Can you A-A refuel in DCS poll?

Stratos

How many of you can A-A refuel and how many cannot?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Can you A-A refuel on DCS?

• - Yeah, I can do it
    • - No, I cannot

Once you get your controls setup and adjusted, all you need then is pratice and patience and you will get there.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Yeah but as real pilots have said. It's much easier IRL as the jet pretty much feels locked into place and doesn't deviate massively by slight movements.  I think Mover said that once under the wing you don't really need to do much in terms of stability. Which isn't the case in DCS as far as I can tell. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

lol   but  the  f-18  aar  is  so much  easier  than  the  viper,  tomcat,  and  the  f15e 🙂

Depends, I tought myself the Viper and the Hornet at the same time. Was easier to get plugged at first, but harder to stay connected. As soon as I learned to plug it myself, it was waaaay easier to stay plugged. 

No one seems to mention the Su-33. That has to be the easiest one to learn in I did find out. It has a special refueling mode I found out by accident, and the lights on the pod makes it very easy to stay connected. And if you target the tanker with IRST. Damn you've got all the info you need right in your face. 🤭 

I find the Hornet more annoying to AAR in than the Tomcat and the Viper. I have to concentrate more. The Hornet - at least with my controls setup -  has a rather sensitive pitch axis. So don't even look at the stick wrong. 😉 Don't breathe on it. And certainly don't sneeze. 😄 

The Mudhen also requires more concentration on the task of AAR-ing. Generally, I find that in the F-15E I really have to work more during formation flying (especially with the erratic AI) than in any other module I own (throttle management). Especially a decently loaded Mudhen (full tanks, two bags, 4 MK-84) going M 0.85 at 25K requires almost full military power, so it tends to jump in and out of burner. So, station keeping requires more work. In the Tomcat and Viper it's a breeze. 

I will check out what WinWing has in stock once the summer is over. I certainly could do with a better throttle setup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pete_auau said:

lol   but  the  f-18  aar  is  so much  easier  than  the  viper,  tomcat,  and  the  f15e 🙂

As someone who can also do AAR in the Viper in both this sim and that other Viper sim, I disagree.

With the boom you only need hold formation with the tanker and the boom operator does the work.  With the basket all the work is done by the pilot.  The boom is only harder in DCS because its porked.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I'm better at it in some aircraft compared to others (main problem I have is in the Tomcat with the canopy bow in exactly the wrong place - kind of a pain when you don't have head tracking).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm better at it in some aircraft compared to others (main problem I have is in the Tomcat with the canopy bow in exactly the wrong place - kind of a pain when you don't have head tracking).
Yeah! Especially when you hooking up with the Viking. I use a three position switch to bring the the seat all the way down.
Any reason you don't have head tracking? You're UK based, and the pricing of the Delanclip won't kill you! Not super necessary for AAR if you can see the tanker from the default position actually.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Any reason you don't have head tracking? You're UK based, and the pricing of the Delanclip won't kill you! Not super necessary for AAR if you can see the tanker from the default position actually.

I did use to have TrackIR5 (w/ the track clip pro) on my old, old system (which was built around 2013), I replaced that with a Dell XPS 15 9570 sort of mid 2018 where it didn't work so well (mostly due to the screen size), so I let my younger brother have it and I just managed without it. That laptop died late February of this year, which was replaced by my new system around late March, but without a GPU - so I haven't played DCS since then. Once I have my system fully complete I'll probably just nick my Track IR5 back.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

16 hours ago, pete_auau said:

The F-16 is by far the easier for me. Hornet is nearly the hardest.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

15 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Depends, I tought myself the Viper and the Hornet at the same time. Was easier to get plugged at first, but harder to stay connected. As soon as I learned to plug it myself, it was waaaay easier to stay plugged. 

No one seems to mention the Su-33. That has to be the easiest one to learn in I did find out. It has a special refueling mode I found out by accident, and the lights on the pod makes it very easy to stay connected. And if you target the tanker with IRST. Damn you've got all the info you need right in your face. 🤭 

+ one extra thing with the Su-33: you can use the auto-throttle during air refueling. Once it's on, you can increase/decrease airspeed in very small increments (1 km/h?) with the mapped key/button binds. Basically, if you get too far ahead, press the minus button to decrease the held speed, if you get too far back, press the plus button... A bit like car cruise control...

• Like 1

+ one extra thing with the Su-33: you can use the auto-throttle during air refueling. Once it's on, you can increase/decrease airspeed in very small increments (1 km/h?) with the mapped key/button binds. Basically, if you get too far ahead, press the minus button to decrease the held speed, if you get too far back, press the plus button... A bit like car cruise control...
Ha! You learn something new every day! Didn't even know it had that. Gotta check it out!
Thanks!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I can with the F-16 and F/A-18. Haven't tried any other aircraft. I also only play VR. I find the 18 easier.

The only "issue" with AAR in DCS is that you can't feel the wake from the tanker. I was talking about it with a real pilot a couple of weeks ago and he explained how you kind of ride the wake. You can feel when you start getting too slow.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wake turbulence in DCS is really good, it's a very detailed physics-based simulation (albeit with limited cell resolution for performance reasons). The problem here is that barring a seat shaker of some kind, we don't feel those subtle cues, and thus the first thing about it is when it starts visibly bouncing your plane around. IRL you get some warning before it gets to that point.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

You can enable wake turbulence but it's porked.

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Wake turbulence in DCS is really good, it's a very detailed physics-based simulation (albeit with limited cell resolution for performance reasons). The problem here is that barring a seat shaker of some kind, we don't feel those subtle cues, and thus the first thing about it is when it starts visibly bouncing your plane around. IRL you get some warning before it gets to that point.

Thank you. I did not know that was available in DCS. I'll try it out. 

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well I have buttkicker so maybe I enable turbulence and report back.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.