F-4E Phantom II Development Update and Release Delay Announcement

4 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

if they don't maintain it who will... it wont magically update itself ?

Of course not. But as I mentioned. The chromium core is an open source project that is maintained and improved on by the community. How much of the maintenance is useful to you project, depend on how it is implemented. Are you using it as it is or have your own heavily forked flavor.

That‘s why I didn’t want to explore that rabbit hole. I simply choose to trust Heatblur and ED to take all those aspects into account.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

9 hours ago, hermes7226 said:

An interesting story about the new Jester, which shows that developers of new modules do not need to develop their own artificial second crew members. It is enough to obtain an HB license for the basic Jester and adapt it to your plane/helicopter. As a result, we achieved advanced AI in all modules. In the case of the general management principle, great!

This. I hope a lot of devs take advantage of HBs offer, as this would highly improve the multicrew modules we have right now. Same goes for Razbams IFF logic, wich they said will be available for other devs as well, for free IIRC.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Sad news, but I'm cheering for Heatblur's fantastic attitude and work ethics.
Godspeed guys!
(One also says "Guy" about girls nowadays, right?. Well I do anyway; Girls included.)

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 4

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

Of course not. But as I mentioned. The chromium core is an open source project that is maintained and improved on by the community. How much of the maintenance is useful to you project, depend on how it is implemented. Are you using it as it is or have your own heavily forked flavor.

That‘s why I didn’t want to explore that rabbit hole. I simply choose to trust Heatblur and ED to take all those aspects into account.

I wish it was that simple, but I'm actually in the software business working for a small, indi developer, and I know how it generally works where the code hits the compiler.  Right now I'm trying hard to resist the urge to cancel my pre-order just on the Chromium issue.  Couldn't care less about the delays, but the more I think about the underlying structure of HBUI as described the less I like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

I wish it was that simple, but I'm actually in the software business working for a small, indi developer, and I know how it generally works where the code hits the compiler.  Right now I'm trying hard to resist the urge to cancel my pre-order just on the Chromium issue.  Couldn't care less about the delays, but the more I think about the underlying structure of HBUI as described the less I like it.

What you have said boils down to “trust me bro”.

I’ll trust heatblur to know what they are doing over some random people on the forums. Unless you can come up with some evidence that shows the way they have implemented chromium is going to be a problem.

• Like 4

Good thing about a jet engine; It eventually stops whining.

• Like 5

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

10 minutes ago, Q3ark said:

What you have said boils down to “trust me bro”.

I’ll trust heatblur to know what they are doing over some random people on the forums. Unless you can come up with some evidence that shows the way they have implemented chromium is going to be a problem.

Good!  There's nothing worse than 'news' articles that begin 'I'm an <insert subject here> expert and these are the seven things you should never do/say...".  I base my decisions on my knowledge and experience, and so should you.  Get educated and make an informed choice, or believe who you choose and follow along. 

The latter is generally the path of least resistance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badger7966 said:

Im totally fine with this and I appreciate the testing that goes into any release....In glad to receive a better release product.

I can wait...thank you.

And one particular bright spot amongst the announcement is the performance looks like its going to be pretty decent considering how far it looked like they were pushing the envelope in the previews issued to date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moxica said:

Soo... pretty solid proof that the DCS forums aren't a jet engine then. 😂

• Like 7

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

Listen HB, I've been waiting for some planes for literal decades. Just get it right and then release. Anyone left of the DCS faithful that still yells, 'just release it and fix it later,' is a fool. Still waiting for Eurofighter, BTW (and I'll keep waiting as long as I keep breathing).

I say thanks for the detailed and honest explanation and that I am very happy to wait, although dissapointed. However, I am disgusted by the attitudes and negative comments I have come across regarding this, honestly, some people are like spoilt kids. Its simple really, if you dont like the idea of paying something before you get it, then dont, wait until release. to me, paying a pre order is a show of support for the developers, and if we did not support and encourage them, we would not have the excellent modules we all love to fly so much. So please ignore the cry babies and bitchers, and we look forwards to the module when it releases. 

• Like 7

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

11 hours ago, Moxica said:

This wins "comment of the day" for me! Perfect. 😂👍

• Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

paying a pre order is a show of support for the developers, and if we did not support and encourage them, we would not have the excellent modules we all love to fly so much.

The developers should be 'supported and encouraged' by friends and family, not customers who are buying a product. If what your implying is correct and modules are impossible to make without being funded in advance by customers then it stops being a viable business venture and it deserves to fail. They aren't doing us any favors. No company is owed any gratitude, they get their money, make their profit and the customer hopefully gets the product that they want. If that's not possible then don't make modules. So what if I don't get to play pretend fighter pilot in a video game? Who cares?

37 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

The developers should be 'supported and encouraged' by friends and family, not customers who are buying a product.

Nobody said that, you’re making stuff up to create an argument.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

The developers should be 'supported and encouraged' by friends and family, not customers who are buying a product.

Unfortunately, a business is driven by money and not by thoughts and prayers.

56 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

If what your implying is correct and modules are impossible to make without being funded in advance by customers then it stops being a viable business venture and it deserves to fail. 

Myriads of successful kickstarter campaigns beg to differ...

In the end, the key aspect of pre-ordering is: It's voluntary. If you don't like the inherent risk - don't do it.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 6

https://store.heatblur.com/blogs/news/of-delays-and-silence

To Heatblur,

I appreciate the sincerity of the post. It sounds like you really put your best effort into it, but sh!t does happens sometimes. I also appreciate perfectionism and the aspiration to deliver a perfect product.

Please go ahead and deliver us the best Phantom sim ever.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

No problem here, take as long as you need to rectify the fault... I'll still be waiting for the release, and I certainly will not be refunding! Keep up the good work chaps... now, back to the Huey... :grin::yes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

In the end, the key aspect of pre-ordering is: It's voluntary. If you don't like the inherent risk - don't do it.

Yep, key right there. That’s why I haven’t even pre-ordered the F-4. Pre-order EARLY ACCESS? yeah, no thanks.😂. It’s not like there’s a limited amount of licenses on release day right?🤓If developers don’t get money before they even release the product, more incentive to crunch and release right? I mean look at Star Citizen, worst and most extreme example of pay now and maybe get something down the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

the end, the key aspect of pre-ordering is: It's voluntary. If you don't like the inherent risk - don't do it.

The guy I was answering was specifically arguing how people should support and encourage developers and they should pre order.

My point is that they aren't owed any pre orders, they aren't owed support and encouragement and no one is morally obligated the fund anyone's financially risky projects. For every successful Kickstarter and community funded projects there are hundreds that failed. No one is obligated to make sure that the developers get to achieve their goals, the responsibility is theirs and not the customers'.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

My point is that they aren't owed any pre orders, they aren't owed support and encouragement and no one is morally obligated the fund anyone's financially risky projects. For every successful Kickstarter and community funded projects there are hundreds that failed. No one is obligated to make sure that the developers get to achieve their goals, the responsibility is theirs and not the customers'.

Yeah, but absolutely nobody suggested that. HB didn't ask for it, they just offered the option. Absolutely nobody was forced to pre-order in the slightest. Incentivized, perhaps. But not forced. 

And delays are by no means something out of the ordinary. Anybody who considers pre-ordering should at least be so informed to know that. And if he/she isnt, that's on them, not on Heatblur.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Its simple really, if you dont like the idea of paying something before you get it, then dont, wait until release.

Everybody has different expectations and is going to bear different delays. Yours limit hasn't been reached yet to be mad but you'd think otherwise if it was a year, or maybe 2, wouldn't you?

btw: I didn't see any outrageous comments.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria