Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

21 hours ago, jurinko said:

Now I can run DCS with v63/Quest 3, starting it from the desktop icon or from Steam shortcut. I set SteamVR as OpenXR runtime and in game OpenXR toolkit still works. Strange is, now Turbo mode causes terrible stutter and DCS runs smoothly without it, before Turbo mode smoothed things out. 

That means you are using SteamVR instead or directly OculusVR which is like using Steam Link directly from your headset but using the cable. You must be losing a bit of performance cause of using both Oculus and Steam simultaneously. It makes sense that it works as it´s OculusVR v63 conflicting with DCS.

2 hours ago, slughead said:

And you are not going through Steam?

No, I use steam for a few games but DCS is not one

Is there anything I can do to help understand why it works for me?

This is the version I am running:

image.png

Edited by DCoffey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 4romeodelta said:

This worked for me (so far!) Thanks to yaodknux for coming up with this workaround.  

Are you also renaming the "Staging" and "tmp" folders and adding the non extension "Staging and "tmp" files as described in Lange_666 post?

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

8 hours ago, DCoffey said:

image.png

Look through your dcs.log. There’s probably a clue in there about which vr api it’s using.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb DCoffey:

I wonder what is different about my system as the new update is working with no issue using link cable.

Could it be that link cable?
My Oculus Link also stopped working (which is no world-stopping issue as VD works just fine), but I use a WiFi connection.

11 hours ago, 13sq*Axe said:

Are you also renaming the "Staging" and "tmp" folders and adding the non extension "Staging and "tmp" files as described in Lange_666 post?

No, there is no need. 

9 hours ago, DCoffey said:

image.png

Strange (hawever I have still v62, no update yet for me, Im lucky man ;)!). Do you use MT version? Not ST?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

18 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will certainly mention it to the team.

thanks

Thanks.  I thought it also might be a good idea because I recall Mover and Gonky may have a Folds of Honor fund raising DCS tournament coming up (discussed with Wags on a Podcast a bit ago), and this could have an impact on players ability to join. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yoadknux said:

I'm glad I was able to help. I'm happy to say that since I've written this post, my Meta Link App Version remains at 62, and everything works as it did before.  

I think outsiders don't understand how crippling this issue is. I felt completely helpless. 

Still working for me at 3+days!  🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yoadknux said:

No, there is no need. 

Thanks so much! Another question if I may. Once ED releases the patch and DCS works with Oculus V63, how to update Oculus? Untick "Auto Updates" or Would you have to uninstall and reinstall Oculus to do so? 

Edited by 13sq*Axe

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

33 minutes ago, 13sq*Axe said:

Thanks so much! Another question if I may. Once ED releases the patch and DCS works with Oculus V63, how to update Oculus? Untick "Auto Updates" or Would you have to uninstall and reinstall Oculus to do so? 

I guess enabling auto-updates through the software should work, but I'm not sure. We'll wait and see

Would it be ED or Meta that need to patch this?

I'm reasonably new to this setup, so not entirely clear what the problem is caused by.

It's a bit frustrating having just spent a not inconsiderable amount on modules and hardware, for this to stop working suddenly and still not be fixed days later. I appreciate that software is complicated, and things just sometimes happen like this, but some definitive communication form ED might ease the frustration a bit.

As i said above, I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to fix this - ED or Meta?!

• Like 1

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, GAR112358 said:

Would it be ED or Meta that need to patch this?

I'm reasonably new to this setup, so not entirely clear what the problem is caused by.

It's a bit frustrating having just spent a not inconsiderable amount on modules and hardware, for this to stop working suddenly and still not be fixed days later. I appreciate that software is complicated, and things just sometimes happen like this, but some definitive communication form ED might ease the frustration a bit.

As i said above, I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to fix this - ED or Meta?!

Hi 

sorry for the situation here, it is certainly not ideal so apologies. Software development can be difficult and while the meta patch created the problem for DCS we understand that software compatibility  can be difficult sometimes.

We have a fix that we are testing internally but we will need to wait for the next patch, at this time I can not give a date for the patch as we are testing many fixes and development merges for the whole of DCS and its modules. 

There are some work arounds being used and I have posted here, I hope it helps until we can roll out the patch.  

threads merged

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

DCS does not boot as soon as I click "enable VR" in the options.
It DID this up until today with no problems. Now it suddently does not boot up anymore. No changes with my system at all.

Anyole else`?

On 3/14/2024 at 12:43 AM, NathB said:

I too have exactly the same issue.. not on the Oculus PTC but version63 has stopped DCS launching, and you can't revert back to an older version as far as i'm aware.

Very Frustrating as I soley play DCS and only in VR these days. However if you are willing to go back to 2D I found a get around to get DCS loaded in non-VR mode. You have to rename your saved games DCS folder to something else like 'Temp' and then it'll launch DCS.. it does mean you'll have to set up all your graphics settings etc again unfortunately (unless there's another way to load DCS in non-VR mode).

I hope a fix comes out soon!

You don't need to delete anything - just find 'options.lua' under your C:\Users\*your name*\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta *or whatever your install folder is called*\Config - under the ["VR"] subsection, look for ["enable"] = and set it to false

And for ED, as I've said before, it would be better if there was an easier way to toggle VR on and off before starting DCS.

Also for ED (forum mods) - the 'Game Crash' and 'VR Bugs' forum subsections have what seems like 10+ threads on this same topic/problem now.

The official answer to this problem for the moment (again, buried somewhere in one of the threads) is that it's fixed internally, but given the lengthy waits between patches the newer system entails, we are stuck for the moment with no idea when the fix will be released, at least several weeks away it seems.

• Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb diego999:

Are you using a Quest headset?

Its the "activate vr headset" option in the option-menu that causes the problem.
My Quest is not even involved in the process

Edited by Saber_Rider

I don't think I am using the PTC version, but every time I start the Oculus app on Win, it downloads the V63 update automatically. I have renamed to folders but they did not work and there is no option to automatically download the update. I can only snooze it for "4 hours".

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 minute ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I don't think I am using the PTC version, but every time I start the Oculus app on Win, it downloads the V63 update automatically. I have renamed to folders but they did not work and there is no option to automatically download the update. I can only snooze it for "4 hours".

It’s not enough to rename the folders. You have to create two files to replace the folders you renamed. This blocks the oculus updater from using the staging folders as they’re now files.

• Thanks 2

Ah, files, not folders... okay, that makes sense now.  Thank you.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team

Sorry for the inconvenience, there are some work arounds but I understand if you decide to wait for the next patch. 

thank you 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344539-native-oculus-api-and-dcs/

Please also note there is a steamVR oculus plugin work around found by Jaghammer.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344539-native-oculus-api-and-dcs/page/2/#comment-5395501

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I don't think I am using the PTC version

You can check that in the app:

image.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

vor 2 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

Sorry for the inconvenience, there are some work arounds but I understand if you decide to wait for the next patch. 

thank you 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344539-native-oculus-api-and-dcs/

Please also note there is a steamVR oculus plugin work around found by Jaghammer.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344539-native-oculus-api-and-dcs/page/2/#comment-5395501

Great support here. Hoping the patch will come soon but for now I try these workarounds!
I really appreciate the effort here! Thanks mate

• Thanks 1