Feedback Thread AJS-37 Viggen Patch, Dec 16th 2022

IronMike

Dear all,

we are happy to deliver a substantial patch for the Viggen to you before the Holidays. The biggest and most noteworthy addition are ofc the new PBR textures, which come with a simplified and revamped paint kit as well, including all newest additions and refinements. Dynamic tactical tail numbers can now be triggered. And of course: wing vapour and LERX effects.

Another big change is the overhaul of the AGM-65, which now uses the standard seeker and includes many fixes and changes to make Mavericks great again. A launch tone detection for the RWR has been added, which now will detect launch radiation patterns and help your defensive game.

There are many more fixes included, like a fix for the flight model damage states desyncing with visuals, plenty of visual fixes and more, which is best taken from the changelog below.

Last, but not least, we would like to mention a significant overhaul of the FM performance, mainly drag at high altitudes and mach numbers, full afterburner thrust at high mach number and the overall acceleration at high altitudes.

We hope you all enjoy the changes, and as always, we would like to thank you for your kind patience and great feedback!

The Heatblur Team

DCS AJS-37 Viggen by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Standard AGM-65 Maverick seeker implemented
    • Able to lock buildings and map structures. 
    • Fixed AGM-65’s being unusable after jettison then Re-Arm.
    • Display polarity is now correctly calculated. 
    • Default EP-13 sight brightness and contrast adjusted for better visibility
    • Default EP-13 brightness at night or dusk adjusted to avoid melting eyes.
  • NEW: Added “launch” tone detection in RWR: RWR will now detect launch radiation patterns if defined for a given system
  • NEW: Added native PBR textures for almost all exterior textures, improving fidelity and detail and enabling more advanced livery creation.
  • NEW: Simplified and revamped paint kit with newest additions and refinements
  • NEW: Added dynamic tail tactical numbers, can be triggered by setting Argument 850 to 1.0
  • NEW: Added overwing vapour and LERX effects.

• Adjusted FM performance, chiefly:
    • Adjusted drag at high mach numbers (>~1.2) and altitudes.
    • Full afterburner thrust at high Mach numbers (>~1.2) and altitudes adjusted
    • Overall acceleration slower at high altitudes

• Corrected afterburner fuel consumption
  • Fixed instances of flight model damage states desyncing with visuals.
  • Default standby altimeter now set to 1013
  • Fixed Radar elevation not being 0 degrees relative to horizon in Terrain Avoidance mode.
  • Fixed Standby KURS indicator being frozen at 180 degrees
  • Changed RB24 guidance time to 0.5s from 2s.
  • Increased RB24 proximity fuse to 9m per SwAF documentation
  • Fixed target points being labelled as navigation points when added on the F10 map.
  • Fixed the afterburner effect clipping and becoming oversized when the engine was stalling.
  • Changed colours for LYSBOMB candles
  • RB-24/74 FM’s now match ED AIM-9.

• Implemented major corrective pass on exterior artwork, including:

• Added missing hatches and details on right side of aircraft
    • Smoothed out sharp edge on leading edge of intake
    • Removed some clipping surfaces between interior and exterior of airbrakes
    • Fixed some clipping of objects at wing-root between fuselage and wing-root
    • Centre fuselage fin is now properly centred
    • Fixed shading errors near vertical tail on exterior model
    • Fixed several items clipping through from cockpit to exterior.
    • Removed gap between exhaust vents and fuselage
    • Increased canopy glass specular tiling
    • Adjusted AoA probe locations
    • Corrected mirrored "don't step here" decal on intake "strengthener" arm
    • Removed erroneous decals on right side of aircraft
    • Added additional detail to tail RWR area and revamped RWR receiver texture (Thanks Magnus S!)
    • Corrected broken normal map artefacts on inside of aircraft intake
    • Corrected broken polygons and gap just forward of vertical stabiliser
    • Corrected errant tangent basis on all pylon normalmaps
    • Fixed gaps between fuselage and inside of exhaust elements
    • Dithered _T normal to avoid shadow banding
    • Compressed various textures left in .png
    • Removed normal map rendering from LoD2+ for improved performance
    • Rebuilt LoD1 & LoD 2 and adjusted rendering ranges

• Remastered and revamped bare metal liveries to use PBR textures
  • Temporarily made the “SE-DXN v3” livery simply match the bare metal base livery until re-exported using new Paintkit.

PS: Check out also this very cool livery by @Mach3DS - which unfortunately could not be included in time, but will be in the next patch. In the meantime you can download it here: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/314918-the-show-must-go-on-livery/

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

5 minutes ago, Spirale said:

Thx HB !

Is it me or  the Viggen seems to be slow now ( with a normal payload 4x RB75B + tank)...Even with PC1 it seems to have way more drag...perhaps i am wrong with my feelings

From our testing this *should* not be the case, and could very well be "feelings", hehe. We primarily "shaped off" the overperformance, especially at high altitudes.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

To be honest I was expecting to (finally..) see an animated engine nozzle and those sliding doors that close the bypass at high speed.

The rest looks great, but the above is sticking out at this point in a modern 3d model.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

24 minutes ago, bkthunder said:

To be honest I was expecting to (finally..) see an animated engine nozzle and those sliding doors that close the bypass at high speed.

The rest looks great, but the above is sticking out at this point in a modern 3d model.

Planned for January. We've remodeled the fan and you'll see more geometric detail in there, incl anims. 

• Like 5

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Really nice update, good to see the Viggen receiving this extensive level of attention.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Feedback regarding the tail numbers - Awesome to finally get them as it could significantly trim down my divisions skin folder (20+ Viggen pilots in a session)

1. The numbers are placed a bit too high and much too small compared to the IRL camo versions. Would be cool if you could add several version of it like other aircraft have so you can pick and choose.

2. The number is virtually always applied to the landing gear covers as well in (generally black).

3. A bit of a bonus but while doing the others it would be really cool if you could add the numbers to the top of the wings as well in (usually white or orange dayglow) which were used during some exercises.

I don't remember if you can add multiple colors for the tail numbers or if it's one overall, but there's usually 3 different colors for Viggens ID number so at least 2 would be required...

The size and position difference:  I've compared somewhere around 20-30 different aircraft to get the general average size and position for the numbers.. The small faded one is the automatic one and the large one if from my own skin. For some reason the automatic one shows through by default, so that's a bit of a bug as well...

By3CbBG.jpg

Example for the tail number + landing gear number

qXhOs5d.jpg

F81fm9p.jpg

Example wing numbers:
eXEsE38.jpg

For the future I have some further feedback about the textures:

I have yet to publicize my Viggen skins I made over a year ago but the in game camo pattern isn't anywhere near correct apart from most of the left wing and partially right wing... The ones I've made are probably more around 95-97% accurate. Some details and 2 decals are missing plus things I can't do much about like missing antennas, although I've done some simulation of them. Plus some local variations apply as well IRL... But if you're interested in updating yours to a much more correct one you're welcome to copy it.

In general there's a lack of details on the underside of the aircraft and there were a few model issues I found while doing it, like model parts placed on top of others. For example: The antenna right behind the cockpit can't be colored red as it should and the tabs on top of the canards are also placed on top of other parts. The pylons have mirrored textures. There's several exhausts and hatches missing on the underside. Doppler radar behind the front gear. Antenna missing from the underside of the right wing. Some type of receiver in front of the canopy (forgot what it did)

My Viggen pattern:

Spoiler

FUZjoWA.png
SUqwkxG.png
P9kLwQY.png

Stuff missing:

Spoiler

Right wing antenna

TCQNWmv.jpg

Exhaust etc:
LArdVVn.jpg

Nose receiver or something, sometimes just the square one, sometimes a larger antenna.

KUF5cyG.jpg

Edited by Aenonar
  • Like 4

Is this still the link to the paint kit or is that one now outdated with this new patch?

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

7 hours ago, IronMike said:

Dear all,

we are happy to deliver a substantial patch for the Viggen to you before the Holidays. The biggest and most noteworthy addition are ofc the new PBR textures, which come with a simplified and revamped paint kit as well, including all newest additions and refinements. Dynamic tactical tail numbers can now be triggered. And of course: wing vapour and LERX effects.

Another big change is the overhaul of the AGM-65, which now uses the standard seeker and includes many fixes and changes to make Mavericks great again. A launch tone detection for the RWR has been added, which now will detect launch radiation patterns and help your defensive game.

There are many more fixes included, like a fix for the flight model damage states desyncing with visuals, plenty of visual fixes and more, which is best taken from the changelog below.

Last, but not least, we would like to mention a significant overhaul of the FM performance, mainly drag at high altitudes and mach numbers, full afterburner thrust at high mach number and the overall acceleration at high altitudes.

We hope you all enjoy the changes, and as always, we would like to thank you for your kind patience and great feedback!

The Heatblur Team

DCS AJS-37 Viggen by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Standard AGM-65 Maverick seeker implemented
    • Able to lock buildings and map structures. 
    • Fixed AGM-65’s being unusable after jettison then Re-Arm.
    • Display polarity is now correctly calculated. 
    • Default EP-13 sight brightness and contrast adjusted for better visibility
    • Default EP-13 brightness at night or dusk adjusted to avoid melting eyes.
  • NEW: Added “launch” tone detection in RWR: RWR will now detect launch radiation patterns if defined for a given system
  • NEW: Added native PBR textures for almost all exterior textures, improving fidelity and detail and enabling more advanced livery creation.
  • NEW: Added dynamic tail tactical numbers, can be triggered by setting Argument 850 to 1.0
  • NEW: Added overwing vapour and LERX effects.

• Adjusted FM performance, chiefly:
    • Adjusted drag at high mach numbers (>~1.2) and altitudes.
    • Full afterburner thrust at high Mach numbers (>~1.2) and altitudes adjusted
    • Overall acceleration slower at high altitudes

• Corrected afterburner fuel consumption
  • Fixed instances of flight model damage states desyncing with visuals.
  • Default standby altimeter now set to 1013
  • Fixed Radar elevation not being 0 degrees relative to horizon in Terrain Avoidance mode.
  • Fixed Standby KURS indicator being frozen at 180 degrees
  • Changed RB24 guidance time to 0.5s from 2s.
  • Increased RB24 proximity fuse to 9m per SwAF documentation
  • Fixed target points being labelled as navigation points when added on the F10 map.
  • Fixed the afterburner effect clipping and becoming oversized when the engine was stalling.
  • Changed colours for LYSBOMB candles
  • RB-24/74 FM’s now match ED AIM-9.

• Implemented major corrective pass on exterior artwork, including:

• Added missing hatches and details on right side of aircraft
    • Smoothed out sharp edge on leading edge of intake
    • Removed some clipping surfaces between interior and exterior of airbrakes
    • Fixed some clipping of objects at wing-root between fuselage and wing-root
    • Centre fuselage fin is now properly centred
    • Fixed shading errors near vertical tail on exterior model
    • Fixed several items clipping through from cockpit to exterior.
    • Removed gap between exhaust vents and fuselage
    • Increased canopy glass specular tiling
    • Adjusted AoA probe locations
    • Corrected mirrored "don't step here" decal on intake "strengthener" arm
    • Removed erroneous decals on right side of aircraft
    • Added additional detail to tail RWR area and revamped RWR receiver texture (Thanks Magnus S!)
    • Corrected broken normal map artefacts on inside of aircraft intake
    • Corrected broken polygons and gap just forward of vertical stabiliser
    • Corrected errant tangent basis on all pylon normalmaps
    • Fixed gaps between fuselage and inside of exhaust elements
    • Dithered _T normal to avoid shadow banding
    • Compressed various textures left in .png
    • Removed normal map rendering from LoD2+ for improved performance
    • Rebuilt LoD1 & LoD 2 and adjusted rendering ranges

• Remastered and revamped bare metal liveries to use PBR textures
  • Temporarily made the “SE-DXN v3” livery simply match the bare metal base livery until re-exported using new Paintkit.

Will we see the addition of Heatblur: forge to the viggen in the future?

Thanks so much for the update guys, have a nice Christmas!

2 hours ago, 3000 Black Jets of Allah said:

What new paintkit? There wasn't one added in the update.

It seems pretty implied that a new paint kit would be provided.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, IronMike said:

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14