Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

I posted this in the VR section. I'm not saying this is the problem but it might be worth checking. It might help some people.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Can confirm this as well.Does not matter if you still have ver 62 on the headset.  The link software forced an update today.  And of a pool of 10 people on a discord channel at leat three of us are unable to use DCS by this.  And that is from a small sample pool.  This needs a hotfix sooner rather than later guys.  Please.

Dont think this is v63 related.  Meta dropped a Oculus link update about 6 hrs ago and I think that is what messed everything up.  Im still version 62 and mine wont work but did prior to that link update.  

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

Don't think this is a V63 issue.  I was still on 62 and it doesn't work but I noticed Meta dropped a Meta Quest link update 7 hrs. (EST) for me and after that is stopped working.  It worked fine literally 2 hrs. before that update. 

Edited by lahsoldier

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

Yep. It was whatever updated today. I thought it was 63 going stable from beta. My oculus app on the PC updated, then my headset. Then…nuthin

seems BigNewy has a good handle on the issue though. He says it’s something to do with the new Oculus download. Meta’s answer is “if the game you’re playing won’t work with the new Oculus software, that is the game developers fault”: which is a bit off putting but whatever.

I have ALOT more faith in ED fixing it than I do Meta

Flew in VR fine yesterday with my Quest 2. Had opted out of PTC and had automatic updates blocked. While I was at work today the update was pushed through and now DCS is unplayable for me as well. PLEASE push a hotfix.............

2 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I'm running the latest version 63.0.0.216.361 and my Quest 2 works fine.

One thing I have noticed though, if I try to run with the hand tracking option set in the DCS VR tab then it won't load at all, it just crashes to desktop. Only if I have the "TRACKERS" option selected. It's ok if I have the Controllers option ticked. Maybe check that setting if you're finding yours won't load. (If you can't get it to load to check the setting, launch it in 2D using the --force_disable_VR option in your desktop shortcut properties:

DCS no VR launcher.jpg

No ball - have toggled it both on and off, but zero dice still crashes. This is a Meta issue and apparently @BIGNEWYstated in another forum somewhere that they have a fix but it isn't likely to be getting pushed in till the next DCS update from what I read in discord.

Edited by JSOMaverick
Edited how it sounded

So just to confirm, as my darn headset went to v63 (And there was a 'recommended update' for the Oculus app), so I'm broken as well - there's currently no work around, as the PTC is no longer a thing - v63 is official and forced?

There's mention of running someone elses uploaded executable... but ... I'd rather not.

So for now, we just need to wait? And .... MSFS2020 it is? 🙂

Edited by SantasGolfClub

That’s really disappointing. I’d hope that if there was a large segment of the customer base that couldn’t use their  product, ED would release a hotfix and not make people wait until whenever a patch comes out. Maybe it’s more complicated than that. Dunno

Maybe the patch will come out tomorrow? I don’t know a damned thing about software and I’m sure ED will do their best….but It sucks not being able to use something I have put $1,000s or dollars into for sure.

• Like 4

I just tried the step by step instructions listed above.  Yes, I was able to get it to run.  But, The debug tool then would not start.  Would just get an error.  And I need the debug tool to make it look good so there is no point in using it if you use the debug tool

4 hours ago, tribbin said:

OK guys... I got it working.

1. Download the folders on this guys Google Drive: https://www.reddit.com/r/dcsworld/comments/1blxiry/comment/kwkcbib/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
(and give this Redditor an upvote)

2. Stop the Oculus service in Windows.

3. Overwrite the -client and -runtime folders in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support with his files.

4. Start Oculus app and then start DCS.

If Oculus updates, repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

image.png

This worked Tribbin, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nephilimborn said:

same here

Me too. Works fine with QP and v63. Not sure why it's not affecting everyone. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

6 hours ago, mediocre said:

v63 on head and link, I will check later and drop app bulid. I aslo opted for beta so maybe that is the diffrence.

edit: Meta Quest Link App Version 63.0.0.216.361 (63.0.0.216.361)

I am using this version on my headset and it runs DCS fine (v63 on my PC app too).

Headset version: 63.0.0.327.363.576466842

This is the second v63 update I have had so wondering if this version fixes the issues others are having. 

1 hour ago, Mike_CK said:

That’s really disappointing. I’d hope that if there was a large segment of the customer base that couldn’t use their  product, ED would release a hotfix and not make people wait until whenever a patch comes out. Maybe it’s more complicated than that. Dunno

Maybe the patch will come out tomorrow? I don’t know a damned thing about software and I’m sure ED will do their best….but It sucks not being able to use something I have put $1,000s or dollars into for sure.

Can you please check your headset release version and see if it is the same as mine shown above? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

It's on ED to fix their openxr implementation. 

With the move away from open beta to predictable, slower releases, there probably won't be a hotfix.  

What we lose in agility, we hopefully gain in stable patches going forward. 

In the meantime, ditch the cable or use the janky steam runtime. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• ED Team

As mentioned in previous post it is certainly unfortunate that the timing of this Meta update created this problem, we are currently locked into a testing cycle for the next patch, we have to test the whole of DCS including its modules, all our fixes features and planned updates. 

The work arounds in the first post are the only option at this time, the steam API seems to be the most successful at the moment. 

I hope (all going well) I can let you know the intended patch date soon, please keep an eye on the patch status post linked in my signature below. 

thank you and sorry for the inconvenience 

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm optimistic. Usually ED patches are on Wednesday or Thursday, so taking into account the 6-week cycle and the month, the patch must be this week I suppose, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Try MSFS or IL-2 during this time  if DCS doesnt work ;).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

19 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Usually ED patches are on Wednesday or Thursday, so taking into account the 6-week cycle and the month, the patch must be this week I suppose, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

In my part of the world math says 6 weeks from last update will be April 4th.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria