2.8 update has 20 % fps loss on pimax8kx and 15 fps loss on Varjo Aero (RTX 4090)

darkman222

4 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Latest driver.  Just did around 45 min of Apache flying, pretty much one of the most taxing aircrafts right now and it's pretty smooth with framelock at 45.  It must be some background process causing your stuttering.  I'm also running Asus Tweak III in the background since I overclock the heck out of my 4090, no issue.

Agreed, but I run very little. And to the best of my knowledge, nothing new has crept in, but perhaps it has.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, zildac said:

Agreed, but I run very little. And to the best of my knowledge, nothing new has crept in, but perhaps it has.

Switch to OpenVR and run fpsVR, check CPU and GPU FT graphs see which is causing the stuttering?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

10 hours ago, Supmua said:

Switch to OpenVR and run fpsVR, check CPU and GPU FT graphs see which is causing the stuttering?

May try that. There is no FPS drop noticeable in the OXRTK FPS counter, but if you look at the terrain, you can see a slight stutter every few seconds. It's still smooth to fly and hardly noticeable, but the fact it wasn't there before irks me 🙂

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Just in case it's relevant, since 2.8 I'm also noticing a slight stutter every few seconds when looking down at the terrain, even though I'm keeping a steady 72fps. And I'm running standard Oculus software with a Quest 2 and an AMD 6900Xt card. So maybe it's not an Nvidia driver or OXRTK issue?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Just to update, it's present even when using SVR and no spikes in cpu or gpu frametimes. It's very subtle and only noticeable if looking directly at the terrain. Can also be seen looking at the taxiway when taxiing.

12 minutes ago, dureiken said:

Hi

is that new in 2.8 ? I'm still in 2.7 and right ctrl + pause only show me with classical format, no graph

thanks

the graph is only in 2.8

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok so I made the update ...

Just HIGH settings for 2.7 and 2.8.

I also deleted fxo and metashaders after patch and here are my results with @speed-of-heat track 2.8 with openXR :

image.png

as some others people, around 10% of loss in term of FPS, about 1.5ms of GPU time

Made all tests twice to be sure.

edit : and I am under WIN11 but I made the little .bat to remove perf logs

What are your final graphics settings with 2.8 ? no more shadows ? thanks

Edited by dureiken
  • Like 2

Yep same as normal sans terrain shadows.

I had some success with earlier drivers:

but others have been unable to replicate it.

I think it might because I have been fiddling with things in profile inspector:

let me know how it goes.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

32 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

but others have been unable to replicate it.

I haven't had a chance to clean out with DDU and retest yet, been struck down with flu for the last couple three days so not even booted the computer for anything meaningful.

Will hopefully be able to corroborate in the very near future 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I haven't had a chance to clean out with DDU and retest yet, been struck down with flu for the last couple three days so not even booted the computer for anything meaningful.

Will hopefully be able to corroborate in the very near future 🙂

christ don't worry about that m8, just get well 

1 hour ago, dureiken said:

Dcs settings

pretty much as per my 3090 settings here  clouds on standard, water on medium , terrain shadows off are the variations

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dureiken said:

Ok so I made the update ...

Just HIGH settings for 2.7 and 2.8.

I also deleted fxo and metashaders after patch and here are my results with @speed-of-heat track 2.8 with openXR :

image.png

as some others people, around 10% of loss in term of FPS, about 1.5ms of GPU time

Made all tests twice to be sure.

edit : and I am under WIN11 but I made the little .bat to remove perf logs

What are your final graphics settings with 2.8 ? no more shadows ? thanks

Did you compare OpenXR fps with SteamVR fps ? I had lower fps with OpenXR...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 11/19/2022 at 1:31 PM, Supmua said:

I think the fps drop depends on which performance bracket you were originally on.  For people using motion smoothing or fps lock, if you already have good fps cushion, 2ms of GPU frametime drop will not affect the overall fps as fps lock happens.  But if you were right at the edge say 46-47 fps, a drop into high 30s or low 40s can hurt, and the same goes for people who were in the 30s before (for 90Hz headsets).  For the people who play mostly in CPU bound scenarios (crowded MP servers), a slight increase in GPU frametime will not result in fps drop either because CPU is already taking a bigger hit.

However, if you do a direct measurement of the frametimes for both CPU and GPU, you will see a slight GPU frametime increase with the new beta.

Yes, and if one is right on the edge and flying helicopters at low level on popular MP servers all the time the drop to a frame rate in the 20's hurts even more.  So is not playable.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

So, if anyone is interested I finally found the issue to my micro stutters. I was using OXRTK to lock to 45FPS, and I was doing this before my 4090 and installation of the VB beta to alleviate the 4090 stutters. This setup now causes the micro stutters on my system. If I use VB to lock to 45FPS and enable Vsync in VB, they are gone!

• Like 1

In 2.8 with my Aero flying the Hornet in Persian Gulf Map off the supercarrier - I find I get lower fps now since 2.8 flying over water with no AI or buildings around, than I do even during start up , taxi, and launch off the supercarrier. This is just backwards compared to how it was prior to 2.8 for me. I always had lower fps during the carrier startup and launch sequence versus after takeoff flying over only the water. Very strange. And yes I have done a Repair(long) as well as deleting fxo and metashaders2 files.

I am around 50 fps during startup and launch, and low to mid 40's flying over just water. Once I get up to around 20k ft it goes back up to around 50's to low 50's. Again all this over water.

Now I was sidelined for about 7 weeks due to spinal surgery, resumed flying a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, dburne said:

In 2.8 with my Aero flying the Hornet in Persian Gulf Map off the supercarrier - I find I get lower fps now since 2.8 flying over water with no AI or buildings around, than I do even during start up , taxi, and launch off the supercarrier. This is just backwards compared to how it was prior to 2.8 for me. I always had lower fps during the carrier startup and launch sequence versus after takeoff flying over only the water. Very strange. And yes I have done a Repair(long) as well as deleting fxo and metashaders2 files.

I am around 50 fps during startup and launch, and low to mid 40's flying over just water. Once I get up to around 20k ft it goes back up to around 50's to low 50's. Again all this over water.

Now I was sidelined for about 7 weeks due to spinal surgery, resumed flying a couple of weeks ago.

GPU FT increases a bit with the 2.8 beta, around 1.5-2ms depending on complexity of your graphic settings or a particular mission.  You can either reduce resolution or some graphic settings to regain the performance.  Alternatively, adding an rtx 4090 will drop your GPU FT by 5-9ms.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

31 minutes ago, Supmua said:

GPU FT increases a bit with the 2.8 beta, around 1.5-2ms depending on complexity of your graphic settings or a particular mission.  You can either reduce resolution or some graphic settings to regain the performance.  Alternatively, adding an rtx 4090 will drop your GPU FT by 5-9ms.

I actually tried something this morning that amazed me. I turned MSAA off in DCS. I enabled AA in Nvidia Control Panel and set it to "override the application". I improved my frame time by about 5ms just making this change, and it looks fantastic. 

As far as 4090 - naw going to hold off for now. Will probably do a new build around this time next year so will just wait till then. Not sure I would benefit that much with me still running a 9900k.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|