2.8 update has 20 % fps loss on pimax8kx and 15 fps loss on Varjo Aero (RTX 4090)

darkman222

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Could be I suppose anything is possible...

its stuff like this makes me wish i worked in deterministic industry and not in computing! 

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 12/2/2022 at 4:54 AM, Brainfreeze said:

@dburne, to be sure...The AA nvidia setting u refer to is Antialiasing-mode then Antialiasing- Setting    right?  not sure what the MFAA is about 🙄

FWIW I tried using F16 instant action cold and dark ... opens with a long grass field which test the AA nicely.   With Nvidia forced at 8x ... nothing obvious happening and lots of shimmering.  With Nvidia off and DCS at 8x ... no shimering at all anymore.    Different for u??

Which map? I loaded up the Persian Gulf and it was mainly concrete ahead of me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 12/2/2022 at 4:54 AM, Brainfreeze said:

@dburne, to be sure...The AA nvidia setting u refer to is Antialiasing-mode then Antialiasing- Setting    right?  not sure what the MFAA is about 🙄

FWIW I tried using F16 instant action cold and dark ... opens with a long grass field which test the AA nicely.   With Nvidia forced at 8x ... nothing obvious happening and lots of shimmering.  With Nvidia off and DCS at 8x ... no shimering at all anymore.    Different for u??

Ok so I loaded up the Caucasus Instant Action cold and dark, I assume that is likely what you are referring to. Looked pretty darn good to me, no shimmering closer to the plane, way off in distance a small amount but not enough to really bother me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Antialiasing in NVCP does not work in DCS VR. Evidence... see below.

First image:  MSAA x2, NCVP AA application controlled, NVCP FXAA OFF as a baseline. Notice the HUD frame and the tops of hills.

Second image:  MSAA OFF, NVCP AA application controlled, NVCP FXAA OFF - noticed jagged edges of HUD frame and tops of hills.

Third image: MSAA OFF, NVCP AA Override Application, NVCP AA x8, NVCP FXAA OFF. No change compared to second image.

Fourth image: MSAA OFF, NVCP AA Override Application, NVCP AA x8, NVCP FXAA ON. No change compared to second image.

Tested with NVidia 4090 with HP Reverb G2 headset at native resolution and OpenXR. Screenshots taken from OpenXR Toolkit using screenshot facility.

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170357_L_MSAA_x2_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170002_L_MSAA_OFF_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170908_L_MSAA_OFF_NVCP_ OVERRIDE_X8_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_171308_L_MSAA_OFF_NVCP_ OVERRIDE_X8_FXAA_ON_CROPPED_100.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 4:18 AM, dburne said:

That is correct.

Mode = Override any application settings.  Setting = 2X.

Could be I suppose anything is possible although I believe Supmua commented he did not see a difference either and he has an Aero. I was surprised  to see the results after trying it just for the heck of it but I am sure taking advantage of it and enjoying it for now.

I've seen similar settings in AMD Adrenaline control panel. Most of the same settings note that they only apply to DirectX 9.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, slughead said:

First image:  MSAA x2, NCVP AA application controlled, NVCP FXAA OFF as a baseline. Notice the HUD frame and the tops of hills.

Second image:  MSAA OFF, NVCP AA application controlled, NVCP FXAA OFF - noticed jagged edges of HUD frame and tops of hills.

Third image: MSAA OFF, NVCP AA Override Application, NVCP AA x8, NVCP FXAA OFF. No change compared to second image.

Fourth image: MSAA OFF, NVCP AA Override Application, NVCP AA x8, NVCP FXAA ON. No change compared to second image.

Tested with NVidia 4090 with HP Reverb G2 headset at native resolution and OpenXR. Screenshots taken from OpenXR Toolkit using screenshot facility.

Don't say that too loud my computer might hear you... :renske:

Not that it matters but I do not run at any of those settings above, I already posted earlier how I was running mine. No skin off my bones gang, believe what you wish and run the game as you wish and I will do the same. In any event have a great day and enjoy I sure am! I would also note that I do not run Open XR for DCS, not that that matters either. I use Steam VR with my Aero for DCS. Never really found Open XR all that appealing with DCS - plus having to hack it in. Been a while though I may give another try at some point. Currently having fun not tweaking.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, slughead said:

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170357_L_MSAA_x2_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170002_L_MSAA_OFF_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_170908_L_MSAA_OFF_NVCP_ OVERRIDE_X8_CROPPED_100.jpg

OpenComposite_DCS_20221203_171308_L_MSAA_OFF_NVCP_ OVERRIDE_X8_FXAA_ON_CROPPED_100.jpg

Hello,

Could you try MSAA x2 or + NVCP "Enhance the application settings" + NVCP FXAA ?

( https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/Tips_for_Setting_Antialiasing.htm )

Thanks

5 minutes ago, fab.13 said:

Hello,

Could you try MSAA x2 or + NVCP "Enhance the application settings" + NVCP FXAA ?

( https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/Tips_for_Setting_Antialiasing.htm )

Thanks

Could you try it? Best to do so in a new thread dedicated to this as this topic is veering well off course from the original topic title.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, slughead said:

Could you try it? Best to do so in a new thread dedicated to this as this topic is veering well off course from the original topic title.

Sure, actually I cannot retrieve an old thread about using FXAA in VR ( it worked .. ), should be better to retrieve this old thread instead to create another.

• 4 months later...

Today with DCS 2.8.5.40170 Open Beta - 18.05.2023 I made a comparsion between versions.

Same mission, just a single player F16 over Batumi.

To sum it up

2.7 : CPU 7.8 ms , GPU 8.1 ms

2.8.5 with Multithreading: CPU 4.6 ms , GPU 7.5 ms

Good job ED! It was woth the wait.

See the full test in the screenshot below with system specs. Running a Varjo Aero @ very high setting 37 PPD

Lets call the issue resolved 😉

image.png

image.png

Edited by darkman222