WW2 ETO future

2 minutes ago, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

So depending on your definitions of quality:

Graphics, no.

Sound, no.

Flight model, no.

VR supported, no.

AS a consumer, I don't care how big or small their team is.  I only care about results.

But can we agree that BoB shouldn't be discarded "because it has been done before"?

So has PTO.  Aces of the Pacific was one of my first games. 😉  Sorry, ED.  Drop the idea of PTO, it's been "done before". 😉

But I get it.  ED is dropping ETO to revector to PTO probably to strangle Combat Pilot in the crib and not leave it an unfulfilled niche. Not a bad strategy.

Regardless.  DCS Battle of Britain would be awesome, IMHO. 😉 

You only listed the stuff I said wasn't as good and ignored the stuff the was better. Being a singleplayer guy, having an AI that behaves somewhat realistic is rather important. Clod is the only current ww2 sim where aircraft use the whole of the sky and boom and zoom planes boom and zoom instead of just doing lazy circles like in IL2 and DCS. Same can be said for damage modeling.

And aces of the Pacific is just a straw man. Clod is no older than DCS, and is under current development.

ED announced Pacific before combat Pilot and I was actually worried that might mean ED wouldn't go as hard as they planned originally for PTO, when they no longer had monopoly on that theaters (which is what I've always felt stopped DCS from going hard on ww2, since IL2 had the market share there) why go into a market you don't have big footing in(ED kinda stumbled into WW2 by accident and I'm very happy they did) when they have more or less monopoly on jet combat sims. 

But ED seems determined to give PTO some proper attention and I was very pleasantly surprised to see Japanese cruisers, and they even looked very far developed. And with promises of Hellcat not being in a vacuum with hints of both AI and more full fidelity aircraft PTO aircraft.

So that is very promising. I hope the plans are for a second PTO map too. Its limited how interesting ww2 Marianas will be.  The islands will feel bigger with less infrastructure and when flying prop planes but it still not a lot of land.

Il2 seems to aim for Korea so it will be a two way battle between Combat Pilot and DCS. I hope competition will drive both to do better (all though history has shown that to be mostly a myth)

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Remember the rules guys...

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are not recommended as they can create personal friction with users who enjoy such products and potentially create issues with competitve manufacturers which is not helpful. We do not allow the reviewing of, or direct comparison of other competitive software here. Posting news updates or advertising other products or games is also forbidden (unless approved by an admin). Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Remember the rules guys...

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are not recommended as they can create personal friction with users who enjoy such products and potentially create issues with competitve manufacturers which is not helpful. We do not allow the reviewing of, or direct comparison of other competitive software here. Posting news updates or advertising other products or games is also forbidden (unless approved by an admin). Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

Very true, my apologies, we do get carried away. And it can be hard to discuss DCS without comparing it with others.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

is just a straw man.

Nonsense.

The point I was making is that the idea that a DCS BoB should be discarded because "it has been done before", is not rational.

So has PTO.  So has Eastern Front.  Etc, etc, etc.  You mentioned Bodenplatte.  Seems I've heard that one done elsewhere before too.

The only relevant point would be if it had been done already in DCS, which of course it hasn't.

Edited by [HOUNDS] CptTrips
  • Like 3

I'd love a DCS BoB....and I look forward to the Pacific venture....but I've not seen much evidence that ED (or 3rd party devs) are too interested in producing a fleshed-out WW2 theatre/plane-set.

Right now we have a barely coherent (if you squint hard enough) European theatre plane-set that has taken a decade to produce, and no indication that the glaring omissions, whether they be variants or types, are on the drawing board.

Were it not for Mag.3's Corsair the 'Pacific' (in reality a single map) would have a single flyable; the Hellcat. Maybe we'll get a Zero in the future. And then what? Does anyone honestly see a flyable Helldiver, Dauntless, Betty, Kate on the horizon?

• Like 5

17 hours ago, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

Nonsense.

The point I was making is that the idea that a DCS BoB should be discarded because "it has been done before", is not rational.

So has PTO.  So has Eastern Front.  Etc, etc, etc.  You mentioned Bodenplatte.  Seems I've heard that one done elsewhere before too.

The only relevant point would be if it had been done already in DCS, which of course it hasn't.

Comparing a 30+ year old dead game to a game that isn't any older DCS and is in active development is a strawman.

You can argue you don't like the other game and doesn't fill your need(though complaining about lack of vr isn't very valid as the game will have VR long before DCS even starts on Bob) 

That other sim that covers late ww2, doesn't do it very well, it does everything worse than DCS,( except number of aircraft available)

And so I feel it's perfectly valid to wish DCS to do market garden and boddenplatte even tho that sim already does it. As it doesn't do it well, ground graphics are almost abstract especially trees and buildings. The engine can't handle even medium fights well. There are no long range bomber, no drop tanks. Some very suspect flight modeling, terrible effects graphics from explosions to bullet hits on the ground. AI doesn't go higher than 12 000 feet. It just doesn't simulate what it's suppose to simulate well.

That other sim that covers bob, simulate bob extremely well, you can probably simulate battle of Britain day and the hardest day 1:1 scale. The AI fights to their aircraft advantages, the AI will use the entire sky from 30k down to sea level. They won't all dive for the deck as soon as the fighting starts

Ships blowing up will create huge black plumes going many thousands of feet up, same with blowing up fuel tanks. . It has drop tanks working for later periods. it ha radar use foe night fighters. It will get 3 4 engine bombers the next few years.

DCS won't come close to simulating BOB as well unless huge changes happen to priories and the way DCS works. 

Can you have cool battles in DCS with a full fidelity Hurricane and full fidelity 109E, sure but that doesn't make it a proper BoB simulation.

And that's the difference. It isn't just that someone has already done it. it's that someone has done it and are still doing it better than DCS will unless DCS WW2 completely changes how it does stuff.

But sure if ED says they'll release 10 full fidelity BoB aircraft. 10+  more AI aircraft, appropriate ships and ground vehicles. Fix the AI(i know they said they are working on that)  and everything else needed to make a proper Battle of Britain simulator. I'd be very happy and buy all the planes and asset packs needed. Reflected would make fantastic bob based campaigns and the dynamic campaign would just be fantastic. But I don't think that will happen. But I will buy any bob plane they DO release. And have fun with whatever I can use them for.

Even a dynamic campaign for 1944 is still missing so much to make it feel like a proper simulation of that period.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Comparing a 30+ year old dead game to a game that isn't any older DCS and is in active development is a strawman.

Nonsense.  It exactly proves my point.  That other game is barely being supported and only by volunteers.  The last time I tried it it was still a hot mess and I waited a year for the VR support that was just around the corner and 4-5 years later it still hasn't arrived.

Whatever old, marginally supported games can achieve is pale comparison to what DCS could.  

The excuse that DCS shouldn't do BoB because it had already been done in other sims, is what I was replying to.  Of course that other game can't compare to DCS.  That is exactly why it would be awesome to see BoB implemented in DCS. Those old, barely supported games are not a replacement for what DCS could achieve.

Old games limping along with volunteer support is great for nostalgia, but it is not the future.  The future is DCS.  I didn't say that wouldn't require work.  It's going to take work to make a PTO or Bodenplatte, or anything else.

Besides, Nick Grey wants it, so sooner or later we will get a DCS BoB.  And it will be awesome. 😉

Edited by [HOUNDS] CptTrips
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lixma 06 said:

I'd love a DCS BoB....and I look forward to the Pacific venture....but I've not seen much evidence that ED (or 3rd party devs) are too interested in producing a fleshed-out WW2 theatre/plane-set.

Right now we have a barely coherent (if you squint hard enough) European theatre plane-set that has taken a decade to produce, and no indication that the glaring omissions, whether they be variants or types, are on the drawing board.

I agree. There are enthusiastic WW2 3rd party devs though and they’re doing what they can but there aren’t enough of them.

It’s as if EDs core income comes from modern Jets and Helis and the WW2 department is an afterthought. As if they’ve let ‘the other sim’ do their thing while ED does the modern stuff. Nobody steps on any toes but I think strong competition helps both parties better themselves. I don’t think that’s the case but I didn’t expect to feel like that with The Fighter Collection being at the helm or at least deeply associated.

I was surprised (and pleased) to read about the Pacific bits as what we have already in the prop world is far from sensibly matched. I’d have thought there was still much work to be done to flesh out the theatres we’re already flying in.

This year marks the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Come 6th of June will we have a Navy and an Air Force able to recreate it in a meaningful way? We’re lucky we have keen mod makers to fill in glaring omissions like Mulberry Harbours. (The ability to place ALGs would be nice while I’m on the subject, oh and a flyable C-47 and Horsa with droppable paras 😁) but what I think we need isn’t so much new Theatres or the odd bits and bobs, it’s Aircraft. Lots of em.

I’ll buy props for DCS when they’re available. New maps to fly em in too. Flying up into the ‘soft underbelly’ from Malta sounds great but I don’t see the point in putting more irons in the fire before finishing what’s been started. Unless we’re taking a much broader view of development which at this rate it’ll be 20 odd years before we’re cooking on gas and I’ll be long gone.

We’ll likely be here after any PTO release moaning for something else to match up to. - Saying that, don’t stop any releases, gimme, gimme, gimme 😁.

The future then, is to employ a dozen coders that are deeply enthusiastic about vintage warbirds and the like. Build all the planes, all the maps, all the bits and all the mf bobs. Ignore the revenue loss as once everything’s in place and word spreads they’ll need to open yet another Swiss bank account to take all our money. Should things go array, blame me, I’ll delete my account and the rest of you will enjoy the fruits of their labour. 🙂.

I’ll get me coat.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

Nonsense.  It exactly proves my point.  That other game is barely being supported and only by volunteers.  The last time I tried it it was still a hot mess and I waited a year for the VR support that was just around the corner and 4-5 years later it still hasn't arrived.

Whatever old, marginally supported games can achieve is pale comparison to what DCS could.  

The excuse that DCS shouldn't do BoB because it had already been done in other sims, is what I was replying to.  Of course that other game can't compare to DCS.  That is exactly why it would be awesome to see BoB implemented in DCS. Those old, barely supported games are not a replacement for what DCS could achieve.

Old games limping along with volunteer support is great for nostalgia, but it is not the future.  The future is DCS.  I didn't say that wouldn't require work.  It's going to take work to make a PTO or Bodenplatte, or anything else.

Besides, Nick Grey wants it, so sooner or later we will get a DCS BoB.  And it will be awesome. 😉

Team Fusion is not volunteers. They are a development team that has released 1 expansion pack. Working on a free vr/visual update and has plans for 4 or 5 more expansions have hired new map makers and 3d modelers. Again Cliffs over Dover is no older than DCS.

It's fine that you aren't interested in it. But do it from an honest standpoint. Instead of using strawmans.

And I still haven't seen any thing from you explaining how you expect DCS to do BoB in our lifetime?

Edited by Gunfreak
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Slippa said:

I agree. There are enthusiastic WW2 3rd party devs though and they’re doing what they can but there aren’t enough of them.

It’s as if EDs core income comes from modern Jets and Helis and the WW2 department is an afterthought. As if they’ve let ‘the other sim’ do their thing while ED does the modern stuff. Nobody steps on any toes but I think strong competition helps both parties better themselves. I don’t think that’s the case but I didn’t expect to feel like that with The Fighter Collection being at the helm or at least deeply associated.

I was surprised (and pleased) to read about the Pacific bits as what we have already in the prop world is far from sensibly matched. I’d have thought there was still much work to be done to flesh out the theatres we’re already flying in.

This year marks the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Come 6th of June will we have a Navy and an Air Force able to recreate it in a meaningful way? We’re lucky we have keen mod makers to fill in glaring omissions like Mulberry Harbours. (The ability to place ALGs would be nice while I’m on the subject, oh and a flyable C-47 and Horsa with droppable paras 😁) but what I think we need isn’t so much new Theatres or the odd bits and bobs, it’s Aircraft. Lots of em.

I’ll buy props for DCS when they’re available. New maps to fly em in too. Flying up into the ‘soft underbelly’ from Malta sounds great but I don’t see the point in putting more irons in the fire before finishing what’s been started. Unless we’re taking a much broader view of development which at this rate it’ll be 20 odd years before we’re cooking on gas and I’ll be long gone.

We’ll likely be here after any PTO release moaning for something else to match up to. - Saying that, don’t stop any releases, gimme, gimme, gimme 😁.

The future then, is to employ a dozen coders that are deeply enthusiastic about vintage warbirds and the like. Build all the planes, all the maps, all the bits and all the mf bobs. Ignore the revenue loss as once everything’s in place and word spreads they’ll need to open yet another Swiss bank account to take all our money. Should things go array, blame me, I’ll delete my account and the rest of you will enjoy the fruits of their labour. 🙂.

I’ll get me coat.

Only a Remark....
P-51D and Fw-190D-9 was ED modules before the RRG Studios KS. The Defunt KS was rescue by ED and get the Honnor to complete all modules (Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8, P-47D, Spitfire Mk.IX, missing the Me262 on research). After them, ED has make the Mosquito FB, and now the F6F Hellcat (all talked in the past by Nick Grey)....

WW2 assets pack has the work of 3D modeles, with request some reward by your work and surely the new PTO units, get into them. The channel map and Marianas WW2 has ED work and Ugra Media complete the Normandy map and build the update Normandy 2 (We dont know if your next map will has a WW2 map)

Meanwhile M3 has continue with your plans about PTO with the F4U and your PTO units, and surely that is not the "only" WW2 module by that 3rd party (No team map yet, but remember they was plans to build Okinawa map). Octopus-G move to continue make WW2 East Front units after the I-16, with the La-7 and Po-2 (no AI assets pack or map teams yet).

And I think, that is not the last 3rd party with plans on WW2...

39 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Team Fusion is not volunteers. They are a development team that has released 1 expansion pack. Working on a free vr/visual update and has plans for 4 or 5 more expansions have hired now map makers and 3d modelers. Again Cliffs over Dover is no older than DCS.

It's fine that you aren't interested in it. But do it from an honest standpoint. Instead of using strawmans.

And I still haven't seen any thing from you explaining how you expect DCS to do BoB in our lifetime?

Nick Gray doesn't have to prove anything vs other company... when he promised that he was going to make a Mosquito FB, a Hellcat F6F (possibly coming out this year) and then, was very clear to make BoB modules on the future. Remember the last interview at VIAF and previously about the BoB aircrafts on the Fighter Collection and associated team friends with BoB aircrafts on fly.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

Yes, this is the proof that BoB will eventually come to DCS. @Gunfreakhas a great point though. Time! When? And the other BoB game is becoming better and better whether you like it or not. Dieppe is incoming too. Even so, when BoB arrives, it will probably be the best version, even if it might be 10 times as expensive, for some of us. 😊 

13 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Nick Gray doesn't have to prove anything vs other company...

Of course not. No one claims so. All we are saying is that it will take a very looong time. Probably too long for some of us. 😉

• Like 2

Hopefully in the future DCS WW2 will cover all of ETO form 39 to 45. And all of Pacific from 41 to 45 and DCS will be the ultimate WW2 sim and may never be surpassed until human civilisation disappear in mushroom clouds.

But I think as long as DCS works the way it does, that WW2 dcs should concentrate on what it has already started 44-45 Western Europe and now 44-45 PTO. Give these projects proper attention fill them out with full fidelity and AI aircraft. And ship and ground assets. Improve basic stuff like AI, ground fire AI, ship damage modeling. And once that is done(and if there's still no mushroom clouds on the horizon) I will enjoy ripping my 8 .303s into some hapless Stuka trying to bomb a royal navy ship in the channel.

But concentrate on 1(now 2) things, we know resources, especially for ww2 development is very scares) and we know it has affected some expected AI aircraft assets already.

• Like 2

To add to what Gunfreak said, I'd just like to remind that this May we'll be celebrating 7th anniversary of WWII Asset Pack release and out of 10 AI planes planned for Normandy 44 back then, throughout these 7 years we got 4 (and even these are still not quite fully finished yet).

Granted, noticeably more planned ground and naval units were added, so at least there's something to place on the terrains down below.

Moreover, out of 21 official 3rd parties making content for DCS currently, only 2 work or plan to work on anything WWII related.

To sum it up, I suspect we may get an early Spit or Hurri, even flyable ones at some point in the future (Mr Grey indeed mentioned BoB planes a few times and he does treat DCS as a bit of a MSFS-style but-more-detailed warbird collection). However, If anyone here expects anything remotely close to half - fleshed out BoB experience to ever come to DCS in next 2 decades, he's delusional. 

WWII stuff has always been a bit of a "sidequest" for ED and it will most likely remain so. Mr Grey might be an avid warbird enthusiast, but he's first and foremost not a business - idiot. He can fly them in real life because he's knows a thing or two about making money. He knows who majority of DCS customers are (modern combat aircraft fans), what sells best on this platform (modern combat aircraft) and he'll not change it.

• Like 4

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Steam charts show it having 30 day average of 22 players, DCS 30 day is 1,184.  The other is not the future.  It is the past and receding quickly in the rearview. 

That says nothing about which DCS projects should be done in what order or how long it will take. 

However the main point I was addressing, just because some sim, 5, 10, 15 ,30 years ago did the Battle of Britain, in no way makes that non-viable for DCS to do.  Everything WWII related has been done by some sim at some point in the past.  Including PTO, ETO and Bodenplatte and Eastern Font.  That doesn't make those non-viable for DCS either.

Past that, we're done here.  Enjoy your Sunday.

19 minutes ago, Art-J said:

To add to what Gunfreak said, I'd just like to remind that this May we'll be celebrating 7th anniversary of WWII Asset Pack release and out of 10 AI planes planned for Normandy 44 back then, throughout these 7 years we got 4 (and even these are still not quite fully finished yet).

Remember that the "famous" list is not from the ED WW2 team Ai units team. It is the list that the RRG Studios team put on the table about your plans of AI units and ED simply copied, but never promised that it would be made. Let's not start with "the team hasn't given us what it promised."

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Remember that the "famous" list is not from the ED WW2 team Ai units team. It is the list that the RRG Studios team put on the table about your plans of AI units and ED simply copied, but never promised that it would be made. Let's not start with "the team hasn't given us what it promised."

Just out of curiosity, what was in this list?

19 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

Just out of curiosity, what was in this list?

That content:

Air Units (from old RRG Studios KS) (None confirmed by ED yet):
Avro Lancaster (planned?)
A-26 Invader (planned?)
B-24 Liberator (planned?)
B-25 Mitchel (planned?)
B-26 Invader (planned?)
Bf 109 G-6 (planned?)
Fw-190 F-8 (planned?)
Hawker Typhoon (planned?)
Heinkel 111 Bomber (planned?)
Ju-87 Stuka (planned?)

The air units release by the WW2 assets pack team was:

B-17G Bomber
A-20G Boston Light Bomber
Ju-88A-4 Torp
C-47 Dakota

And of course, the AI units conected with the ED WW2 release modules. We will add a AM-6 Zero PTO AI (and a Yorktown class Enterprise carrier) units show on "2024 and Beyond" video and the incoming F6F Hellcat. We dont know if other air AI units has planeed to WTO or PTO.

Some of them was rumors some time ago about "on progress" by some 3rd parties, as a Ju-87 or actualy, a team building a Lancaster Mod. The Fw-109F-8/G-8 was on plans by ED, as follow of the Fw-109A-8, but not confirmed yet. Over the "bombers" ED has talked they dont go to build module bombers meanwhile the "whole world" map technology will no be release.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

• ED Team
21 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

It is the list that the RRG Studios team put on the table about your plans of AI units and ED simply copied, but never promised that it would be made.

This is correct. No one wants to see more WWII stuff made than me, but the RRG list is not to be used as a reference if that is the case. We do not have as many units in-game as other WWII games, but our focus has always been on the aircraft which takes a lot more work than most of these other games that focus on quantity. RRG put us in a spot we were pretty stuck in, had we done it on our own, perhaps we would have started at BoB, who knows? 

Again, with 3rd Parties doing WWII, it's not as easy as it looks. Research can be a major time investment, and getting the FM and all that goes with it right is also challenging. It may not have the system complexity of modern aircraft but they have its challenges.

Thanks

• Like 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

S!

It would be great if ED one day could add more "timeline specific" planes to WW2 module. At the moment some are from later period than D-Day/Normandy, like 109K-4 or 190D-9. Still glad we are seeing iconic planes like F4U or F6F. But again sometimes feels like tossing in a plane here and there without proper "beef on the bone". You could use F6F and F4U in some scenarios even in ETO, basically Norway area. Over mainland? No. WW2 needs love, not all want to play flying nintendos 😛

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

Research can be a major time investment, and getting the FM and all that goes with it right is also challenging. It may not have the system complexity of modern aircraft but they have its challenges.

Thanks

For me, ED’s doing it best and I’m pretty chuffed with the quality. It’s the quantity, which, as you’ve pointed out, takes a lot of time.

The waiting may sting a bit but if a job’s worth doing it’s worth doing properly. There must be something right as nothing else gets a look-in on my system if I’m flying.

Bend a few ears in the appointments Dept. Take on a couple of hundred coders, thank me later. 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 1:50 PM, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

Steam charts show it having 30 day average of 22 players, DCS 30 day is 1,184.  The other is not the future.  It is the past and receding quickly in the rearview. 

That says nothing about which DCS projects should be done in what order or how long it will take. 

However the main point I was addressing, just because some sim, 5, 10, 15 ,30 years ago did the Battle of Britain, in no way makes that non-viable for DCS to do.  Everything WWII related has been done by some sim at some point in the past.  Including PTO, ETO and Bodenplatte and Eastern Font.  That doesn't make those non-viable for DCS either.

Past that, we're done here.  Enjoy your Sunday.

Nonsense. 168. You should be honest in your replies. You make up 50% of it. If I'm going off steam,.. you're in trouble. The future is a mess.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:29 PM, Gunfreak said:

Team Fusion is not volunteers. They are a development team that has released 1 expansion pack. Working on a free vr/visual update and has plans for 4 or 5 more expansions have hired new map makers and 3d modelers. Again Cliffs over Dover is no older than DCS.

And the other is 100 times more fun. They love cockpits. Dogfighting is nonexistent.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:27 PM, Flanker35M said:

S!

It would be great if ED one day could add more "timeline specific" planes to WW2 module. At the moment some are from later period than D-Day/Normandy, like 109K-4 or 190D-9. Still glad we are seeing iconic planes like F4U or F6F. But again sometimes feels like tossing in a plane here and there without proper "beef on the bone". You could use F6F and F4U in some scenarios even in ETO, basically Norway area. Over mainland? No. WW2 needs love, not all want to play flying nintendos 😛

As I understand it RN and USN F6Fs were used from carriers during Overlord and Dragoon. Theres not much info on RN F6Fs vs the Luftwaffe but the USN F6Fs did engage air targets I believe. So it wouldn’t be completely ahistorical to have an a-a and a-g F6F campaign on the Normandy map, but it would need suitable carriers.

F4F was used by the RN but not over France during the Normandy campaign it seems, unless anyone knows better?

39 minutes ago, Mogster said:

As I understand it RN and USN F6Fs were used from carriers during Overlord and Dragoon. Theres not much info on RN F6Fs vs the Luftwaffe but the USN F6Fs did engage air targets I believe. So it wouldn’t be completely ahistorical to have an a-a and a-g F6F campaign on the Normandy map, but it would need suitable carriers.

F4F was used by the RN but not over France during the Normandy campaign it seems, unless anyone knows better?

I haven't heard about F6Fs on Normandy. But F6F did fly cover in Operation Dragoon, shooting some bombers i believe, the only air to air kills for the F6F in Europe.

Corsairs flew over Norway but never engaged enemies.

The F4Fs flew in Europe and  Mediterranean during much of the war. Shooting down Germans countless times. The F4Fs last victories were over Me109s were in Match 45 South of Norway.

There were plans for Marine Corsairs to take off from carriers and use Tiny Tim rockets against V1 sites. Never happened because Marshall's hatered for all things Navy/Marine. But it is a what if.

You guys are all talking about projects that will probably take ten or more years to complete. The Corsair has been under development for the last eight years and we still don't have it. And you're talking about Spitfire Mk1's, 109E's, Stukas, Heinkel's...etc., for BOB. I won't see that in MY lifetime. A whole new planeset for the Med...it's not gonna happen. This isn't the sim for it. Modules take too long to develop for DCS. Be happy with what we've got and what is coming instead of worrying about what we DON'T and have never WILL. I think the Pacific may actually happen. I'm thrilled that a Hellcat is on the way. I'm going to enjoy that. You want the Battle of Britain? Paint the Mk9 as a Mk1 and put yourself up against an incoming raid of Ju-88's escorted by 109's. How much different will it be? Russian Front? Fly an I-16 or an LA-7 and escort some Soviet Havocs to a target on the Caucasus map. There's enough to you busy in DCS with what we have. 

Edited by Ercoupe
  • Like 2