F-15E manual

Aero1995

1 hour ago, Scott-S6 said:

Malicious PDF files are absolutely a thing and have been a top ten malicious file type for web and email for over a year.

I agree, but I downloaded the PDF straight from its author's Dropbox and I did it because I trust him. Then I shared the same file with this community .. if they dont trust me, well they can wait for release while I enjoy studying the new aircraft before its release 👍

Edit: Its sad to see how the bastards that write malicious code have managed to get normal people to mistrust each other so much ... seems they have won 😞

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I agree, but I downloaded the PDF straight from its author's Dropbox and I did it because I trust him. Then I shared the same file with this community .. if they dont trust me, well they can wait for release while I enjoy studying the new aircraft before its release 👍

Edit: Its sad to see how the bastards that write malicious code have managed to get normal people to mistrust each other so much ... seems they have won 😞

Thing is it's not about trust, it's about how secure are those links as they can be redirected. Anyone in this day and age knows that cyber crime is real and common. Being careful means not clicking file links in forums.  

6 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

Malicious PDF files are absolutely a thing and have been a top ten malicious file type for web and email for over a year.

This. It's a sad world and the internet can be a dark place.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

They can just download it straight from the original link. It works just fine if you transfer it into your own account rather than download it from his (which you should always do as a matter of courtesy...)

And why the comment "do you believe that the pdf might somehow contain a virus?"? Of course they believe it might somehow contain a virus because that is absolutely a possibility. 

Edited by Scott-S6

@RAZBAM_ELMO

Just curious - it appears that Baltic down-sampled the images in the PDF during compression. Could someone tell them? The cockpit photos have unreadable/discernable details due to the artifacting.  Selecting non-compression on PDF export will dramatically increase file size- but it will also make the photos referenceable. 

On 6/16/2023 at 7:02 AM, Hoirtel said:

Thing is it's not about trust, it's about how secure are those links as they can be redirected. Anyone in this day and age knows that cyber crime is real and common. Being careful means not clicking file links in forums.  

I'd argue it is a trust issue. I got a copy from Baltic Dragon's Google Docs, linked by him personally, and also linked by him on his Discord. In that regard, I trust that the file is as virus infested as if it was hosted by ED (meaning not infested at all, hopefully 😄).

When BD's transfer limit was reached, you guys are free to trust that Rudel, I, and possibly others, shared the exact same file from alternate locations, or you can choose not to trust us and just wait until it either gets published on the ED site or until it is shipped with the F-15E in the docs folder.

I did include SHA1 and SHA256 sums with my mirror location and people should be able to compare those to the file they got from BD's Google Drive, but I'm not aware of anyone actually checking.

Not sure what you mean that those links can be redirected; https://tinyurl.com/f15manual-mirror redirects to https://www.yurgon.de/tmp/F-15E Manual 23.06.14.pdf and instead of changing the redirect, I could just change the file on my server. 😛

===========

All things considered, I'd say it's a courtesy on behalf of BD to share the file via an easy to use and very widespread service, and it's also a courtesy by forum and community members to help out and provide mirror locations as the primary went down. Anyone who's a bit cautious just needs to wait a little, nothing wrong with that. But the people here who asked that the manual be released via ED's site or not at all... jeez, just effing wait a couple days/weeks/whatever, guys, and simply don't download it until then. You'll even actually get the added bonus that a lot of issues with the manual will have been fixed by then courtesy of all the community members who already submitted them. 😉

Edited by Yurgon
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scott-S6 said:

And why the comment "do you believe that the pdf might somehow contain a virus?"? Of course they believe it might somehow contain a virus because that is absolutely a possibility. 

Ok, sorry for the comment, will take my link down to not bother anyone else and just unsubscribe from this thread as it is getting a bit annoying 🙄

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

19 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Ok, sorry for the comment, will take my link down to not bother anyone else and just unsubscribe from this thread as it is getting a bit annoying 🙄

Fwiw - scanned it and came out neg.  

Incredibly nit-picky, but small things sometimes help people from being confused.

• In some places in the manual the boxed numbers refer to the UFC Menu Button Number (PB) (or MFD PB)  (e.g. page 236 8.16.3 Autopilot Controls) 
  • In other places the Yellow boxed numbers refer to the step number in the explanation (page 239 8.16.3.2 Autopilot Altitude Hold mode)
  • In other places, its mix-up in the text (page 244 8.16.4.2. Heading Select Coupled Mode).  The text reads "boxed by pressing PB 3 (1).   Why not make that boxed Yellow number also be a 3 to match the PB number?

It would be good if it was more consistent with some type of differentiation between a PB and a Step Number.  Maybe a different color than always Yellow or a different Shape (circle and square)  

To be clear, do not do anything that takes time away from actually releasing the module.  Manuals can wait until two weeks after the module is released?

When is that by the way?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, plane_crazy242 said:

To be clear, do not do anything that takes time away from actually releasing the module.

I'm pretty sure Baltic Dragon doesn't work on the module itself, only on the manual. 😉

• Like 2

vor 20 Stunden schrieb freehand:

I asked my mummy to scan the file for me so I feel safe now thanks for the pdf.

You have a Mummy?!!! Where did you get it. 😉

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The manual is very much a Chuck's Guide with hyperlinks. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Alicatt:

Was that part of the Sinai map?

Heard there was a valley full of them 😉

I just could not resist... 😇

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)