two question about ACLS

ivo
Go to solution Solved by Wags,

12 minutes ago, ivo said:

Thanks I posted the mission a few posts above as here

The .miz may be helpful but the TRACK (.trk) from you actually flying it (save it from the debrief screen) will let people see if you're missing some critical step in your process or what is happening since it shows what YOU did.

i already see it 

2 hours ago, ivo said:

Hi, I tried, your mission, however I always have the same error with the ATTH autopilot and HSEL doesn't give me an error instead CPL always gives me the writing on the left MFD as per the photo from your missionerrore 2.png

You are so out of centerline that the autopilot system is freaking out when engaging it and it is kicking it out out coupled mode. See that line to the right of the velocity vector? You need to have the VV on that line. That is the centerline of the landing area on the ship. 

Edited by Muchocracker

• ED Team
  • Solution

Dear all,

If I might interject. After not having flown a Case 3 in forever, I tested it in the current, public Open Beta today, and it worked as it should (I was more than a bit sloppy though). I suspect where some folks may be running into problems could be:

1- The mission does not have a Link 4 assignment to the carrier. Press and hold the K key to check.

2- You did not first establish yourself in ATC.

3- You tried to Couple outside of line up and glideslope Tilt limits.

I've attached a track to illustrate that it works as designed when performed correctly.

Wags

ACLS-Test.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All easy for the legendary Wags. Of course I tried a couple more times after following the tutorial (and I followed many!!). Result always the same: no landing. I think my problem is in alignment with the aircraft carrier. From what I can see it must be almost perfect. Although, let's face it, this ACLS does less than half the job. In the conditions in which this landing takes place (not those of a beautiful clear sky at sunset) the alignment is a nightmare: following the symbols on the HUD at 150-200 knots with landing gear and flaps is like flying with an ironing board. In the past, when it became available, I had tried ACLS but gave up thinking it had bugs. I tried again today and in over 10 attempts I never managed to land. If I feel like going crazy, I'll try again.

• ED Team
28 minutes ago, flavnet said:

All easy for the legendary Wags. Of course I tried a couple more times after following the tutorial (and I followed many!!). Result always the same: no landing. I think my problem is in alignment with the aircraft carrier. From what I can see it must be almost perfect. Although, let's face it, this ACLS does less than half the job. In the conditions in which this landing takes place (not those of a beautiful clear sky at sunset) the alignment is a nightmare: following the symbols on the HUD at 150-200 knots with landing gear and flaps is like flying with an ironing board. In the past, when it became available, I had tried ACLS but gave up thinking it had bugs. I tried again today and in over 10 attempts I never managed to land. If I feel like going crazy, I'll try again.

Share a track, it would be easier to seem if there is something you are missing. Thanks

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

3 hours ago, Wags said:

Dear all,

If I might interject. After not having flown a Case 3 in forever, I tested it in the current, public Open Beta today, and it worked as it should (I was more than a bit sloppy though). I suspect where some folks may be running into problems could be:

1- The mission does not have a Link 4 assignment to the carrier. Press and hold the K key to check.

2- You did not first establish yourself in ATC.

3- You tried to Couple outside of line up and glideslope Tilt limits.

I've attached a track to illustrate that it works as designed when performed correctly.

Wags

ACLS-Test.trk 4.42 MB · 2 downloads

Have you tested in multiplayer with multiple aircraft spaced 1 (or 2) minute(s) apart? Is this working now? Last time I checked (a long time ago since I gave up on DCS CASE 3) only the first aircraft to call in would be able to use ACLS, would love to get back into CASE 3 if its working for multiplayer!

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

1 hour ago, MARLAN_ said:

Have you tested in multiplayer with multiple aircraft spaced 1 (or 2) minute(s) apart? Is this working now? Last time I checked (a long time ago since I gave up on DCS CASE 3) only the first aircraft to call in would be able to use ACLS, would love to get back into CASE 3 if its working for multiplayer!

I've used it a couple of times on grayflag but no when other people were trying to land at the same time. There were issues with it straight up not going into ACL RDY at the lock on point after it was released. But idk if that's around anymore, will have to check that out.

As kind of my final piece here. I'm almost certain that the cause here for some of you is you're just out of TILT limits as wags and i mentioned previously. You have to be much closer to centerline for the ACLS controlled phase of the approach or else the jet is going to be commanded to roll super hard and get kicked out of A/P.

You have to remember that the ship is moving away from you and slighty left to rightbecayse you are following a bearing line that matches the angled landing area. You have to constantly adjust to the right to keep on centerline. If you're trimmed out and on speed it's very easy to do. But if you're fighting to stay at altitude and be stable trying to use forward stick to stay on speed i can see why you're having a hard time. Before trying to attempt carrier landings, get comfortable with flying on speed and the transitions between. It will help tromendously.

Edited by Muchocracker

Hi Could someone please try my mission?

Ivo F-18 acls.miz

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Master caution = low on fuel, change FPAS Home to WP1.

No issues with the mission and a good wire 3 recovery.

Ivo.trk

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

3 hours ago, ivo said:

Hi Could someone please try my mission?

I'll give it a try now. Stby

EDIT:

Works for me too.

My only advise is the following:

• Once established at 1200' and 250kts and exactly on the ILS lateral path, if using the A/P, ensure it's is in RALT and CPL HDG mode (check HUD), ATC engaged if desired.
  • Just prior to 8nm, disconnect ATC and the A/P
  • @ 8nm, gear, flap, slow to on speed AOA, maintaining 1200' (all manually, don't use the A/P)
  • Only once established at on speed AOA, if you'd like, re-engage ATC and the A/P and CPL mode. (I prefer to ATC & A/P, but maintain manual control of altitude with pitch control, as I like to fine tune any deviation from 1200' whilst configuring now). The other option is to remain in complete manual control until the next step.
  • At the "ACLS lock-on, say needles" call, deselect CPL, then re-engage CPL. (Or engage A/P & CPL if you remained in manual flight from above.) This should change the HUD indication from CPL HDG, to CPL P/R.
  • Sit back and ride the jet onto the deck 😆
  • Just after the ramp, in the wires, the nose will start to drop, manually try to hold it up and add some power to avoid an _EGIW_ grade. (Good luck with this, it's almost impossible haha.)

P.S. In the image posted above, you are 0.6nm left of the correct final approach track, this is WAY to much for the A/P to try and correct when only 6nm from the boat.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 1

Thank you, your advice is very useful, thanks again. Bye

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

hi nothing to do.
I eliminated all the controls of the F-18 and set only the pitch and roll joystick and the thorttle engine
thottle T command and A command
dead zone for Y axis and X axis joystick set to 5
trim up and down all other commands are blank.
however when I click on AP and then CPL I always get the same error as shown in the photo despite (I have tried countless times) the autopilot button A has disengagederrore 3.png

Edited by ivo

Ok thank to all

- "Platform" should be called when passing through 5000 feet to follow DATA directions for airspeed and descent rate down to 1200 feet.
- Improper landing configuration: flaps must be set to FULL for proper approach. Aircraft is also too heavy (gross weight should be 33,000 pounds or below). Aircraft should be fully configured and on-speed by 6 miles (regardless of ATC or CPL settings).
- After the first usage of CPL fails (see above), the aircraft drops into CSS ('A/P' advisory on the left DDI), use Paddle switch to disengage.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team
3 hours ago, flavnet said:

There was no way to activate A/P :CPL!!!!
Thanks to anyone who will point me out where I'm wrong.

F-18 case 3 fail.trk 6.04 MB · 4 downloads

Tholozor beat us to the response, but we are seeing the same things. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Tholozor said:

- "Platform" should be called when passing through 5000 feet to follow DATA directions for airspeed and descent rate down to 1200 feet.
- Improper landing configuration: flaps must be set to FULL for proper approach. Aircraft is also too heavy (gross weight should be 33,000 pounds or below). Aircraft should be fully configured and on-speed by 6 miles (regardless of ATC or CPL settings).
- After the first usage of CPL fails (see above), the aircraft drops into CSS ('A/P' advisory on the left DDI), use Paddle switch to disengage.

Landing the F/A-18C, particularly in Case III, is certainly a complex task. We highly recommend carefully reviewing Case III landing videos, tutorials, and manual and follow the steps carefully. A good place to start:

or if you have the Supercarrier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hi, why in the second video dedicated to the Supercarrier Wagner in mission editor when setting the aircraft carrier does not put either Tacan or ICLS and on the datalink the frequency is shown as 336 and then in the game it sets 256?  the video isn't much help, and it doesn't work anyway.

Bye

• ED Team
1 hour ago, ivo said:

Hi, why in the second video dedicated to the Supercarrier Wagner in mission editor when setting the aircraft carrier does not put either Tacan or ICLS and on the datalink the frequency is shown as 336 and then in the game it sets 256?  the video isn't much help, and it doesn't work anyway.

Bye

because the video is not about those, it simply about what needs to be set up for ACLS support

please add a short track replay of what you are seeing and we will be happy to take a look. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Ivo,

Wags does say at 0:27 that there is another video about case 3 recoveries.. and it is linked in the comment section.

Here is a link to Wags video on how to set up the carrier:

Please save and send us your replay file of your failed attempts. (it has a .trk file extension).

Edited by Fresh
  • Like 1

hi, I posted the flight of the mission before activating the autopilot and CPL, I deactivated everything using the A key and then another test, also deactivated T but I still have the error as shown on the left MFD post also the mission

ACLS.trk Ivo F-18 acls.miz

Your flap position must be Full, not Auto or Half.

Screen_240125_163243.jpg

Edited by BJ55

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro