DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Just now, Glide said:

The Toolkit merely changes the OpenXR settings.  From the guide:

• Motion reprojection (only with Windows Mixed Reality): Enable overriding the Motion Reprojection mode. Default means to use the system settings (from the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality).
    • Lock motion reprojection (only with Windows Mixed Reality, when Motion Reprojection is forced to On😞 Disable automatic motion reprojection adjustment, and lock the frame rate to the desired fraction of the refresh rate.

Thank you so much. You're a legend.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

1 hour ago, MarkyMarkUK said:

I have G2 with Steam version of DCS. You can remove the command line now as MT Preview does it for you.

Make sure you have latest version of OpenXR Toolkit, 1.2.4 think. Run reprojection from there.

Just had another look at the Multithread FAQ and it does say that we still add the force enable line at to the shortcut, although I just ran multithread without it and it seemed to work fine. Is there something I am missing?

Edited by Willie Nelson

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

3 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Just had another look at the Multithread FAQ and it does say that we still add the force enable line at to the shortcut, although I just ran multithread without it and it seemed to work fine. Is there something I am missing?

Same here. Seems to work without for me.

Unrelated (probably)But OpenXR toolkit borking load of DCS. Can't use OpenXRTK with Varjo right now for some reason.

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

1 hour ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Same here. Seems to work without for me.

Unrelated (probably)But OpenXR toolkit borking load of DCS. Can't use OpenXRTK with Varjo right now for some reason.

OpenXR Toolkit with Varjo and DCS native support requires the Varjo OpenXR Wrapper, as mentioned in other threads on this forum:

https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper/releases

6 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Thank you very much, I forgot we were even using it. Would you know if the OpenXR toolkit reprojection setting overides the OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality reprojection setting?

Again, thanks for your help.

There is a website with a search function and many many of the answers to these typical questions, eg:

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/other-features.html#motion-reprojection

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thank you. I reinistalled the wrappers files into the Varjo folder. Now it works again. Must have clipped some files along the way. Maybe with DCS Utility....

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

Hey guys, I like to use SteamVR as the default OpenXR runtime as I want to keep using the per-app resolution settings. However, it seems that the selected resolution in SteamVR does not get applied and fpsVR reports 100% resolution.

Is this a reporting problem from fpsVR or is SteamVR uncapable of changing the resolution through OpenXR?

Also I have another question: if SteamVR is set as the default OpenXR runtime, is SteamVR in charge of reprojection?

Thanks!

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

19 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

Hey guys, I like to use SteamVR as the default OpenXR runtime as I want to keep using the per-app resolution settings. However, it seems that the selected resolution in SteamVR does not get applied and fpsVR reports 100% resolution.

Is this a reporting problem from fpsVR or is SteamVR uncapable of changing the resolution through OpenXR?

Also I have another question: if SteamVR is set as the default OpenXR runtime, is SteamVR in charge of reprojection?

Thanks!

OpenXR and your settings in Tools will overwrite settings in SteamVR as runtime so:

1/ use OpenXR Developer Tools to set your settings on 2D screen (easiest method) or

2/ go to settings of OXR in SteamVR (in 3D, when you have goggles on your head) and use controller to see OpenXR settings or

3/ you can use mbucchia's Toolkit in 3D as well.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I was using the OpenXR solution launching with the forceVR setting and OpenVR disabled in the Varjo Aero, steamVR not loaded at all,  and now when I try to run the multithreaded DCS I'm getting a kind of ghosting/latency whenever I move my head, in cockpit, of the F-16.   If I just hold my head steady there is no ghosting or image latency, good frames.   Vsync is off, motion smoothing off, 39 PPD, relatively high graphical settings in game, water medium, enabled VR headset option is set in DCS settings.  I'm running a 12900ks, OC'd 4090 on a custom loop, 6000mhz ram.  Any ideas?  Is this a specific graphics setting in DCS maybe?  It's unbearable to use this way but would like to use the multi-threaded dcs obviously...

49 minutes ago, WeCantAllBeNavy said:

I was using the OpenXR solution launching with the forceVR setting and OpenVR disabled in the Varjo Aero, steamVR not loaded at all,  and now when I try to run the multithreaded DCS I'm getting a kind of ghosting/latency whenever I move my head, in cockpit, of the F-16.   If I just hold my head steady there is no ghosting or image latency, good frames.   Vsync is off, motion smoothing off, 39 PPD, relatively high graphical settings in game, water medium, enabled VR headset option is set in DCS settings.  I'm running a 12900ks, OC'd 4090 on a custom loop, 6000mhz ram.  Any ideas?  Is this a specific graphics setting in DCS maybe?  It's unbearable to use this way but would like to use the multi-threaded dcs obviously...

If you have Motion reprojection / smoothness „on” with OXR the ghosting is more visible (outside of cockipt) than with OpenVR and SteamVR. Its normal. Here is a reason why Im still on OVR and SteamVR for DCS OB SC version. MT works now only with OXR. Im waiting for a fix.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

If you have Motion reprojection / smoothness „on” with OXR the ghosting is more visible (outside of cockipt) than with OpenVR and SteamVR. Its normal. Here is a reason why Im still on OVR and SteamVR for DCS OB SC version. MT works now only with OXR. Im waiting for a fix.

Motion smoothing is OFF.   Also I was just using this 2 weeks ago and its' not "normal" it wasn't doing it then.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, YoYo said:

OpenXR and your settings in Tools will overwrite settings in SteamVR as runtime so:

1/ use OpenXR Developer Tools to set your settings on 2D screen (easiest method) or

2/ go to settings of OXR in SteamVR (in 3D, when you have goggles on your head) and use controller to see OpenXR settings or

3/ you can use mbucchia's Toolkit in 3D as well.

Thanks YoYo.

So if I get rid of OpenXR Tools, then it will not overwrite my SteamVR settings and I will be able to control everything from there which is what I want.

I will try later!

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

2 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

Thanks YoYo.

So if I get rid of OpenXR Tools, then it will not overwrite my SteamVR settings and I will be able to control everything from there which is what I want.

I will try later!

Yes, but remember that the MT version now only works with OpenXR, maybe something will change after Today's patch, which they just announced :).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 3/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, WeCantAllBeNavy said:

I guess the smooth ghosting of horizon/objects when rolling the aircraft at high settings are normal, even for high end cards. I can get rid of them only by employing motion smoothing; then everything is 100% fluid, like real life experience. With card powerful enough the artifacts are almost not present, what more, there is improved motion smoothing for OpenXR at works, which eliminates them by 75%. 

Am 15.3.2023 um 16:28 schrieb WeCantAllBeNavy:

I think I got the same kind of issue with a Pico 4, its like some really broken motion preprojection is forced on? Like it gets the wrong movement vectors for my head and interpolated frames massively overshoot. Plane movement has issues, but isnt as bad. Head movement also makes performance and latency worse. 

I also noticed one of my CPU cores is always at 100%, even if Im in main menu at 20fps limit, which clearly doesnt make sense. 

Im using Pico 4 -> SteamVR (for OpenXR) in MT. In ST, the game seems to work fine.

For you guys who like tuning and knowing what's going on with your system, primarily your CPU now that your tuning for MT...

Check out Quick CPU. Gives a ton more info than Windows Resource monitor.

https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

On first launch, verify these sliders are at 100%.

CPU.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, jurinko said:

I guess the smooth ghosting of horizon/objects when rolling the aircraft at high settings are normal, even for high end cards. I can get rid of them only by employing motion smoothing; then everything is 100% fluid, like real life experience. With card powerful enough the artifacts are almost not present, what more, there is improved motion smoothing for OpenXR at works, which eliminates them by 75%. 

No, this is something much more noticeable like a 500ms ghosting latency when looking at the interior of cockpit.  It's something in software that is not working together with the forced VR mode and openXR being forced, I think.  I will have more time this weekend to troubleshoot it. 

vor 49 Minuten schrieb WeCantAllBeNavy:

No, this is something much more noticeable like a 500ms ghosting latency when looking at the interior of cockpit.  It's something in software that is not working together with the forced VR mode and openXR being forced, I think.  I will have more time this weekend to troubleshoot it. 

Do you have Microsoft Flight Sim 2020? Ive done a double check, because it also uses OpenXR, and it also sometimes got those massive reprojection artifacts (disabled repro in game, but SteamVR got its own reprojection forced i think?).

But in MSFS 2020 those stutters are just shortly there, and then usually go away after a few seconds at most. Maybe this is an SteamVR/OpenXR issue and the imbalanced CPU usage of DCS MT causes this problem to appear permanently? With DCS MT one of my cores is 100% of the time bottlenecking.

Ive had artifacts like this in SteamVR with OpenVR, but that was usually just a for frame or two and not nearly as bad.

Edited by Temetre

10 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Someone got a current recommended setting for open xr toolkit with G2?

Motion smoothing OFF: CAS sharpening 20%, turbo ON, FPS cap 45, foveated rendering: wide quality
Motion smoothing ON: the same, turbo OFF
Slight addition of contrast and color in another tab

I fly single thread dcs.exe as for me it runs smoother than MT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Motion smoothing OFF: CAS sharpening 20%, turbo ON, FPS cap 45, foveated rendering: wide quality

I'll try that. Haven't tied CAS yet. Only FSR.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Still trying to clarify a couple of points regarding these latest changes:

1. When launching DCS from the shortcut “bin-mt\DCS.exe”, do we still need “—force_enable_VR” to run it in VR and do we still need “—force_OpenXR” as well?

2. When selecting OpenXR Tools for windows as the Runtime, and assuming I leave the Open Composite App on my computer, do I need to switch to Steam on the OC App (NOT using SteamVR) or will OC be bypassed when using “1” above to launch DCS?

Thanks Guys!

Edited by greyeagle787

With the newest patch I have managed to run DCS as never before.

OpenXR tools for WMR: latest openxr runtime ON, motion reprojection: automatic
OpenXR toolkit: checked dcs.exe and opencomposite dcs.exe
SteamVR settings/developer: current openxr runtime: steamvr
SteamVR settings/video: motion smoothing off, per aplication dcs disabled

start DCS with bin-mt/dcs.exe icon without any --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR comments

openvr_api.dll in mt-bin is unchanged

In-game toolkit menu: fps limit 90 (pre-patch I had 45, now 45 stutters), turbo OFF (causes stutter, before the patch and with forced OpenXR I had ON), motion reprojection is not present in menu??

DCS starts in old, pre-openXR way with WMR big window and SteamVR small window

Despite reprojections off everywhere, DCS in-game looks like having reprojection on, but that better "SteamVR" one with minimum artifacts. It is as smooth as a dream. 

When I open Mixed reality portal window, it says WMR is not ready to run OpenXR apps, fix it. If I fix it, I run DCS OpenXR either without reprojection which ghosts horizon a bit, or with repro which is smooth but with visible artifacts. 

I am frankly confused what is runtime, what is API, why I have OpenXR toolkit menu available when I run DCS with old "SteamVR" way, why I have reprojection running when it is switched off everywhere, why I can limit fps in the toolkit in-game menu when the reprojection is on. But it runs AWESOME. 

Edited by jurinko

20 hours ago, jurinko said:

I did this and together with the second TM patch. I can say this is the smoothest my DCS  has ever been.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I've just bought a whole new PC and G2

I've read a lot of posts about optimal setups etc but I'm more confused now than before I started.

Can someone direct me to a clear-cut guide on what to do for a fresh install?

Am I installing SteamVR? OpenXR Toolkit? 

This topic rapidly changes and most youtube tutorials are outdated very quickly!