DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery competition

BIGNEWY

On 2/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Reflected said:

Mosquito FB.VI Generic skin with full invasion stripes and variable bort numbers. You can edit the letters in the mission editor or the rearming window. Custom roughmets, accurate colors and markings. This should be useful on the Normandy map.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329266/

Screen_230226_135505.jpg

Screen_230226_135645.jpg

Mosquito FB.VI 487 Sqn RNZAF flown by Group Captain Percy Charles Picard EG-F, who was killed in action near Amiens during Operation Jericho, when a FW-190 hit his aircraft and the tail section broke off. Custom roughmets, accurate colors and markings.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329265/

220px-PC_Pickard.jpg

Screen_230226_132455.jpg

Screen_230226_132713.jpg

Love these!  Historic, and applicable to DCS.  10/10 addition, a must!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Apparently there were some Mosquitos at RAF Habbaniya at some point... Any chance we can get some more desert liveries? The israel one looks very good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules: AH-64D, Mi-24P, UH-1H, F-14, F-18C, CA, SC    Terrains: Sinai, Strait of Hormuz, Syria    -    Wishlist: Desert Storm map, 1950s Sinai, Navy Phantom, A-6, Mirage F1EQ, AH-64A, MiG-17/23/25/29, dynamic campaign, live/historical weather - Social credit score: -20

RAAF No.1 Sqn Mosquito

"The Bondi Blonde" & a generic No.1 Sqn with changeable bort numbers/letters.

Edit: RM's updated

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329468/

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, June 1944

ED User Files Download Page

Mossie June 1.jpg

Mossie June 4.jpg

Mossie June 2.jpg

1-6-616x355.jpg

A paint scheme based on a Mosquito of No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force, from June 1944, with roughly applied invasion stripes; can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

To hide the squadron code under the invasion stripes type -- in the code where the squadron codes would otherwise be, for example SYZNS898 would be --ZNS898.

Update: 06/03/2023:

Various improvements to wing markings and engine cowlings.

Edited by MJDixon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Working on the USAAF 653rd Bombardment Squadron.  This is a weather recon bird, based heavily on NS521 at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.  This does, however, have dynamic borts to allow for a fleet. 

EDIT: This contest entry is now a skinpack of the 25th Bombardment Group (Reconnaissance), with three similar skins with varying degrees of invasion stripes, all based on historical aircraft. 

Mosquito FB Mk.VI Skin Pack: USAAF 25th Bombardment Group (Reconnaissance) (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Here's the original at WPAFB:

38470887541_0d4d41c3ea.jpg

and here's the work in progress (Edit: updated base color and weathering):

653_1.jpg

653_2.jpg

And a custom pilot livery with USAAF browns and A-6 boots.

image.jpeg

And the new aircraft in the skin pack:

653_3.jpg

653_4.jpg

Edited by Home Fries
Link posted
  • Like 11

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, July 1944

Mossie July 1.jpg

Mossie July 6.jpg

Mossie July 5.jpg

mev-11950989.jpg

As with my previous skin, a paint scheme based on a Mosquito of No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force, this time from July 1944 onwards, with roughly applied invasion stripes only on the underside of the aircraft; can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

Includes versions with both a fully visible squadron code, and one where the bottom half of the squadron code is obscured by the invasion stripes, as was often the case.

Update: 06/03/2023:

Removed 'baked in' squadron code and added custom bort to allow for dynamic squadron codes to be hidden under the invasion stripes.
Various improvements to wing markings and engine cowlings.

Edited by MJDixon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, static_actual said:

do you know what squadron/have any pics?

Well, I can't find any pictures, and it doesn't look like Mosquitos were stationed at Habbaniya after a quick google search. But it's very likely that Mosquitos used it as a refueling base for ferry flights.

It was just an example, there are other bases that had Mosquitos. Any desert livery will do, all we need is some desert camo scheme and RAF roundels. Here's what I found, hope it's close enough:

"Small though this force was for the size of the region, it was reduced by the middle ^ of 1946 to one squadron. Post-war reductions in Europe had thrown up large numbers of surplus Mosquitos and it was decided to use these wherever possible [ to re-equip squadrons which had American aircraft. Although theoretically a sound solution, it ignored the fact that the wooden construction of the Mosquito r was far from suitable either for extremely hot, dry conditions or humid, wet conditions. In accordance with this policy 249 Squadron exchanged its Baltimores for the Mosquito FB 6 towards the end of 1945 and, still at Eastleigh, worked up ^ to operational proficiency by fulfilling many photographic survey tasks in East J Africa. In June 1946 the squadron was moved to Iraq which had been completely denuded of squadrons, but the climate proved too much for the aircraft which had ^ to be grounded with severe wood shrinkage after a brief period. Similarly ^ 114 Squadron exchanged its Bostons for the Mosquito FB 6 at Khormaksar. It was somewhat more fortunate with its aircraft than 249 Squadron, but even so, the Mosquito disliked the Aden climate with the result that the squadron was quickly re-equipped again as soon as the Tempest became available. It was most j unfortunate that the Mosquito, which had such a magnificent war record, should have been exposed at the end of its life to conditions for which it had not been ^ designed and was unsuitable. However, it filled an important gap between the ^ release of American aircraft and the arrival of more suitable all metal designs."

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/units/air-historical-branch/regional-studies-post-coldwar-narratives/the-raf-in-the-mediterranean-and-middle-east-1945-71-part-ii-the-southern-tier/

Edited by 79Au

Modules: AH-64D, Mi-24P, UH-1H, F-14, F-18C, CA, SC    Terrains: Sinai, Strait of Hormuz, Syria    -    Wishlist: Desert Storm map, 1950s Sinai, Navy Phantom, A-6, Mirage F1EQ, AH-64A, MiG-17/23/25/29, dynamic campaign, live/historical weather - Social credit score: -20

Raf Coastal Command, BANFF Strike Wing, working dinamic bort numbers

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329484/

nullnull

image.png

image.png

image.pngnullnullnull

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by -_Cuervo_-
New Pics
  • Like 7

I5 8600K  - MSI 3070 - 32Gb DDR4  - 1 TB NVME - 1TB SSD - :joystick: TM Warthog

FC3 - Mirage - Hawk (RIP) - F5E - L39 - F14B -A4E C- UH1H - AV8BNA - F16C - FA-18C - Ka50- Apache-A10CII - MB339

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mosquito FB VI Soviet Air Force. Used a 4-color paint scheme for the Pe-2 bomber. Dynamic side numbers. The inscription on the fuselage "For the victory" (a similar inscription was often applied to some aircraft of the Red Army Air Force)

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ru/files/3329482/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Flаnker
  • Like 7

vor einer Stunde schrieb MJDixon:

A paint scheme based on a Mosquito of No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force, from June 1944, with roughly applied invasion stripes; can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

Looks stunning, thank you very much! 😍

• Thanks 1

• Mossie PoUX Cholavarum, India 1945

PoUX in 1945 in Cholavarum close to Madras in India. It wears SEAC two-tone blue markings over an all painted aluminium finish. No. 82 Squadron RAF had Squadron code "UX". The squadron left Bomber Command and relocated to RAF Cholavarum, India in early 1942. The squadron was re-equipped with Mosquitoes in July 1944, but was temporarily grounded due to failures in the wooden structure before commencing ground attack sorties on 19 December. These operations continued until 12 May 1945, when the squadron was withdrawn to India to prepare for the proposed invasion of Malaya. This operation did not occur due to the end of the war, and the squadron was disbanded on 15 March 1946. Problems were found with glue adhesion in the humidity, but it was actually the tropical heat that was the more immediate problem; the Australians did some experiments and found that painting the Mosquito silver reduced the heat inside the wings by a significant amount (appx. by 15 degrees during the daytime).

Registration letters are fixed and not selectable. Pilots have white lightweight coveralls.

Submitted to User Files. Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329485/

P_UX.jpg

pux2.jpg

PoUX in 1945 in Cholavarum close to Madras in India_ It wears SEAC two-tone blue markings over an all painted aluminium finish..JPG

These Mossies were repainted in aluminium dope to prevent heat fatigue to the glue holding the airframe together_ It reduced the interior wing temperature by 15 degrees during the daytime.jpg

• Generic CBI Theatre Silver Dope

This is a generic version of silver (aluminum) doped Mossies which served in the China / Burma / India (CBI) theatre. Problems were found with glue adhesion in the humidity, but it was actually the tropical heat that was the more immediate problem; the Australians did some experiments and found that painting the Mosquito silver reduced the heat inside the wings by a significant amount (appx. by 15 degrees during the daytime). That’s why many photos appear to show metal Mosquitos. They were simply wooden wonders that had been painted silver.

Registration (Bort) letters are selectable. Pilots have lightweight white cotton coveralls.

Submitted to User Files. Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329487/

Generic CBI.jpg

gen4.jpg

gen3.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
Links added
  • Like 3

The two skins above are in preparation for doing this next skin depicting this photo of Flight Lieutenant A. Torrance of Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, Scotland, known as 'Jock'. I have not been able to locate any other pictures of this aircraft so it will have to be a bit of educated guessing and fiction. I only found one photo of a No. 27 Squadron aircraft, s/n: HJ759. If anyone has any other documentation I would be most appreciative!

I decided to make the previous skins as fairly fresh. Jock's skin will be much more beat-up as can be seen in the photo.

Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944._CF117.jpg

Mosquito FB VI of No. 27 Squadron RAF in the CBI, 7 June 1945.jpg

10 hours ago, MJDixon said:

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, June 1944

Mossie June 1.jpg

Mossie June 4.jpg

Mossie June 2.jpg

1-6-616x355.jpg

To hide the squadron code under the invasion stripes type -- in the code where the squadron codes would otherwise be, for example SYZNS898 would be --ZNS898.

The brush stroke effects on the invasion stripes here are phenomenal. Excellent work.

Edited by static_actual
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

The two skins above are in preparation for doing this next skin depicting this photo of Flight Lieutenant A. Torrance of Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, Scotland, known as 'Jock'. I have not been able to locate any other pictures of this aircraft so it will have to be a bit of educated guessing and fiction. I only found one photo of a No. 27 Squadron aircraft, s/n: HJ759. If anyone has any other documentation I would be most appreciative!

I decided to make the previous skins as fairly fresh. Jock's skin will be much more beat-up as can be seen in the photo.

Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944._CF117.jpg

Mosquito FB VI of No. 27 Squadron RAF in the CBI, 7 June 1945.jpg

I saw a colour photo of popeye and the snake somewhere recently when researching 1 Sqn. I think it was a decal set for a model. It was very low res but at least it gave the colours. I’ll see if I can track it down again (but no promises).

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

RAF 107 SQN OM-Q tail No.NS855 based in Cambrai-Epinoy Air Base (France) circa October 1944

Flown by Lt. D. Button (UK) and F/O L. Mellor (FR) 

Original unit was equipped with engine exhaust covers 

Download link https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/es/files/3329491/ (*) Error detected and fixed: Wrong tail number NS886 instead NS855

Screen_230304_123246.png

Edited by OLD CROW
  • Like 2

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you!  Much appreciated but would this happen to be a colorized version using software? I would think that the Japanese "snake" would have been yellow. The purplish shadow on the pilot's left arm seems strange also. Still, it looks the part but I think I'll go with a different interpretation.

4 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Thank you!  Much appreciated but would this happen to be a colorized version using software? I would think that the Japanese "snake" would have been yellow. The purplish shadow on the pilot's left arm seems strange also. Still, it looks the part but I think I'll go with a different interpretation.

No problem. You're right, I used this AI to colorized it: https://imagecolorizer.com/ , it didn't nail it 100% but it gives you a rough guide which palet of colours you will need, but nowadays AI's are better for chatting than for painting.

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Several skins based on the skins of RCAF No. 418 squadron.

1. Based on the “Moonbeam McSwine”, which you can find here: Mosquito FBMkVI, RCAF No. 418. Sqn. “Moonbeam McSwine” I created a universal night camo with functional numbers.

Screen_230304_161646.jpg

Screen_230304_185921.jpg

This could be download from here: Mosquito FBMkVI, RCAF No. 418. Sqn. Night camo, WORKING BORT NUMBERS

2. Based on the "Hairless Joe" flown by Russell Bannock, download here: Mosquito FBMkVI, RCAF No. 418. Sqn. "Hairless Joe" I created a universal standrd camo with functional numbers.

Screen_230304_161713.jpg

image.png

Universal camo could be downloaded from here: Mosquito FBMkVI, RCAF No. 418. Sqn. Standard camo, WORKING BORT NUMBERS

Screen_230304_185936.jpg

Edited by 313_Paegas
  • Like 2

While normally a Spitfire squadron, No. 310 Squadron would apply for partial Mosquito usage in response to the constant harassment of fellow RAF squadrons by the Luftwaffe fighter squadron and the arrival of the Schwalbe in operations over Ruhr and the surrounding areas. In addition, it was also ideal for countering the He 219.

Screen_230302_231515.jpg

For download here Mosquito FBMkVI, RAF, No. 310 Squadron NN-E

Universal camo Mosquito FBMkVI, RAF, No. 310 Squadron WORKING BORT NUMBERS

Screen_230304_190552.jpg

• Like 2

Great to see all these Mosquito skins.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

RAAF No.1 Sqn "Here's Troub-ole"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329524/

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 6

image.jpeg