DCS Newsletter discussion 10th March 2023 - Open Beta with Multithreading preview

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS Newsletter discussion 10th March 2023 - Open Beta with Multithreading preview

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/e5e76c23e0b20714a6a6a0ebde12c530/

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,:pilotfly: 

We are delighted to announce that the latest Open Beta introduces our first iteration of multithreading support. We await your feedback with great interest, and if you are a power user, we encourage you to get familiar with this technology by reading the Multi-threading FAQ forum post.

Included in the most recent DCS Open Beta are all the latest improvements for DCS: F-16C Viper, DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, and several third party modules that include the DCS: Mirage F1, DCS: AV-8B N/A, DCS: M-2000, and more. For a full list of all new features and squashed bugs, please read the full changelog

We understand that many of you are eagerly awaiting new AH-64D features. Please rest assured that we are working steadily on this complex helicopter with dedicated resources and feedback.

Thank you for your patience, passion and support.

Yours sincerely, 

Eagle Dynamics

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

austin-powers-yeah-baby-yeah.jpg?resize=

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 5

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

Thank you! I cant wait to go home and to test it, i will report here me experience in 2D and VR... love you guys

Intel Core i9-13900K / Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB / Kingston Fury Beast RGB, DDR5, 64GB (4x 16GB) 6000MHz / EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W / Microsoft Windows 11 Home / ASUS TUF Gaming LC 240 ARGB / MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI

So far very good results with MT. Tested three of my typical missions (1 in Syria, 1 in Marianas, 1 in Persian Gulf)  and all exhibited quite good FPS improvement of up to double the FPS. Nice one Eagle Dynamics!

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Huge fps gains on VR and campaigns. I used to not be able to fly most of them (4090 and 5800x3d) but I fired up Operation CerberusNorth first mission, on hangar with F18 and almost cry. 3X FPS! That campaign was unplayable for me in VR.

Wonder what performance gains will get on MP. I'll fire up some enigma's or grayflag in VR to see...

Congrats ED....Now I'd love my F15E please! Can't wait.

Edited by ECTAE
  • Like 5

I had an odd experience.  On a 3080 and PIMAX 8kx running OpenXR, the loading screens have now gone.  The sim still loads, and loads quicker than usual, if you wait through the blank screens.  Once in sim, there's a terrible frame lag, almost like someone turned on an incompatible motion reprojection.   I went back into ST DCS, and now I have around 25% more fps in VR - go figure!

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

10 minutes ago, Convexrook said:

such a big patch on a Friday? Risky - 
I usually force WMR Open XR via steam command line but it is not working for MT option

my guess would be, that you have to start steam dcs with the MT exe from the MT folder (" .../bin-mt\DCS.exe" ?) and force openXR with a windows command line on the exe itself (making a shortcut f.e. and add your argument to the shortcut). hope that helps! (not tested myself)

Edited by twistking

6 minutes ago, twistking said:

my guess would be, that you have to start steam dcs with the MT exe from the MT folder and force openXR with a windows command line on the exe itself. hope that helps.

My mistake it was working I had the FPS monitor off and my keybinds were changed to show OXR toolkit menu 🙂 all is good

36 minutes ago, GayCavalier said:

I had an odd experience.  On a 3080 and PIMAX 8kx running OpenXR, the loading screens have now gone.  The sim still loads, and loads quicker than usual, if you wait through the blank screens.  Once in sim, there's a terrible frame lag, almost like someone turned on an incompatible motion reprojection.   I went back into ST DCS, and now I have around 25% more fps in VR - go figure!

Still running some test in WMR I will post some findings but so far it seems to be better for being more smooth in VR. 

• Like 1

zprwsp-6.png

Running my benchmark, noticeable improvement, not 3X though. In Quest2, it is going from about 51 up to 60+, which is pretty good.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

overall I'd say so far so good, im averaging 55-65 fps with all settings maxed in VR its smooth as and so far stable as a rock (probably just jinxed it lol) ive got a Apahce mission on channel map i always use as a gauge  and its really good thus far ive managed to increase the hell out of the settings to what i ran before so thats a bonus specially in VR.

the only downside is necksafer dont work but for now thats ok openxr toolkit all works as does everything openxr related, i run the developer tool at 200% and the game graphics look amazing.

nice works ED team its looking good to me. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7800x3D , RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz  Pico4 Windows 11 Pro water cooling full loop

16 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Running my benchmark, noticeable improvement, not 3X though. In Quest2, it is going from about 51 up to 60+, which is pretty good.

3x on that campaign that was pretty CPU bound.... On VR right now in MP I get solid 60fps on pico4. No frame smoothing, Steam 150%, High preset DCS, no SS inside DCS.  That's for me is a win! I used to drop to 20fps on 4ya servers with a RiftS 😞

• Like 1

Steam
DCS Open Beta
HP Reverb G2 -> WMR
OpenComposite so far

Am now but a little desperate. If I use the radio button "Play MT Preview" according to the instructions and then press play, the game starts in 2D. The same if I directly start the \DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe.
On the other hand, if I launch DCS via SteamVR, I don't know if I'm using multithreading and the --force_OpenXR switch at all.
Is there a switch for a desktop shortcut to force VR mode? And could I just put the --force_OpenXR switch behind it?

Also, I don't know how to re-enable motion reprojection now via SteamVR. Previously, I turned it on via the OpenXR toolkit. That was a clear difference to look sideways out of the cockpit while flying low: without MR I see a double image, with MR it was smooth.
Since the OXR Toolkit does not run with SteamVR, I turned it on in the Steam settings, but see no difference at all. No matter what I do, I see double images when flying low.

44 minutes ago, Rufuz64 said:

Steam
DCS Open Beta
HP Reverb G2 -> WMR
OpenComposite so far

Am now but a little desperate. If I use the radio button "Play MT Preview" according to the instructions and then press play, the game starts in 2D. The same if I directly start the \DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe.
On the other hand, if I launch DCS via SteamVR, I don't know if I'm using multithreading and the --force_OpenXR switch at all.
Is there a switch for a desktop shortcut to force VR mode? And could I just put the --force_OpenXR switch behind it?

Also, I don't know how to re-enable motion reprojection now via SteamVR. Previously, I turned it on via the OpenXR toolkit. That was a clear difference to look sideways out of the cockpit while flying low: without MR I see a double image, with MR it was smooth.
Since the OXR Toolkit does not run with SteamVR, I turned it on in the Steam settings, but see no difference at all. No matter what I do, I see double images when flying low.

Right click Dcs in steam, go to launch options add -force_OpenXR. This should start the game in vr when you select start with MT.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Stupid question: how do I know how ,any cores of my R7-5800x3D have been used?

1 minute ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Stupid question: how do I know how ,any cores of my R7-5800x3D have been used?

Use some kind of telemetry programm, like HWinfo or Afterburner/RivaStatistics

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I have both HWInfo and AB, just dunno where to look, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I have both HWInfo and AB, just dunno where to look, thanks. 

Do you have second screen? Then let HWinfo run and expand the cpu to see the cores (maybe you need to adjust the show/hide data) whilst gaming.

Same for Afterburner, you can adjust which data is shown in the settings-monitoring tab. 

However, if you run the MT-bin exe, why would you doubt, that it runs multicore?

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Just to see how it fares…:)

In my Replay-Benchmark (4K, 2D, F-16 in Syria, no AI-Units, not particular CPU-heavy) the average FPS went from 79 to 94 with the MT-bin. Almost 20% gain isn‘t to bad. Thanks ED. 👍

AH64 instant action mission "Runway start" in Marianas. Just sitting on the ground went from 60 fps to 84 fps with the MT-bin.

Those are only snapshots but usually point in the general direction. So, so far it looks good to me. 

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

I have the same issue. I have a custom VR scene with no hangar and an F16,F18 and F14. I can just make out the outline of the F18 as it's all so dark, unless I stare right into the sun. This happens only with MT.

2 hours ago, Convexrook said:

Textures VR - Notice the floor? or it could be corrected illumination, other than sun bleeding though Bunker ? IDK!!

the desktop presentation is also different

Multi Thread

image.png

Single Thread

image.png

DCS World with MT is fu**ing awesome.

Getting a good perfomance boost in VR.

Thank you ED.

• Like 1

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Gunfreak:

Right click Dcs in steam, go to launch options add -force_OpenXR. This should start the game in vr when you select start with MT.

Problem was, with MT the game started in 2D.

Solved with a shortcut "..\bin-mt\DCS.exe --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR"

from below 40 fps to high 50  😮

• Like 1