Will Jester II be a grown up ?

Extranajero

I have been waiting for boring jester for YEARS and instead of adding the no nonsense mode that was advertised HB just keeps adding in more awful jokes that ruin my immersion in the middle of a dogfight. I really hope boring jester can be implemented before the F-4 release because while jester is an awesome tool for flying a 2 person jet solo his attitude is really off putting. 

For me petro is the perfect ai companion, he only talks when he needs to but his voice lines still express some emotion while giving key info.

• Like 2

Wow.
Of course the fact that someone would take personal offense from a scripted fictional computer character isn't the actual problem here... no....

Well, we're talking about an experienced hentai user, so what did you expect?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd like to say that Jester is one of the many reasons why the F-14 is (also) my favorite aircraft in DCS. I find the compromise HB found for it is very close to perfect for 99% of the F-14 A/B moments, and users of the module.

Yes, there is the odd silly comment by Jester that I'd rather live without, but I solved that for myself by "blanking" the audio files that I prefer not to listen to (though it does require going painfully through all the dozens of audio files, to see which is which...).

In that note, I'd like to request a simple thing to HB, so that in future this can be done easily by any user who is looking to "tone down" the ocasional silly nature of Jester.
Please make a separate folder inside "Mods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Jester" purposely placed with all the comical tone and silly remarks of Jester inside it.
This way, one can go straight to the point, look for those audio files and more easily move them (all or just some) somewhere else, or replace with blanks (whatever).
Then this whole story of the "grown up Jester" can be easily solved for the most part. 😉 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 4

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Having grown up in the 80s, and 90s, Jester is pretty tame.  Jester can't actually steal your lunch money.  He's fine how he is.

• Like 3

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

17 minutes ago, heloguy said:

Having grown up in the 80s, and 90s, Jester is pretty tame.  Jester can't actually steal your lunch money.  He's fine how he is.

I need jester to threaten me from the backseat. "If you miss the basket this time, I'm going to beat you with a sock full of soap bars tonight".

I guarantee you I will hit the basket with a 100% success rate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega417 said:

I need jester to threaten me from the backseat. "If you miss the basket this time, I'm going to beat you with a sock full of soap bars tonight".

I guarantee you I will hit the basket with a 100% success rate.

Really?  I had a guy in the barracks at Great Mistakes (A school) threaten me with a blanket party if I didn't wear green on St. Patrick's day in, I think, 1981, and I haven't worn green on that day ever since.  Of course 42 years later it's more a tongue in cheek habit, but that's where it started.

That was also the year my lead petty officer threatened us with BadThings(tm) if we didn't 'voluntarily' contribute to the CFC.  I never gave them a penny, even when the XO on the 85 west pac made me sit in his office to listen to his threats.

Different people respond differently  🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raisuli said:

Really?  I had a guy in the barracks at Great Mistakes (A school) threaten me with a blanket party if I didn't wear green on St. Patrick's day in, I think, 1981, and I haven't worn green on that day ever since.  Of course 42 years later it's more a tongue in cheek habit, but that's where it started.

That was also the year my lead petty officer threatened us with BadThings(tm) if we didn't 'voluntarily' contribute to the CFC.  I never gave them a penny, even when the XO on the 85 west pac made me sit in his office to listen to his threats.

Different people respond differently  🙃

Haha Im just joking around. Im the type of person who would hit the Drill Sgt if they got in my face and yelled at me, which is why I never joined.

*ALSO A JOKE I AM BEING A SMARTASS TODAY*

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tvrdi said:

I hope Jester v2.0 would be a noticable better in every way. Currently its a mess sometimes and under 15m he is more or less stupid calling enemies as friendlies from 4 miles etc.

Indeed he does call enemies friendlies if he's looking at the radar but I'm happy with his WVR call outs. I too hope this will be corrected.

I believe he never makes a mistake when calling out bandits that he sees.

On 10/8/2023 at 6:15 AM, SgtPappy said:

Indeed he does call enemies friendlies if he's looking at the radar but I'm happy with his WVR call outs. I too hope this will be corrected.

I believe he never makes a mistake when calling out bandits that he sees.

Problem in MP is that its not coalition based and he will call all "blue" jets friendly, while he calls "red" jets enemy. Which can be rather confusing when the F14 becomes a red (IRAF) jet. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bosun said:

It's official: 
Jester 2.0 will be whoever the heck you want him too - because, "We're going to make Jester 2.0 fully scriptable to the community during Early Access."  

Write him how you want him.  

Jester Spock.

Captain, it is illogical to fire sparrows at an unknown bogey. We must IFF.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 minute ago, Gunfreak said:

Jester Spock.

"D****it Jim! I'm just a co-pilot, not a navigator!" 

"Data, see what you can find on our adversary." / "Yes, captain."  

"Jester, lock him up!" / "Today is a good day to die!!!"  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bosun said:

It's official: 
Jester 2.0 will be whoever the heck you want him too - because, "We're going to make Jester 2.0 fully scriptable to the community during Early Access."  

Write him how you want him.  

Like I said. We really listen to you guys. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

25 minutes ago, IronMike said:

TuesdayReleaseTuesdayReleaseTuesdayRelease

#worthashot

41 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Jester Spock.

Can you imagine Worf as a co-pilot? 

"There is an incoming Sam Launch. Turn towards it and we shall face our enermy."  hahaha

"He is on our 6'oclcock.  This is a disgrace." 

"I shall eject, and fight him face to face. Draw your weapon and prepare for canopy release." 

• Like 3

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Dnil:

that in game manual is game changing, especially in VR.  bravo!

Yes! Usually the manual is quite obvious in its explanation, but most of the time is spend searching the correct page. To have it ingame from the switch itself is amazing!

vor 13 Stunden schrieb IronMike:

Tbh yeah, its like you guys have taken all the feedback and put it into Jester 2. Im loving this; the F-14 convinced me that an AI backseater can be alright, but this is going a long way to fix the remaining minor issues, as well as adding new capabilities and make him a useful tool to work with 😊

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bosun said:

Can you imagine Worf as a co-pilot? 

"There is an incoming Sam Launch. Turn towards it and we shall face our enermy."  hahaha

"He is on our 6'oclcock.  This is a disgrace." 

"I shall eject, and fight him face to face. Draw your weapon and prepare for canopy release." 

so fun... until the Nth repetition. 😛

• Like 1

From the F-4E trailer it's disappointing Jester not only uses the same voice but the acting sounds wooden and robotic. "How much fuel do you want TO TAKE on." Normal human speaking would sound more like 'wanna take on' or 'want ta take on' not the over enunciated steppy "Want... To... Take... On?

A simple solution to add more flavour and variation to Jester 2.0 would be a VOICE PITCH SLIDER in the new Character Customization interface.

Sort of how they did it with the first Operation Flashpoint. Giving us opportunity of small variations without taking away from the original voice acting and the need to re-record a massive sound library.

Nothing against original Jester, but after all these years hearing exactly the same voice gets a bit repetitive and not very exciting.

Edited by Schmidtfire
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 5:05 PM, Schmidtfire said:

A simple solution to add more flavour and variation to Jester 2.0 would be a VOICE PITCH SLIDER in the new Character Customization interface.

Sort of how they did it with the first Operation Flashpoint. Giving us opportunity of small variations without taking away from the original voice acting and the need to re-record a massive sound library.

Nothing against original Jester, but after all these years hearing exactly the same voice gets a bit repetitive and not very exciting.

Good idea

Maybe the JESTER speech speed can be customized too (faster or slower) or even we can ask him to repeat some sentences. Sometimes non native english speaker have problems understanding him.

And the chance to activate subtitles for JESTER sentences would be much appreciated

Regards