What do you think about canopy effects and DDIs?

Atazar SPN

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Of course. If you focus on them. That's the problem with a computer screen. You can't focus beyond them.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

fair point. IRL when you focus outside your mind blurs and filters it out.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

12 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

The raytracing and ray traced reflections are new.

But aren’t they pre-rendered? I seem to remember a comment from ED a while back (a year or more) that they would be pre-rendered - for performance reasons.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

13 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

But aren’t they pre-rendered? I seem to remember a comment from ED a while back (a year or more) that they would be pre-rendered - for performance reasons.

They seem to be live, if I move the reflection updates, if I open the canopy, the reflection updates, if I move pilot arm or lean, the reflection of the pilot updates.

it wouldn't make sense to make it 100% prerendered and static, that's no different then the old texture based reflection.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 3/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, Atazar SPN said:

In the following video you can see the difference in the canopy reflection effects before the update. Only reflections are shown in appropriate lighting conditions and from my point of view it offers greater graphic quality and realism. They are higher resolution reflections with greater opacity that blend better with the scenery without blocking the view of what is behind.

These were horrible and I always disabled them.

They didn't gave the feel of being enveloped by a transparent composite bubble but instead like being inside a illustrated candy plastic wrapper.

Dynamic reflections are functionally better, but with the current hardware they cannot be as sharp as pre baked "pseudo reflections".

18 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Of course. If you focus on them. That's the problem with a computer screen. You can't focus beyond them.

That's where the blur comes into play. In 3D there is also the binocular aspect and eases much more the visual impact of the reflections existence on clear day conditions. 
If they are made super sharp as some are asking, the distraction element will be much worse. They are moving and dynamic and are not static.

IMO, there could be a slider from OFF to 100% opacity to these visual elements on options....or even a resolution option under "caution" advisory on changing the default value.

Options and liberty to chose always triumph over restrictions and constraint.

Edited by Czar66
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

They seem to be live, if I move the reflection updates, if I open the canopy, the reflection updates, if I move pilot arm or lean, the reflection of the pilot updates.

it wouldn't make sense to make it 100% prerendered and static, that's no different then the old texture based reflection.

Fair enough. I assumed there would be a library of pre-rendered reflections, and then they would show in your cockpit depending on the circumstances...
I'm happy to be wrong, and even more happy that they don't seem to have a noticeable performance impact! 🥳

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

IMO, there could be a slider from OFF to 100% opacity to these visual elements on options....or even a resolution option under "caution" advisory on changing the default value.

Best suggestion so far!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, buceador said:

Are these comments only applicable to the Hornet?  Will dynamic reflections come to the Viper too?

They already are as far as I have seen.

• Like 1
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, buceador said:

I'll check tomorrow, I cannot say I have noticed any change.

I haven't flown the F-16 since the patch, but you can see the reflections in the video posted in this thread:

• Like 1
Spoiler

En 7/3/2024 a las 15:08, Czar66 dijo:

These were horrible and I always disabled them.

They didn't gave the feel of being enveloped by a transparent composite bubble but instead like being inside a illustrated candy plastic wrapper.

Dynamic reflections are functionally better, but with the current hardware they cannot be as sharp as pre baked "pseudo reflections".

That's where the blur comes into play. In 3D there is also the binocular aspect and eases much more the visual impact of the reflections existence on clear day conditions. 
If they are made super sharp as some are asking, the distraction element will be much worse. They are moving and dynamic and are not static.

The dynamic reflections look good most of the time, until sunset comes and you're flying over the ocean, then you can see all those low-resolution pixelated (not at all realistic) reflections. Even the reflection of the piergraph as if it projected its own light.

From my point of view the error is in the resolution and opacity, if you correct those two things you will go in the right direction.

No one should be able to turn off something that is present in real life. If the reflections are there, you must learn to pilot with them, just as you learn to pilot with the glare of the sun and in complete darkness.

No one should be able to turn off something that is present in real life. If the reflections are there, you must learn to pilot with them, just as you learn to pilot with the glare of the sun and in complete darkness.

Reflections you cannot focus through are not real, so the reflections shouldn't be there in the first place you mean? Why do you have a hard on for dictating if I want it as an option or not? I guess we need to remove unlimited stores and fuel as well... Jeez!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

The dynamic reflections look good most of the time, until sunset comes and you're flying over the ocean, then you can see all those low-resolution pixelated (not at all realistic) reflections. Even the reflection of the piergraph as if it projected its own light.

From my point of view the error is in the resolution and opacity, if you correct those two things you will go in the right direction.

Well somethings cannot be properly recreated to reality and therefore a compromise is needed to make it work in a gaming (sorry, simulation) environment.

This is exactly what this is all about. 

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Personality I think when taking off from the boat you should salute in real life and post a picture of yourself to prove it before anyone answers your help questions regarding the F18.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

If the reflections are there, you must learn to pilot with them, just as you learn to pilot with the glare of the sun and in complete darkness.

Then I would like to demand at least helmet visors like the real helmets have etc... I will never get this whole debate about super realism with no options to choose from but the maximum real stuff. In the end DCS will always be just a game that simulates aircraft very well and nothing more. If your goal is just maximum realism then I would suggest you better apply to an airforce to get into the real thing ...

Edited by schmiefel
  • Like 3

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

hace 33 minutos, schmiefel dijo:

Then I would like to demand at least helmet visors like the real helmets have etc... I will never get this whole debate about super realism with no options to choose from but the maximum real stuff. In the end DCS will always be just a game that simulates aircraft very well and nothing more. If your goal is just maximum realism then I would suggest you better apply to an airforce to get into the real thing ...

You can ramble until your fingertips are raw. You can even strap two jet engines to your desk chair and launch yourself out the window.

That won't prove him right.

The reason is something that you have or don't have, it is not something that is achieved by rambling and receiving likes.

hace 1 hora, freehand dijo:

Personality I think when taking off from the boat you should salute in real life and post a picture of yourself to prove it before anyone answers your help questions regarding the F18.

Rationality is what differentiates people from animals, although in some cases, I'm not sure.

You guys are already starting to ramble.

35 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

You can ramble until your fingertips are raw. You can even strap two jet engines to your desk chair and launch yourself out the window.

That won't prove him right.

The reason is something that you have or don't have, it is not something that is achieved by rambling and receiving likes.

Rationality is what differentiates people from animals, although in some cases, I'm not sure.

You guys are already starting to ramble.

I have been here for 18 years and never received a personal insult that's a first.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
hace 4 horas, MAXsenna dijo:

Why do you have a hard on for dictating if I want it as an option or not? I guess we need to remove unlimited stores and fuel as well... Jeez! emoji849.png

For the same reason that you can't turn off the sun or remove clouds, because they are natural elements present in real life and it is unrealistic to leave them out of the simulation.

hace 53 minutos, freehand dijo:

I have been here for 18 years and never received a personal insult that's a first.

I have not insulted anyone, only he appealed to a rational debate in which rational arguments are used.

Before having used irony, they should have thought that the ironic mode is a two-way device.

Edited by Atazar SPN

ramble:

Separate yourself from the matter at hand.

rationality:

Rational quality.

If you tell someone that they must present a photo of a greeting to receive takeoff clearance in a simulator, you are not being rational.

9 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

ramble:

Separate yourself from the matter at hand.

rationality:

Rational quality.

If you tell someone that they must present a photo of a greeting to receive takeoff clearance in a simulator, you are not being rational.

Dude you need to take a break, you’re not coming across well. 

• Like 3

hace 5 minutos, Q3ark dijo:

Dude you need to take a break, you’re not coming across well. 

I don't even need to answer you, Albert Einstein and Mark Twain created two perfect quotes for these cases.

One talked about the two things that he considered infinite, doubting one, and the other talked about the perfect moment to abandon a debate.

= )

A problem has been raised here and you have not been able to provide any valid argument beyond rambling and demagoguery. They have turned a thread about something that should be improved into a thread about removing something that should be there.

You, the experts in photography and other satellites, have not even realized that other people who have intervened in this debate have refuted your positions in a technical way.

So instead of engaging in contortions and juggling, make a personal effort to get back on track with valid arguments.

30 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

I don't even need to answer you, Albert Einstein and Mark Twain created two perfect quotes for these cases.

One talked about the two things that he considered infinite, doubting one, and the other talked about the perfect moment to abandon a debate.

= )

You seem to be trying to make this personal, I’m out dude. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here I attach a screenshot in which you can see that it is possible to see objects through reflections. I must have a super powerful mind by being able to concentrate on objects through reflections.

I think that if you don't see the object behind you, it's because you don't want to focus on it and are predisposed to focus on the reflection.

Screen.jpg