DCS: MiG-29A Fulcrum

8 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Looks like the navigational mode. There's no indexes, no target selections, and that circle looks like the waypoint symbol. Not sure what the lower information is outside of the distance and heading readouts.

It's definitely a 29G of the Luftwaffe.

For comparison, here are some 9.12s and their own HUD symbology:
zswmpp9yctoz.jpg

Note the same circle? Waypoint.

I was actually about to suggest that the "Q" is just an O with some detritus or a cloud in the way. And then, one more google search phrase change up and BAM!:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/when-u-s-navy-fighters-dogfighted-with-the-mig-29-fulcrum-remembering-exercise-agile-archer-2002/

Sure enough, German MiG-29s over Key West in 2002. KNQX.

Yeah, that last digit seems deformed, but if you look closely, it's because of the F-18's vertical stabilator posing as a different background than the sky. The time readout is in the following format - "0-00" where the first digit is in hours, and the last two digits in minutes.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

33 minutes ago, okopanja said:

This Yugoslav is Mig-29, photograph taken probably during 90s.

Thanks for the ID. I suspected that was the coloration on the tail.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 hour ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Looks like the navigational mode. There's no indexes, no target selections, and that circle looks like the waypoint symbol. Not sure what the lower information is outside of the distance and heading readouts.

It's definitely a 29G of the Luftwaffe.

For comparison, here are some 9.12s and their own HUD symbology:

Note the same circle? Waypoint.

I was actually about to suggest that the "Q" is just an O with some detritus or a cloud in the way. And then, one more google search phrase change up and BAM!:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/when-u-s-navy-fighters-dogfighted-with-the-mig-29-fulcrum-remembering-exercise-agile-archer-2002/

Sure enough, German MiG-29s over Key West in 2002. KNQX.

You right. Make sense as a Navigation mode. Another one here low res in metric

154247002_2907781636107176_6162784600697406176_n.jpg

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Manual target wingspan setting, used when you don't have radar lock.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

33 minutes ago, some1 said:

Manual target wingspan setting, used when you don't have radar lock.

Thanks. So it is an axis, right? Or is it a 3 position rotator?

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

An axis I think.

• Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

3 position rotator: Small-Medium-Large

EDIT: Used to set the target base size when using the cannon in “predicted target” mode but it’s also used with A2A missiles. Just don’t remember why for the latter, at the moment. It may have to do with the proximity fuse.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Thanks 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

16 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

3 position rotator: Small-Medium-Large

The manual says "a potentiometer with 3 markers" which suggests an axis.

15 minutes ago, some1 said:

The manual says "a potentiometer with 3 markers" which suggests an axis.

In that case, I would be wrong. I was basing my comment on the Su-27 manual which made it sound like a 3-position switch.

EDIT: Though I do wonder why you would need a “Medium” position marker, if there weren’t discrete stops. All you’d need is small/large.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

11 hours ago, PLAAF said:

Hi guys, just one quick question. Does anyone know what this is?
null

1d3dfu9.png

As mentioned. It’s setting wingspan for gun use. 

However for missiles, it does something else.

If correctly modeled in game, it will define when the radio correction of the R-27R/ER is expected to end and seeker lock on to begin. For expected seeker lock on its

small it’s 12 km (usually dusted for cruise missiles) 

medium is 25 km, 

large is 40 km 

So usually it’s stuck at medium intended for fighter sized targets. 

It also sets fuse delay, it seems, the smaller the target, the less delay after the fuse “sees” something. I’m sure the intention here is to get the missile to explode when near the center of the target, not just when it detects the nose or tail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

1 hour ago, AeriaGloria said:

As mentioned. It’s setting wingspan for gun use. 

However for missiles, it does something else.

If correctly modeled in game, it will define when the radio correction of the R-27R/ER is expected to end and seeker lock on to begin. For expected seeker lock on its

small it’s 12 km (usually dusted for cruise missiles) 

medium is 25 km, 

large is 40 km 

So usually it’s stuck at medium intended for fighter sized targets. 

It also sets fuse delay, it seems, the smaller the target, the less delay after the fuse “sees” something. I’m sure the intention here is to get the missile to explode when near the center of the target, not just when it detects the nose or tail

🤨
So is it an axis? Or is it a 3-position rotator switch?

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

• 2 weeks later...

thats how I like them young dumb and Ful of crum 😂😂

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

En 7/1/2024 a las 3:07, EagleEye.DCS dijo:

thanks for your info. We looking forward further info

What variant of the 9.12? According to the Soviet Union's projects, versions prior to 9.13 could carry underwing tanks and R77 missiles. In fact, FC's MiG29A is an intermediate phase between the latest 9.12 (S version in the West) and the improved 9.12 (an A+ version that would be said today).

If it is the first version (9.12) we will lose the underwing tank capacity nor will we be able to operate the E version of the R27...

Edited by ESA_maligno

4 minutes ago, ESA_maligno said:

What variant of the 9.12? According to the Soviet Union's projects, versions prior to 9.13 could carry underwing tanks and R77 missiles. In fact, FC's MiG29A is an intermediate phase between the latest 9.12 (S version in the West) and the improved 9.12 (an A+ version that would be said today).

If it is the first version (9.12) we will lose the underwing tank capacity nor will we be able to operate the E version of the R27...

Hi there, 9.12 originally did not have a radar capable of guiding R-77.

The 9.12 could obtain such capability if the the computer Ts-100 is replaced by combination of Ts-101/Ts-102, which significantly enhanced the capabilities of the radar and FCS:

• radar could not be saturated with ECM as before
  • support was added for:
    • R-77 (required installing additional R-77 installation in radar as well)
    • KAB-500
  • ability to detect slow flying helicopters was added

This information is based on the interview of the Mig-29 pilot Mirčeta Jokanović. In the interview he explains that around 1996 they were offered the upgrade/remont for the 29s that could be largely conducted on premise (except for the gun modification which required structural changes). The upgrade was offered at $100.000 per piece, but despite the Airforce requesting this, someone on political side decided this was not needed. Result was seen in 1999 when 2 pilots died why fighting in jets where rarely both Radar and SPO-15 operated and off course without missiles with active seeker.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tarres said:

@okopanja, is this upgrade the 9.12S? Created as an upgrade of the 9.12 along the lines of the 9.13S?

It would correspond to the S, but S in DCS does not have Kab-500, however, this was in 1996, some 28 years ago!

Lots of time has passed since, end even then the "teens" approx from 2006-2008, are 10-12 years newer.

I personally think we will not receive the upgraded 9.12 in DCS, but rather original cold war variant with know limitations. In future this may open the possibility to introduce a bit modernized variant of 9-12 with a certain degree of multi-role capability.

6 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I personally think we will not receive the upgraded 9.12 in DCS

The first post in this very thread clearly states we'll be getting an '80s era MiG-29...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

9 minutes ago, okopanja said:

No worries I am in this thread from the start.

No need to worry about R-77, yet... 🙂

Chizh has answerd on the russian forum about the Mig-29A, "a aircraft based on east country aircraft, without nuclear weapons". I think that can be a Mig-29A "export" version.

4 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Chizh has answerd on the russian forum about the Mig-29A, "a aircraft based on east country aircraft, without nuclear weapons". I think that can be a Mig-29A "export" version.

I am not doubting Chizh, just for the sake of facts I clarified that more capable 9-12A/B was possible as of 1996 at least. Ts101/Ts102 production started in 1991 which roughly checks out with the appearance of R-77. This off-course would be subject to certain well known restrictions.

For now appearance of 80s Mig-29 FF is what we are all eagerly looking forward to.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:47 PM, pepin1234 said:

You right. Make sense as a Navigation mode. Another one here low res in metric

154247002_2907781636107176_6162784600697406176_n.jpg

Is this the HUD contrast how the RL pilots see it? If yes, then our DCS one is way too pale.

Edited by Pavlin_33

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro