DCS newbie : some questions

cmbaviator

Hello,

I've started DCS 3 months ago and new to military aircraft ( Flown on Xplane , FSX, P3D, MSFS for the last 10 years).

However i've never flown a helicopter and as i mainly fly on tempest server, i'd like to do some A/G and that's why i'm interested in the Apache but I fear that it might be overwhelming for a newbie espcially rearding thr avionics and also flying as it's quirte diffèrent to flying a fixed wing aircraft.

Besides i currently have the Thrustmaster warthog quadrant and Rhino X56 stick, is that okay to fly the AH64 ? 

Is there some guide/ tutorial ? It seems that there is currently no Chuck Guide for the AH64

thanks 

PS:

Is there a fictional skin based on the French "Tigre Helicopter" ?

Edited by cmbaviator

You want pedals, rest of your setup is fine.

If you have never flown helicopters, I would suggest you buy Huey first and learn on it (or you can use 2 weeks free trial option). Learn how to fly it before you go to combat. If you need to think what to do next, you won't have spare mental capacity for battle.

While Apache systems look overwhelming, they can be learned. Don't try to learn everything at once. Read on one section, go into hellicopter and practice ony that. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, admiki said:

You want pedals, rest of your setup is fine.

If you have never flown helicopters, I would suggest you buy Huey first and learn on it (or you can use 2 weeks free trial option). Learn how to fly it before you go to combat. If you need to think what to do next, you won't have spare mental capacity for battle.

While Apache systems look overwhelming, they can be learned. Don't try to learn everything at once. Read on one section, go into hellicopter and practice ony that. Rinse and repeat.

I forgot to mention that i have rudder pedals of course :). i'd would stck to the gazelle but as the 64 is on sale, i wanted to purchase it before the end of sale whuch is tommorow i guess. I don't know when the Apache will on sale again

I would avoid the Gazelle as your "learning" helo, as it has some unusual flight characteristics compared to the other helos in DCS.  One of them being the rotor spins in the opposite direction from the other helos in DCS, so you will learn to apply right pedal when adding torque with the collective, vs needing left pedal on the other helos.  It may not be a huge deal, but it is something to consider.  It also has a reputation for being quite a handful, with very sensitive controls.

Edit: Unless, of course, if your goal is to eventually fly the Gazelle, in which case you should learn on that.

Edited by Floyd1212
  • Like 3

+1 for staying away from the Gazelle as your first helicopter. Honestly, if you are most interested in the Apache, then just get the Apache and start learning on it. Just be aware that the flight model is not yet finished. It will probably become more stable & predictable (=easier) with future updates. The Huey sure is a cool helicopter but it's definitely not necessary to master the Huey before you can have fun in the Apache. Besides, I think the Apache Flight Model is currently not broken enough for you to notice the subtle problems while you are still learning the basics of flying a helicopter sim.

• Like 2

You are not new to flight sims, I think you'll be ok with the Apache. Not the easiest to learn but it's worthwhile. Apache was my first helo, I managed with a warthog hotas. I am sure you can too. But it will take some effort. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

An analogy might be knowing how to drive a car, and wanting to learn to ride a motorcycle.

The Huey is like learning on a Vespa.  Simple and forgiving.

The Apache is like learning on a sport bike.  Same concepts, but more agile and powerful.

The Gazelle is like learning on a lighter-weight sports bike, but the throttle and brake are swapped to the opposite sides on the handlebars.

The Blackshark is like learning on one of those 3-wheeled Can-Am trikes.  It's not a real motorcycle. 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Floyd1212 said:

An analogy might be ...

Loved your analogy 👍

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Get Apache Learn Apache.  From real life Gazelle 'sensitive', Huey 'forgiving'.

If you want to 'play' with another Helo go Blackshark - contrarotating Main Rotors so no real issues over pedals, but you do learn the basics of hovering, low flight, transitioning into and out of the hover, left and right sideslip manoeuvres etc. 

Still learning the AH - and definitely small steps needed. Do something, so you do it well, then it becomes 2nd nature, then move on, but keep the repetition up. Worst case is you divert your focus onto one platform to learn another - then it becomes muddied, and you are constantly comparing the differences.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

12 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

Hello,

I've started DCS 3 months ago and new to military aircraft ( Flown on Xplane , FSX, P3D, MSFS for the last 10 years).

However i've never flown a helicopter and as i mainly fly on tempest server, i'd like to do some A/G and that's why i'm interested in the Apache but I fear that it might be overwhelming for a newbie espcially rearding thr avionics and also flying as it's quirte diffèrent to flying a fixed wing aircraft.

Besides i currently have the Thrustmaster warthog quadrant and Rhino X56 stick, is that okay to fly the AH64 ? 

Is there some guide/ tutorial ? It seems that there is currently no Chuck Guide for the AH64

thanks 

PS:

Welcome to DCS! 🙂

Helo's are definitely a new challenge compared to fixed wings, there's no doubt about that. But it's extremely satisfying to be able to conquer and master the flight (let alone to employ weapons). 

For me, I find the helicopters a little like Air to Air refueling. Challenging at first, but rewarding after being persistent. Start with low expectations, lots of patience, and be kind to yourself and you'll get there. (Although I found learning to fly helo's easier than AAR 😉 )

As a warning though - Helo's were what got me into VR. And the Huey in VR is the most incredible experience. Even though I can do more in missions and MP with Apache - the UH1 in VR is the most pleasant simulated flying experience I've ever had!)

However - I have always enjoy the flying first, and weapons system secondary.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2022 at 7:52 AM, cmbaviator said:

I forgot to mention that i have rudder pedals of course :). i'd would stck to the gazelle but as the 64 is on sale, i wanted to purchase it before the end of sale whuch is tommorow i guess. I don't know when the Apache will on sale again

The Apache isn't on sale, that is its early access price, and I believe it will be that price until it hits the stable version of DCS. 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:56 PM, Dangerzone said:

However - I have always enjoy the flying first, and weapons system secondary.

This ,  while I have figured out, kind of, the weapons I mostly just take off, fly around, and land on something I find challegeing.....over and over and over again.

I don't know why but like you said it is rewarding when you can do it right and your first landing on the deck of a ship is both scary and exhilarting. 

Some day I may start blowing sh%t up again but right now it take off and land time! 🙂 

Welcome to DCS! What took you so long?

Edited by pii
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:36 AM, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

You are not new to flight sims, I think you'll be ok with the Apache. Not the easiest to learn but it's worthwhile. Apache was my first helo, I managed with a warthog hotas. I am sure you can too. But it will take some effort. 

Also make sure you have good controllers like good rudder pedals and good stick. when I started with the 64d I couldn't fly it a lick but I removed my pedals and warthog springs and it was night and day.

I ended up buying a new Virpil base for my warthog grip and I'm looking for rudder pedals to replace my Thrustmaster pedals , but they will do for now. 

You don't need these to get started but you may want to start looking into removing springs it really really makes a difference.

4 hours ago, pii said:

This ,  while I have figured out, kind of, the weapons I mostly just take off, fly around, and land on something I find challegeing.....over and over and over again.

I don't know why but like you said it is rewarding when you can do it right and your first landing on the deck of a ship is both scary and exhilarting. 

Some day I may start blowing sh%t up again but right now it take off and land time! 🙂 

Welcome to DCS! What took you so long?

You want real chalenge? Put two bags of gas on one side only and land on ship. You will be surprised how many curses you know.

2 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

why take off the spring ?

I wasn't into military before, more into commerical airplane

Some peeps like removing the spring in helis because of how trimming the tail rotor works, it tends to remain in a position for a while depending on your flight profile, for example at a hover with the Apache or Huey expect to hold left pedal in, while the mi8 and mi24 will be right pedal, in cruise it’ll be less, it’s so you don’t have to fight the spring tension the entire time. I haven’t removed mine but they are set pretty soft. Do what you’re comfortable with and try different things out to find out what works for you. 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, cmbaviator said:

Hello,

thanks 

PS:

A force feedback stick would be ideal for helo's, but your setup is fine (the rhino is a twisty stick? u need an axis for rudder with helo's). I know the apache looks awesome and has a great model, but if you don't own a helicopter then get the ka-50. she is way easier to fly and also easier to learn how the trim works in dcs (its not ideal). i found the apache not so enjoyable to fly, george as a cp is a disaster, the training missions are terrible and the apache needs a lot of work. It's to early to enjoy the apache in my opnion. i have had my fair share of x52 sticks and the all seem to break or get weird issues. best budget setup for dcs is the t1600 m package (that includes the rudders)

4 ore fa, DoctorVixen ha scritto:

t1600 m package (that includes the rudders)

I had several issue with TWCS throttle bundled with joystick and pedals. I'd aim something less "plastic-ish". I bought a new one and same problems showed up. Ask a refund to Mr. Amazon and bought a winwing. Expensive, but worth it!

"If you low&slow you're BBQing, if you hot&fast you're grilling, if you low&fast you're flying an Apache"