Bug: LA incorrectly given for IR missiles

BlackPixxel

There is the following bug in Su-27, Su-33 and MiG-29 that makes it likely for IR missiles to not track the target after launch:

When the target is directly along the boresight of the aircraft, LA (Launch authorisation) is correctly given when the missile seeker is within range to acquire the target and when the target is within kinematic range of the missile.

But the further the target is off-boresight, the earlier the aircraft will give LA before the missile seeker is actually able to pick up the heat signature.

image.png

This is very problematic, as it gives the player the impression that the missile is locked and allows him to shoot the missile in longer range off-boresight scenarios. But in the end, the missile will just fly straight and not track the target if the range at which LA was given is beyond the seeker range of the missile.

The attached trackfile showcases the issue. The off boresight target is acquired, and the ET is launched as soon as LA is given. But due to the bug LA is given before the missile seeker actually sees the target. So the missile just leaves the rail and flies straight and unguided.

ET_off_boresight.trk

Meanwhile, in the head on example LA is given at the range where the seeker actually sees the target and it correctly tracks.

ET_head_on.trk

Hope it can be solved, as it frequently causes missile to miss.

Thank you!

Edited by BlackPixxel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I took control of your off boresight TRK and, after the initial launch authorization, made a quick turn into the target. Lost launch authorization until roughly the same range as the boresight TRK. Good catch.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 hours ago, TheFreshPrince said:

Point 5

Ahhh. Point 5 has been in effect for years. While they will fix FC3 bugs, they will not add features to existing aircraft nor create new FC3 aircraft. So it’s not abandonware. Simply not developmentware.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

15 hours ago, TheFreshPrince said:

FC3 is pretty much dead officially from what I witnessed here on the forum. 

From what I've seen on the forum, FC3 is still getting significant updates. Just look at the F-15's radar. The R-27 is also the missile getting the most attention from ED after the AIM-120, and the only planes to carry it are from FC3.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

There have been some missile changes in the past year but that's about it from what I can read from the official changelogs. Maybe they do some unofficial fixes, who knows. But except the missiles, there's nothing about FC3 in the changelogs or I've missed it.

Just to be clear, I don't think there is much that needs fix anyway. I love the FC3 package and it works beautifully well. Currently, in Air-to-Air-Combat the FC3 planes are way better than other modules (except the F-16 maybe). The R27ET and R73 are probably the best missiles in DCS at the moment.

I just want to point out that there might be no official reply or fix to the issue in this or in my thread, because ED clearly has other priorities.

Edited by TheFreshPrince

34 minutes ago, TheFreshPrince said:

I just want to point out that there might be no official reply or fix to the issue in this or in my thread, because ED clearly has other priorities.

You got answered by many users and didn't care to reply or thank.

There are still fixes done for FC3, not all are noted in the change log.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

False, I liked or thanked every post that was helpful. I also literally wrote thank you. But after a few posts there was not much new so I waited for an official reply, which never happened. There's also no reason to reply if someone explains something to me, I will just acknowledge it and press the like or thank button. And if it's not helpful, then I won't... Also no need to spam this thread with accusations. 😑

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 11:00 PM, BlackPixxel said:

Bug is still present.

Yes, but they managed to keep the 27R from reacquiring the target, so they are working on it 😄

• Like 2

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for the heads up! 🙏

Issue reproduced and reported.

image.jpeg

Edited by Pavlin_33
  • Like 4

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

• 2 months later...

I think I found the issue in the calculation.

Here is the same scenario, but I shifted the position of my aircraft in such a way that the heading of me is the same, but that the target is directly in front of me.

So the difference in heading angle between target and me is the same as in the previous test.

And what do we get? The same launch authorisation range of ~ 9 km.

HEATER_LA_offset.trk

test2.png

IR signature is aspect dependant in DCS. So in the Su-27 code it needs to check the aspect angle of the target as one of the factors for a valid seeker lock.

But it seems that the DCS code simply calculates the angular difference of Su-27 and target vectors. It does NOT take into consideration, that the off-boresight angle also adds to that angular difference. A pretty bad mistake.

This incorrect calculation only happens for the aircraft, once the missile is launched it calculates the true target aspect correctly and as a result is unable to find it. It was launched to early.

Would be nice if this could be fixed in one of the next patches.

Edited by BlackPixxel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

To further prove my point, here is another test.

But at first, take into consideration that in a head on scenario, the ET will get LA at about 7 km on that Su-25.

In this new test, the target is off boresight, but its heading is exactly the opposite of mine. So the heading difference is exactly the same 180° as in the case where I fly headon into the SU-25. What is different is only that the target is positioned off boresight, so we fly past each other. It means that I will view the target not from the front, but from a flanking aspect. This should increase my ET seeker range.

But it doesn't. I get exactly the same ~7 km LA range. This is because DCS only substracts the directions of me and the target to get the aspect angle, instead of taking the effect of the off-boresight angle into consideration.

HEATER_LA_BUG_4.trk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• ED Team

The issue is already reported, just need to be patient now. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...