VKB HOTAS, Phase One

AeroGator

VKB HOTAS, Phase One

As you can see, something has changed on the way from blueprints to mass production.

Name.

TECS turned into STECS.

1 - throttle.jpg

TWIN ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM has effectively become Single|Twin Engine Control System.

Here is why. Left and right grips can be used separately as well as in one, in case you don’t need differential thrust. Moreover, as this throttle is built following VKB modular principle, it wouldn’t be a big surprise to soon see a replace mono grip.

Let’s see what STECS is made of.

2 - STECS.jpg

1 – Base

• Axis – 2 (blockable in one), on contactless MaRS (magnetic-resistance sensors)
  • 4 Ball bearings on main axes
  • Glass-reinforced plastic in all loaded structural parts
  • Independent adjustable clutches on both axes
  • Button – 2
  • 5-position rotary switch – 1

2 – Left Grip aka MTG-L, or Modern Throttle Grip Left

• Button – 2
  • Trigger – 2
  • Wheel encoder – 2

3 – Right Grip aka MTG-R, or Modern Throttle Grip Right

• Trigger – 2
  • Analog Ministick – 1
  • Analog Wheel Axis – 1
  • Button – 1
  • Button Module* – 5

4 – ATEM aka Auxiliary Throttle Extension Module

3 - ATEM_1800.jpg

• Button – 4
  • Safety lid protected button – 2
  • Multifunctional 4-position encoder with a central press – 1

5 – STEM aka Standard Throttle Extension Module

4 - STEM.jpg

• Button – 8
  • K-switch (3-button) – 2
  • Encoder with a press – 2
  • Self-centering 3-position flip switch – 1
  • 3-position flip switch – 1

___ ___ ___

* Button Module

5 - STECS_button.jpg

There are 3 different interchangeable Button Modules

• long-travel button
  • 3-pos hat
  • 4-pos hat with a press (5-pos hat)

(the latter one comes with caps of different shapes for better tactile differentiation)

Replacing the module is pretty straightforward. The on-board controller detects and configures the new module automatically.

___ ___ ___

Phase One STECS base is equipped with a well-engineered and user-friendly system of detents that can be easily installed within a minute or two.

Detents are made of durable metal alloy. There are 5 different types of detents:

• L-shape – unidirectional regular, and unidirectional large. creates a step on one side of the lever movement.
  • V-shape – bi-directional regular, and bi-directional large. Creates a step on both sides of the lever movement.
  • M-shape – bi-directional with a centering indent.

Detents are fixed to a special frame (detent holder) with one screw and a special nut. For your convenience these frames are color-coded. After fixing the detent, all you need to do is rotate the multi-positional switch till the LED indicator shines right color (say, you fixed the detent to a blue frame, then keep rotating the switch till the LED shines blue). Done! The controller will automatically load the profile you configured for “blue” detent.

In other words. You changed the aircraft (or even switched to a different game). Replace the frame, dial in the right color, boom! – your profile is loaded. Fly and enjoy in less than one minute.

This is what makes the difference, you see.

Many commercially available throttles are designed, and ergonomically optimized, for use with a certain type of flying machines. However, STECS offers a more universal solution thanks to its modularity and customizability.

Needless to say, STECS is compatible with GNX EVO extension modules.

___ ___ ___

We gave our full attention to tactile feeling of this control device. Soft and comfy replaceable rubber inserts reduce slipperiness of naked material and ensure better grip. Same goes about encoder wheels and buttons: all of them have rubberized inserts.

Smooth and non-sticky movement of the throttle axes is supported by adjustable independent clutches.

Combining this multitude of modules, you can create hundreds of different configurations for your own personal needs.

However, for your convenience, and to save time, we prepared 4 STECS versions based of functionality and price (needless to say, modules can be bought separately, and any version can be upgraded to whatever you want it to be).

___ ___ ___

STECS MINI

6 - STECS_Mini_1800.jpg

• Made to be used on a holder, or to be built in a chair or cockpit. Due to its lightweight aluminum base needs to be fixed to the desk top if you use it as a desktop standalone device (for that the base has 4 holes).

Configuration:

• STECS base
  • MTG-L
  • MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 4; 5-pos Hat – 1)
  • Gray rubber grip pads
  • Detent Frame – 1
  • L-shape detent regular – 1
  • L-shape detent large – 1
  • V-shape detent regular – 1
  • V-shape detent large – 1

PLEASE NOTE: as this version is designed mainly to be built-in or to be fixed on holders, it does NOT have fixtures to mechanically connect frontal extension modules with MFH (MultiFunctional Holder).

STECS MINI PLUS

7 - STECS_Mini_Plus_1800.jpg

• Based on a solid steel platform. Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. Has MFH-compatible fixtures to connect frontal extension modules.

Configuration:

• STECS base
  • MTG-L
  • MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 4; 5-pos Hat – 1)
  • Gray rubber grip pads
  • Detent Frame – 1
  • L-shape detent regular – 1
  • L-shape detent large – 1
  • V-shape detent regular – 1
  • V-shape detent large – 1
  • ATEM module

STECS STANDARD

8 - STECS_Standard_1800.jpg

• Based on a solid steel platform (fixing holes compatible with that of TM HOTAS Warthog). Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. Has MFH-compatible fixtures to connect frontal extension modules.

Configuration:

• STECS base
  • MTG-L
  • MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 2; 3-pos Hat – 1; 5-pos Hat – 2)
  • Additional Button Modules included in the kit: Button – 3; 5-pos Hat – 3; replaceable hat caps - 3
  • Red rubber grip pads (pre-installed)
  • Green, Gray rubber pads included in the kit
  • Detent Frame – 5
  • L-shape detent regular – 4
  • L-shape detent large – 4
  • V-shape detent regular – 5
  • V-shape detent large – 5
  • M-shape – 2
  • STEM module

STECS MAX

9 - STECS Max.jpg

• Based on a solid steel platform. Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. MFH to connect a frontal extension module included in the kit.

Configuration:

• STECS base
  • MTG-L
  • MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 2; 3-pos Hat – 1; 5-pos Hat – 2)
  • Additional Button Modules included in the kit: Button – 3; 5-pos Hat – 3; replaceable hat caps - 3
  • Red rubber grip pads (pre-installed)
  • Green, Gray rubber pads included in the kit
  • Detent Frame – 5
  • L-shape detent regular – 4
  • L-shape detent large – 4
  • V-shape detent regular – 5
  • V-shape detent large – 5
  • M-shape – 2
  • ATEM module
  • STEM module (to be installed on MFH on the front of the device)

___ ___ ___

But like we said, modularity rules… so nothing will be able to stop you from buying small, and adding up to your setup step by step. (nothing except express mail fees! so keep this in mind please). All modules, rubber inserts, detents and detent frames will be available separately, too.

STAY ORGANIZED

10 - STECS_1800_05.jpg

Large number of small parts can lead to a nightmarish situation when you need to find a detent, and…. you know. We thought about it. STECS Accessory Magazine will take it off your shoulders. All your button modules, detent frames, detents, will be neatly stored and always ready to serve exactly where you put them. STECS Accessory Magazine is included in STECS Standard and STECS Max kits.

___ ___ ___

Now, the prose of life. PRICES!

RRP:

• STECS MINI                       $199
  • STECS MINI PLUS             $219
  • STECS STANDARD            $279
  • STECS MAX                       $319

Availability: AUGUST, 2023. (although most of our patent applications are already approved we still need one to get properly registered; it won’t stop the show but due procedure has to be followed)

Now that you know pretty much everything about STECS, you might be wondering, What Joystick would be a perfect match? – and there is something we have to say, as we have just got done with another chunk of work…

GUNFIGHTER IV is here.

Gunfighter III was around for almost 4 years, and all this time we were collecting feedback and suggestions.
We’ve worked on it, and added a few improvements to the design.

11 - STECS_1800_07.jpg

Gunfighter IV looks just like Gunfighter III, the difference is under the hood.

1. New generation clutch. No stiction soft start, and extra smooth movement.
  2. Spring pre-tighteners. Before, the load was determined by the spring you had to install; now you have a lot more wide, yet precise control over it.
  3. Blackbox Mk3. This is a new version of our powerful external controller. Increased frequency and on-board firmware algorithms drastically boosted productivity. The controller became truly intelligent. Unlike before, when different external devices required flashing the Blackbox with different firmware, now it automatically detects connected devices and configures them.
  4. New type of the connector (Rev. C) between the base and the grip. Its round shape allows rotation of the grip without the risk of damaging the contacts. Gold-plated contacts provide extended longevity.

12 - STECS_1800_01.jpg

Current Gunfighter III owners are not left behind though; two upgrade for them will soon be rolled out:

• Connector replacement kit, and
  • Full upgrade kit GF III -> GF IV

13 - GF.jpg

Availability:

• USA – end of July 2023
  • EU – on arrival of the sea shipment (already on the way); airlift option is also open;
  • Australia, South Korea – shipments have already begun.

So…. Here is a full HOTAS set from VKB. If you want to know more about VKB products, please visit our Youtube channel. We believe it will bring you enjoyment beyond comparison, because with VKB this Universe is yours.

14 - STECS_1800_03.jpg

• Like 8

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

43 minutes ago, AeroGator said:

EU – on arrival of the sea shipment (already on the way); airlift option is also open;

What is airlift in that context? Is there asian store like aliexpress where it can be ordered?
And yes - nice, very nice. Looking forward to get to next phase(s).

6 hours ago, bjdy said:

But about the detent. Is it mechanical or electronic? "Detent frame", what is that excactly?

Detents are mechnaical, the plan since early 2021 was multiple phases (hence Phase One in the title) with mechanical detents coming first and electronic detents and linear/rails action coming in later phases.

One of the pictures about halfway down shows the detent frames. They're multi-colored. Sounds like you can set different detents on different frames, and then with just a single screw swap them out.  The software should know what color frame you've added and apply settings specific to that frame.

Edited by b34k
Accidental submit
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, b34k said:

Detents are mechnaical, the plan since early 2021 was multiple phases (hence Phase One in the title) with mechanical detents coming first and electronic detents and linear/rails action coming in later phases.

One of the pictures about halfway down shows the detent frames. They're multi-colored. Sounds like you can set different detents on different frames, and then with just a single screw swap them out.  The software should know what color frame you've added and apply settings specific to that frame.

Thanks for a nice explanation 🙂

Now even I understand it...

These will sell like hotcakes, I bet! 🙂

I suspect the STECS MINI PLUS (or STANDARD) will probably become one of the standard throttles of recommendation for a nice HOTAS combo.

Nicely done, VKB!

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Been waiting a long time for these to be release. But I think I'll wait a little longer to see what phase two has to offer, before I make a purchase.

• Like 2

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

2 hours ago, Outlaw24 said:

Been waiting a long time for these to be release. But I think I'll wait a little longer to see what phase two has to offer, before I make a purchase.

Same.

One disappointment for me is there are no more lever axis to the sides of the throttles. The preview image of TECS years ago had a lever on each side, which was perfect imo. Warbirds, F-14, Harrier, etc.. for lots of modules there's a benefit to having at least one extra lever to go along with the main throttles.

Like with the preview version of TECS and the F-14, the left outside lever perfect for flaps, and right outside lever perfect for wing sweep. Now with STECS we have 2 buttons and a 5 position rotary on the right? Much less useful imo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FalcoNg said:

Have any of these gone out to youtubers to see some hands on opinions prior to release?

Trust me - would be much better to see reviews from regular everyday users in these forums.

• Like 5

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Duke Nukem Forever (for those old enough to remember). Took forever, had many delays, did come out in the end, but was no better than ok/decent in the end. 

Minuses (focusing on the Stecs Mini and mini plus, but applies generally) :

-Plastic-fantastic Fisher Price toy design. This is no "looks like it came straight from a jet" like the Warthog and Winwing.

-No side lever like on TM Warthog, Winwing Orion, VPC CM3 (see posts above). Rudimentary base - both function and design wise.

-Super generic in button layout and labels. The designers are no DCS aficionados, that's for sure. Leagues behind the Orion.

-Priced at near Winwing and Warthog level which is just silly. Why choose STECS' budget look, build and function?

I'm sure it will be good mechanically, but so is CH Pro Throttle, which seems to be the real benchmark for STECS. 

• Like 5

On 7/21/2023 at 7:02 AM, Katmandu said:

Duke Nukem Forever (for those old enough to remember). Took forever, had many delays, did come out in the end, but was no better than ok/decent in the end. 

Meh, I disagree. I think there's a lot to be excited about here, to the point where I'm contemplating sale of my Virpiil CM3 to pick one up (though I will wait for some hands-on reviews first).

Some things I'm excited about:

+ Swapable detent frames. I never change the detents on my CM3 because it's just too much work. I keep an 16C-like setup with Idle cutoff and afterburner at all times, but then I have to do some major software changes to get things working for planes like warbirds, or in other games like IL-2, or Microsoft Flight Sim.  This solves that by being able to swap between 5 detent setups with a single thumbscrew.

+ Onboard profiles swapping. When I swap my detents, I can swap to other profiles, which not only might have axis to button settings, but might change curves, how the encoders work, button temp settings, or a myriad of other things.

+ Button Modules. I really don't like how hardware companies seem to have gone towards the "turn everything into a 5-way hat" model. I don't know personally how often I'll be swapping these, they might just end up set and forgot (like my Virpil Detents), but being able to get things set up in ways that make sense (like a 3 way for speed break, which is currently on a 5-way with my Virpil, with 2 unused functions).  I'm also hoping they'll have additional module designs down the line (sliding switch module please!)

+ Ergonomics. I've always found the virpil throttle to be to big to grip comfortably, with too many controls to easily reach all of them. This looks like a much tighter layout, in a more hand-sized head.  Also the rubberized grip should feel super nice if it's anything like the MCG Ultimate. I don't know of anyone else producing a rubberized grip for the throttle.

Just generally, this seems like a nice bit of kit if you, like me, like to fly a lot of different things. That's why I went Virpil over Winwing (I mean who's really going to be swapping back and forth between the F18 and F16 grips on the Winwing?) And this just seem to increase the flexibility by an order of magnitude over Virpil.

I will say though, there's a few things I agree with you on.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:02 AM, Katmandu said:

-Plastic-fantastic Fisher Price toy design. This is no "looks like it came straight from a jet" like the Warthog and Winwing.

-No side lever like on TM Warthog, Winwing Orion, VPC CM3 (see posts above). Rudimentary base - both function and design wise.

The design for the 2 base modules is not at all exciting. They look too much like their mid-range NXT line and are missing an analog lever or 2. I'd love to see some beefy SH T80-T toggles on there. And the Virpil buttons have way better feel than these (if they feel the same as the NXT). Since it's modular though, I hope they're planning on producing some premium bases that we can swap this out for down the line.

In general, I think if you're only flying one plane regularly and Winwing makes a replica throttle for it, go with Winwing.  But if you like to jump around to a bunch of different modules or sims, this seems like it will be the winner for simplifying that process without having to own multiple devices.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:44 PM, sun4eg said:

What is airlift in that context? Is there asian store like aliexpress where it can be ordered?
And yes - nice, very nice. Looking forward to get to next phase(s).

Airlift is express air shipment in case EU shop has no stock of this item. More expensive because of the shipment component of the price, but faster.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I've been waiting for this before the throttle upgrade, but this might be it. I don't mind the plastic, really, if it is built well, of course. But I like the layout of the things there - something I wasn't that sure on the Virpil throttle. Now, the price for the max version seems very good, actually - and with it, we get a lot of buttons. Sure, the minimalistic base is... well, minimalistic, but the extension seems fine. Yes, it's kind of NXT level, but that's fine for me. I fly multiple planes and I want the flexibility.

Yes, I'd welcome to have a bit wider product with a few additional axes/levers, but I was afraid I may not like (S)TECS when it would come out. And I like what I see. 🙂 Looking forward to it, I'll wait for a few reviews, of course, but this really may be it. Thanks for the good work, VKB!

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 2

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, virgo47 said:

I've been waiting for this before the throttle upgrade, but this might be it. I don't mind the plastic, really, if it is built well, of course. But I like the layout of the things there - something I wasn't that sure on the Virpil throttle. Now, the price for the max version seems very good, actually - and with it, we get a lot of buttons. Sure, the minimalistic base is... well, minimalistic, but the extension seems fine. Yes, it's kind of NXT level, but that's fine for me. I fly multiple planes and I want the flexibility.

Yes, I'd welcome to have a bit wider product with a few additional axes/levers, but I was afraid I may not like (S)TECS when it would come out. And I like what I see. 🙂 Looking forward to it, I'll wait for a few reviews, of course, but this really may be it. Thanks for the good work, VKB!

I agree. Plus, I‘m really satisfied with the quality of my Gunfighter & my sticks, having used them for years now. 
I‘m interested in the MkIV Gunfighter base as well, as I would like to have the ability to just swap sticks, without having to flash my blackbox first. 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have full Virpil setup and i would definitely sell my gear for a full standard throttle and the new Gunfighter But when in stock is the Question . ?? UK . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I have a couple of questions about the STEM module that comes with the Standard throttle.

Which is the Self-centering 3-position flip switch? Is that the metal toggle?

Does that mean it doesn't stay in position when you flip it up or down but returns to centre?

Is it possible to configure it like a 3-way toggle, so that it stays in place - up, down and centre?

Is the 3-position flip switch the grey plastic one below the metal toggle?

Does it come with interchangeable detents like those on the GNX SEM?

Can the detent be removed so that it can be configured as an axis, like those on the GNX SEM?

Thanks.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

The self-centering switch is metal and has 2 temporary positions, up and down. It reverts to center position if not held.

The 3 position flip switch is similar with SEM's, it does not come with spare detents blocks, but it could get the detent block removed and be programmed as an axis.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the STECS Standard, along with a Multi-Function Holder and Vertical Side Extension Module. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my WW  Orion 2. My plan is to use the landing gear and flaps levers on the extension module and to configure the flaps lever on the STECS as an axis and use it for things like Harrier nozzles, F-14 wing sweep, warbirds mixture control, etc. Plus, all the other buttons combined should give me enough options for all other bindings.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Had been looking to upgrade HOTAS and had previously been looking at VKB NXT EVO to replace the T16000m Flight Controller and the STECS popped up, tempted to give the Mini a try, I have the T16000m. I fly in VR most of the time, I'm leaning towards the STECS Mini or maybe the plus if it makes sense to upgrade, anyone have experience with these yet? 

My STECS Standard has arrived. That was quick! Shipping took less than a week. 🙂 I'm still waiting for the SEM extension module to arrive though - that's due Monday. In the meantime I'm looking forward to setting up the throttle and seeing how it compares to the WW Orion 2.

• Like 1

BTW: Enigma has a good video review on his YouTube channel with some interesting thoughts and solutions, e.g. encoder to axis, etc. Compares it with Virpil Throttle CM3.

I'm still waiting for EU pricing, I hope it will not be that off from US (+VAT of course), because in US prices the value is very good (even if I add ~20% for VAT).

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube