How will this affect DCS? AMD Officially Announces FSR 3; Will Support Every DX11/ DX12 Game

MIghtymoo
Go to solution Solved by Maverick87Shaka,

6 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

AMD Officially Announces FSR 3; Will Support Every DX11/ DX12 Game

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-amd-reveals-long-awaited-fsr-3-tech-and-frame-gen-for-every-dx11dx12-game

How will this affect DCS?

In a recent video ED shows nvidia DLSS in action, so probably DLSS will be the Super Sampling technology that will be official supported by DCS.
I'm not expecting that they are going to implement/develop and support also the FSR.

If the FSR can be "enabled" just by OS driver, without any kind of implementation required by the software, you'll be able to use it with DCS, but I'm not sure it will be like this to be honest.

I believe some kind of implementation it will be required to make FSR work without glitches or any other unwanted effects.

Please also note that it looks like the future of DCS will be with Vulkan API, and not with DX11/12.

• Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

In a recent video ED shows nvidia DLSS in action, so probably DLSS will be the Super Sampling technology that will be official supported by DCS.
I'm not expecting that they are going to implement/develop and support also the FSR.

If the FSR can be "enabled" just by OS driver, without any kind of implementation required by the software, you'll be able to use it with DCS, but I'm not sure it will be like this to be honest.
I believe some kind of implementation it will be required to make FSR work without glitches or any other unwanted effects.

Please also note that it looks like the future of DCS will be with Vulkan API, and not with DX11/12.

Not sure Nvidia DLSS is the official super sampling technology ED is going to implement. I believe it was also said that AMD FSR would also be implemented at a later date. I could be wrong but ED has always been reluctant in favouring a specific brand

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• Solution
11 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Not sure Nvidia DLSS is the official super sampling technology ED is going to implement. I believe it was also said that AMD FSR would also be implemented at a later date. I could be wrong but ED has always been reluctant in favouring a specific brand

From official newsletter, NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 is coming to DCS World.
It was also the very first shoot of the 2023 & Beyond video:
image.png

It's also mentioned that they will take a look at AMD FSR just after put in place the DLSS, but it's not really a planned feature so far, we need to wait further confirmation on this.

Edited by Maverick87Shaka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

I recall the DLSS 2.0 news letter 🙂

Specifically I am wondering if FSR 3 will automatically be supported by DCS (as AMD is indirectly advertising in their promo video).

They state "every" GPU and "all" DirectX 11/12 titles...

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

There are two types of FSR. One has to be implemented in the game, just like Nvidia frame interpolation. The other one, the "dumb" one, will be available in all DX11 games, but of course it won't look as good, will be more likely to mess up UI etc.

Either way it's not really tech for people who struggle to get to 60 Hz, but if your rig already can offer decent performance you can use frame interpolation to go beyond that without actually having to push twice the frames

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere that FSR is going to be implemented later for Vulkan, but DirectX support will be revoked as @Maverick87Shaka mentioned.

• Like 1

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere that FSR is going to be implemented later for Vulkan, but DirectX support will be revoked as @Maverick87Shaka mentioned.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't really sure of the exact details but I kind of got the hint both graphic card brands super sampling technology would be worked on.

FSR 3 with DCS:

Any sort of help to get good performance in dcs would be welcome. For whatever it will be worth when it comes, FSR 3 has that universal appeal as all graphic can get to use it. One aspect of DLSS that is not so good is that it locks out other brands graphic card.

Looking forward to the directx implementation of fsr 3.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

18 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't really sure of the exact details but I kind of got the hint both graphic card brands super sampling technology would be worked on.

FSR 3 with DCS:

Any sort of help to get good performance in dcs would be welcome. For whatever it will be worth when it comes, FSR 3 has that universal appeal as all graphic can get to use it. One aspect of DLSS that is not so good is that it locks out other brands graphic card.

Looking forward to the directx implementation of fsr 3.

the driver-only implementation of FSR 3 will not have access to motion vector data from the game. i think it will be of limited usefulness for DCS tbh.
it's a moot point anyway, since DCS will get a proper FSR implementation in the future, which will be significantly better than a driver-only approach. from my understanding, implementation of FSR is "relatively" easy. so i think the biggest reason, we have not seen it yet, is that ED wants to roll it out post vulcan, to not have to implement it twice...

• Like 3

the driver-only implementation of FSR 3 will not have access to motion vector data from the game. i think it will be of limited usefulness for DCS tbh.
it's a moot point anyway, since DCS will get a proper FSR implementation in the future, which will be significantly better than a driver-only approach. from my understanding, implementation of FSR is "relatively" easy. so i think the biggest reason, we have not seen it yet, is that ED wants to roll it out post vulcan, to not have to implement it twice...

Make sense to wait till Vulcan is implemented since that would the platform DLSS and frs would be based

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 10:37 AM, Maverick87Shaka said:

Sometime in the last couple of years there were many requests and questions to ED regarding DLSS implementation. Most of these questions revolved around DCS customers and users deciding which GPU to buy, either AMD or Nvidia.

At the time (and feel free to search for the thread) the answer from ED was 'DLSS is specific to Nvidia and we don't implement technologies which are dependant on one manufacturer'

Based on this response, many customers opted for AMD GPU's, myself included.

Now fast forward to today and ED have decided to support DLSS, which is totally fine. HOWEVER, based on the previous responses from ED regarding this issue, it would not be very fair to the rest of the user base who went AMD to not support FSR 2/3 correctly as well.

To simply dismiss users asking about FSR in your post is not consistent with previous ED statements on this very forum.

1 hour ago, Canada_Moose said:

To simply dismiss users asking about FSR in your post is not consistent with previous ED statements on this very forum.

It was just my personal supposition based the latest information available at that time, and the fact that normally developers tends to support just one kind of SuperSampling technology for several reason.
I'll be super happy if ED can support both technology, and maybe (🤐) we'll have both technology available in the near future 😉

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

2 hours ago, Canada_Moose said:

Sometime in the last couple of years there were many requests and questions to ED regarding DLSS implementation. Most of these questions revolved around DCS customers and users deciding which GPU to buy, either AMD or Nvidia.

At the time (and feel free to search for the thread) the answer from ED was 'DLSS is specific to Nvidia and we don't implement technologies which are dependant on one manufacturer'

Based on this response, many customers opted for AMD GPU's, myself included.

Now fast forward to today and ED have decided to support DLSS, which is totally fine. HOWEVER, based on the previous responses from ED regarding this issue, it would not be very fair to the rest of the user base who went AMD to not support FSR 2/3 correctly as well.

Yeah, you should read the newsletters... It literally says they will be adding FSR support AFTER DLSS.. 

• Like 1

⬆️⬆️⬆️🤣😂😅

• Like 2
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Barao said:

I just changed my PC, I was going to buy an RX 6800 or 6750 xt which have good prices in Brazil...

🙄😬

with your Sig spec... push your cash as high as you can ie above rx6800/6750xt...  Im on 6700xt and get a good performance but just wish I had a little extra

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

44 minutes ago, Braunn said:

FSR 3 works with DCS. Just apply it in adrenaline and do whats instructed in the AMD software. Definitely a performance increase for me. 6800XT 5800X. 

No it doesn't, whatever you enabled was not FSR2 or FSR3.

But would you mind sharing what you enabled?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Braunn said:

FSR 3 works with DCS. Just apply it in adrenaline and do whats instructed in the AMD software. Definitely a performance increase for me. 6800XT 5800X. 

The one avalible on Adrenaline is FSR 1, not 2 or 3

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 10/3/2023 at 6:54 AM, Comstedt86 said:

No it doesn't, whatever you enabled was not FSR2 or FSR3.

But would you mind sharing what you enabled?

RSR is the same algorithm as FSR. Enable RSR, whatever sharpening you can use and downscale the native resolution in game to what's prompted. Double check that GPU scaling is enabled. It should automatically be enabled when running RSR. If you have a Intel/AMD system you won't benefit from SAM which I highly suspect means a lot if you run RSR. 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:14 AM, 5ephir0th said:

The one avalible on Adrenaline is FSR 1, not 2 or 3

It's the same algorithm as FSR and it's called RSR, but you can't really say what FSR or RSR version it is. But close enough to say that FSR works with DCS, because both FSR and RSR is spatial upscaling. Difference eing RSR is also supersampling and you have to set it manually, unlike FSR and DLSS. Adrenaline drivers have matured a great deal. I tried the RSR setting a year ago and it was crap compared to now. The difference being that just because the game don't "support" FSR, that doesn't mean RSR which is driver based will not work. There's no in game menu that let's you enable it. Another point of interest might be that FSR have a higher performance value but I'm not so sure about that in DCS. I went from 30fps to steady 55-60fps in a heavy as hell multiplayer server at 4k native res.  The server mission eats all 16gigs of Vram and run 36gb RAM on top of the 4 gig system RAM. 

Edited by Braunn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Braunn said:

RSR is the same algorithm as FSR. Enable RSR, whatever sharpening you can use and downscale the native resolution in game to what's prompted. Double check that GPU scaling is enabled. It should automatically be enabled when running RSR. If you have a Intel/AMD system you won't benefit from SAM which I highly suspect means a lot if you run RSR. 

It's the same algorithm as FSR and it's called RSR, but you can't really say what FSR or RSR version it is. But close enough to say that FSR works with DCS. Adrenaline drivers have matured a great deal. I tried the RSR setting a year ago and it was crap compared to now. The difference being that just because the game don't "support" FSR, that doesn't mean RSR which is driver based will not work. There's no in game menu that let's you enable it. Another point of interest might be that FSR have a higher performance value but I'm not so sure about that in DCS. I went from 30fps to steady 55-60fps in a heavy as hell multiplayer server at 4k native res.  The server mission eats all 16gigs of Vram and run 36gb RAM on top of the 4 gig system RAM. 

Its the equivalent to FSR 1.0 because for 2.0 and beyond need temporal information from the game engine for work, you cant get that information from games that doesnt support it or via driver for games that does it, it needs to be implemented at game level, thats why you can apply FSR 1.0 to any game even without the Adrenaline, because it doesnt need any info from the game as is just a spatial upscaler with nothing more, same as nVidia NIS, and thats why AMD warns you to disable RSR on games that support FSR. Temporal information its what makes the difference on visual quality and integration

You even can apply FSR 1.0 and nVidia NIS to any VR game through software like OpenXR Toolkit. Obviously you get the performance gain but not the image quality of 2.0 and beyond

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier