM to maximize performance.

The new question is how much CPU do you need for a RTX-4090 to become the bottleneck.

I don’t want to spend that much on a expensive GPU and have the CPU slow it down, better to push the GPU to its limits.

Edited by Rubber Biscuit

8 minutes ago, Rubber Biscuit said:

I am thinking if you are seeing similar performance from 3090 thru 4090 then there must be some bottlenecking, maybe CPU then.

The new question is how much CPU do you need for a RTX-4090 to become the bottleneck.

I don’t want to spend that much on a expensive GPU and have the CPU slow it down, better to push the GPU to its limits.

I'm not seeing..I'm just guessing. I don't have a 3000 series to confirm..just going by what I saw in old YouTube vids about 3090s and dcs.

For cpu, Going to see where 7000 x3d series go in future

Edited by hannibal

1 hour ago, Rubber Biscuit said:

This is why I'm not going to bother hooking up the 4090 til my 13900k CPU arrives in the mail. My i9-9900k is not going to push her all the way

On 10/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, hannibal said:

i just tried DCS

They're all within a couple fps of each other. Just get the one that has what you want. Frankly you can't go wrong with any of them. 

19 hours ago, hannibal said:

i was flying multiplayer just now. hoggit server, in hangar with buddy in F14, i was getting 25-45fps, once in the air, im getting 70-90 where on 2080ti, i was getting 50-70.

New drivers will probably help. Were you getting higher FPS with the same settings on the 2080ti? You make it sound like you were which isn't possible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hannibal said:

Thats weird the 2080ti performed better for you? Your gpu temp ok right? Like other person said is the driver a culprit?

1 hour ago, sandboxcode said:

This is why I'm not going to bother hooking up the 4090 til my 13900k CPU arrives in the mail. My i9-9900k is not going to push her all the way

My 3080ti and my i9-9900KF doing a very good job when playing on screen. No problem at 4K. This shows me that my CPU is suitable and not a bottleneck.

In VR it´s different. The GPU quickly reaches its limit! In my case, an RTX 4090 could provide 50% to 80 % more GPU performance in VR. This could make a big difference.

I think the 4090 is only interesting for DCS VR gamers (hope on eyecandy 😉). For gamers, who gamble DCS on the screen, an RTX from the 3000 series should actually be sufficient.

Edited by Air Joker
  • Like 1

Lurchi1.pngAH-64D Apache***A10 Tank Killer***F-14 Tomcat***F-16 Viper***F/A-18C Hornet***UH-1H Huey***Mi-24P Hind***P-51D Mustang***Mosquito FB Mk.VI***BF109 K4 Kurfürst***Supercarrier***WW2 Assets Pack***Maps of Caucasus / Marianas / Syria / Gulf / Nevada / Channel / Normandy 2.0 / South Atlantic / Sinai***
Intel Core i9-13900KF***Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC***64GB RAM***Pimax Crystal***WinWing Super-Libra mit F-16Ex+TM Warthog Throttle+TM TPR Rudder/Pedals****

image.png

I don't see a uplift in FPS in that guys findings, exept for high SS settings.

I am not on the hunt for more FPS, but basically want it smnooth during the whole spectrum of gameplay. My setting (3080TI and 5900x) starts to suck in MP and a busy boat for example. In SP I guess I could benifit from smaler farmetimes while FPS is no issue.

There is no way arounde a optimization of the DCS core if you ask me 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2.jpg

1.jpg

(Seen on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DigitalCombatSimulator/permalink/5337234859735821/)

Edited by Air Joker

Lurchi1.pngAH-64D Apache***A10 Tank Killer***F-14 Tomcat***F-16 Viper***F/A-18C Hornet***UH-1H Huey***Mi-24P Hind***P-51D Mustang***Mosquito FB Mk.VI***BF109 K4 Kurfürst***Supercarrier***WW2 Assets Pack***Maps of Caucasus / Marianas / Syria / Gulf / Nevada / Channel / Normandy 2.0 / South Atlantic / Sinai***
Intel Core i9-13900KF***Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC***64GB RAM***Pimax Crystal***WinWing Super-Libra mit F-16Ex+TM Warthog Throttle+TM TPR Rudder/Pedals****