Grass ???

is there any MODs for the grass....or has everyone just accepted. 2foot high blades of grass ????

• Like 7
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

Drives me up the wall as well...

There are many trailers where the grass i noticeably shorter... It might be reasonable to believe that some .lua file can be edited to this effect.  And no- we are talking about the slider in the graphic settings. It has to do with grass blades per square meter and height. It will cost perfirmance- but it would be great to have the option...

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 9:48 AM, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

Drives me up the wall as well...

There are many trailers where the grass i noticeably shorter... It might be reasonable to believe that some .lua file can be edited to this effect.  And no- we are talking about the slider in the graphic settings. It has to do with grass blades per square meter and height. It will cost perfirmance- but it would be great to have the option...

I think in 4K videos i watched the grass seems shorter !  (im on 2K).... Might not be a performance hit as shorter grass doesnt need to be visable as far !!.....maybe....who knows....but i agree its annoying

Edit:-  Nope my 4K solution is nonsense..........grass doesnt change per resolution

Edit 2:  found the .lua 🙂  time to play

Original

enabled = false, --if false - old grass will be drawn

lodsCount = 6,        --number of lods, the larger the number the thicker in front of the camera, maximum - 6
    radiusMin = 0,        --near lod radius
    radiusMax = 60,        --far lod radius
    grassDiameter = 200,--grass circle diameter, m
    quadSize = 0.400,        --grass cell size, m

grassHalfWidth = 0.0015*6,-- half the width of a blade of grass, m
    grassHeight = 0.5,    --maximum¤ average¤¤ height of a blade of grass, m
    bendDistMax = 0.25,    --maximum projection of the blade of grass to the side, m
    pointSpread = 1.2,    --scatter of blades of grass of one cell, like mete   

2k.jpg

Edited by Droning_On
  • Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

Grass is tripe....agree..

cant get the .lua to work either 😞

SpiIX306.jpg

Spitfire MkXVI MK850 1944.jpg

scan0002_edited-4.jpg

Spitfire-MkVb-RAF-64Sqn-SHQ-AAxxx-Normandy-1944-01.jpg

spitpic009.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2
Spoiler

Is the grass out of scale? Yes. 

Is it better than having no grass? Yes. If you don’t think so you can turn it off.

Would having scale grass impact performance? Yes. There’s a reason it’s a bit over scale. Halve it’s size and you double the polygons you need to cover the same area. Some one who knows more than you about DCS coding as determined that this is the best compromise. Don’t like it? Turn it off.

Of all the things to get ones knickers in a knot over, this one seems the most ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Is the grass out of scale? Yes. 

Is it better than having no grass? Yes. If you don’t think so you can turn it off.

Would having scale grass impact performance? Yes. There’s a reason it’s a bit over scale. Halve it’s size and you double the polygons you need to cover the same area. Some one who knows more than you about DCS coding as determined that this is the best compromise. Don’t like it? Turn it off.

Of all the things to get ones knickers in a knot over, this one seems the most ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Scotty Rotten said:

It's a thread about a map/landscape feature in a forum - literally - about landcape/texture mods. What's ridiculous is you having a problem with people just discussing it on - again - a forum.

You're right that this is a thread about a map/landscape feature in a modding forum, but the grass (as is) that we have in DCS is one of those things that is imediately perceived as a compromise. While he's a bit blunt, it's impossible to disagree with DD_Fenrir.

In times when people are buying high-end computers just to keep up with ever increasing DCS demands (GPU, CPU, RAM and SSD file swap, etc), to ask about minor features that will affect performance is a bit ridiculous. And grass, of all things!

It's a bit like complaining why aren't there 16K/8K textures for ground terrain and aicraft liveries, when in truth the current 4K/2K textures are already pushing over 12GB of VRAM usage in game (way beyond what any good mid-to-high range GPU can do)...

Maybe someone can come up with a modification that does not bork performance but, looking at the grass structure, it looks to me like what we have is the best possible compromise for now.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I don't think anyone was interested in a value assesment based on preference here. 

This is a modding section.

Specifically about terrain.

Modders mess with default files to make the game look better. There are many wonderful modders that have had great result with tinkering with textures and lua files as you know. Taz, Barthek and Mustang just to name a handful. There are many more. Some have even been baked in the base game.

This is a thread about the possibility to mod/tune/enhance the grass based on one's preference.

That it costs performance or that DD Fenrir deems it 'ridiculous'is totally irrelevant. How people mod their games is totally up to them.

It is a fair question, posted in the correct section.

• Like 9

hey :dunno:regardless, it's still a forum...

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• 5 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, Taz1004 said:

Grass used to be possible to be modified though files in Bazar/shaders/metashders/.  That folder as we know has been encrypted.

Is it not moved to  'Bazar/shaders/grass/grass.fx'? I remember i tweaked the lenght / height of the grass there. 

#define radiusMin		lodRadiusGrassDiameterSize.x //������ �������� ����
#define radiusMax		lodRadiusGrassDiameterSize.y //������ �������� ����
#define grassDiameter	lodRadiusGrassDiameterSize.z //������� ����� �����,  ������
#define quadSize		lodRadiusGrassDiameterSize.w //������ ������ �����

#define grassHalfWidth	grassBladeParams.x //�������� ������ ��������, 
#define grassHeight		grassBladeParams.y //����������� ������� ������ ��������, 
#define bendDistMax		grassBladeParams.z //������������ �������� ������� ��������  �������, 
#define pointSpread		grassBladeParams.w //������� �������� ����� ������, ��� �� �����

#define lodsCount		intParams.x //���������� �����
#define heightMapSize	intParams.y //������ ����� �����  ��������

#define time origin.w
#define windSpeed wind.z
#define windOffset gridOffset.zw

You can tinker with some settings and create a formula from the input of the game variables.

How it works is the shader takes the pixel color of the terrain texture and creates a gradient. This gradient "Texture" is applied to the color of the grass. The grass is merly a simple vertex with some additional bending points for animating the wind and create a curve in the grass blade.

Btw i didn't check if it breaks IC, i tweaked it in 2.7 i think. Don't know if this still works with 2.9

Edited by Branli
  • Like 1

And I came here looking to buy a pound!

Very disappointing!🤣

• Like 3

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 4 weeks later...