Screen Flickering Since 2.9 Update

DAZnBLAST
Go to solution Solved by DAZnBLAST,

OK. I've just read GORNYAK's post above. He says the problem has been identified by devs. Wait and see.

If you can attach a short track over Caucasus demonstrating the issue, along with your "Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua" file, it will help them.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I did a full night mission in Hornet, didn't get "lightning flashes" until bringing up tgp display on mfd. Then almost every input action relating to the tgp, i.e. slewing, entering spot track code, entering laser des code, designating, etc. I was getting the blinding flashes of white light. Then tried mavs, same was true for the mav video feed on mfd

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

I have also this flashes but only in the AH 64. And now i recognise the flash starts as soon as i use the TADS with FLIR mode. If i switch to TV mode the flashes are gone. Did someone else see this happening if you turn of the FLIR the Flash stopps?

I am having the issue where my screen starts flashing black really fast only when I am using my TGP (F-16).   Not only is the flashing really distracting but it almost seems like the thing doesn't zoom as far as it had before nor does my White Hot setting seem to really reveal much.  I put 5 soldiers and 5 T-72s clustered in a spot and I zoomed for all I was worth just 4 miles away and could just barely make out the tank image.  Then I flew over and the only thing on the tank that was remotely white was the engine compartment.  I realize that's going to make the most heat but it doesn't seem right the rest of the tank, which is running, will match the color of the grass.   This is on a day mission.

I had to put it in active pause mode for an eternity just to spot this cluster of baddies.

Edited by PlaceboC6

• ED Team

threads merged. 

Please include your dcs log and dxdiag for the team 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

adding dxdiag.txt and dcs.log per @BIGNEWY's request.

My primary problem is a constant flickering like a bad fluorescent bulb.  This happens in the 2D GUI as well as in-game.  Often, a faint ghost image of a previous screen can be seen while in game(i.e., grid lines from F10 map, briefing window, options page).  This doesn't happen on any other games I've tried, including an older stable version of DCS.

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

• Like 2

do they have any leads on the screen flashing problem yet?

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

All I have to do to repro the screen flickering black like the monitor cable is loose is jump in the F-16 in my mission editor, turn on the TGP and in my case I also had the Maverick seeker cam on.  Wasn't long before looking around the cockpit with my track IR was causing the screen to flicker.  I am running the exact same settings as I was pre 2.9.  I did not feel the need to enable DLSS because the 3080 pushes the Sim @ 3440x1440 very well without it.

DxDiag.txt

problem:

I have the same flashing in the F15E only when the TPOD is on display.

workaround:

I also have found a setting that solves this problem for me (I have 1 flash during a 15 min flight with vsync&fullscreen versus a flash every few seconds with vsync&fullscreen off).

Please report your results, do these settings reduce the flashing for you as well?

next steps:

I suspect the vsync setting is the main contributer to reduce the flashing. I will test other combinations and modules and report my findings.

After further testing the flashing seems only related to TPOD on or off (TPOD video that is)

Screenshot 2023-10-31 222811 vsync fullscreen.jpg

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

These settings also seem to improve the issue for me combined with my original vsync and fullscreen setting. (I also created a 90 refresh rate mode for my monitor).

(But perhaps it is not related at all and the issue is appearing different randomly on every run, the number of test runs is still low, I will update again after more test runs)

Screenshot 2023-11-01 002547 uselefteye crop.jpg

After further test runs, the settings seem not related

Edited by Motomouse
  • Thanks 1

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

On 10/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, Flappie said:

Thank you. I cannot reproduce the issue. Maybe that's because it is DLSS related? (I own a 1080Ti - no DLSS for me)

Not DLSS for me.  I didn't bother to enable it because the 3080 I'm running has plenty of juice to push it at 60fps and faster with my 34" ultra wide.  I can repro it in minutes.  Put an F-16 in the mission editor armed with Mavericks and a TGP.  Turn on the TGP and the Maverick camera and look around.

The only thing I can't account for is the difference in our configuration.  With a 3080 I have everything cranked as far as I know and may have some things set in a way that you may not experience the problem.   But that is a really easy way to duplicate it.

This video at 15 seconds shows a quick flicker.  Someone else posted this..  In my case it flickers more and faster.  I also have the drastic color shifts some of the others are describing.

Edited by PlaceboC6
  • Like 1

I tried disabling full screen mode. It pretty much stopped the bright flashing. But, I'm still getting a tearing flicker at about the same frequency when using tgp in any airframe.

I was getting this same flash in the Apache on all maps. Much worse on night missions and more frequent with the PNVS up then without.  I wasn't sure if it was 2.9 because I had recently updated Nvidia drivers. 

When 2.9 dropped I was on Nvidia driver 537.42 with no issues or flashing. I updated to 545.92 and it started flashing.  I rolled back to 537.42 drivers and its working fine again.

Track attached from the initial flashing if it helps.

screen flash.trk

For me black ones; but noticed it first, when I used the TGP in the hornet. No flashes if I am not using the TGP

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

In the instant action mission in the F16, free flight, Caucasus theater and coinciding with what the companions point out, that is, with the TGP activated, the white flashing occurs (like a photographic flash). I use MSAA at x2 and nothing else, no SSS and no DLAA. Everything in VR. I have flown several missions at night and during the day and this flicker occurs interchangeably but always in white, I never saw it in black unless my glasses for some reason lost tracking, but that is another topic. I have started to observe it since your last update, I never had this problem.

Edited by Silver_