F-4E Phantom II Development Update and Release Delay Announcement

1 hour ago, Migparts said:

Guys, Guys - I have discovered Warbirds!!!

Instead of agonising over the F-4E - I am botched-take-off-crashing Mosquitos, P-47s and BF-109s in Normandy.

My take off attrition rate is currently 87%....

B!tches to take off, the lot. But it is fun when you do actually take offScreen_240324_203012.jpg...Besides, it sweetens the F-4E wait.

Screen_240323_101912.jpg

Screen_240324_215752.jpg

Screen_240325_212557.jpg

Give the I-16 a go too, it requires the footwork of an Irishman doing the Riverdance...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Migparts said:

Guys, Guys - I have discovered Warbirds!!!

Instead of agonising over the F-4E - I am botched-take-off-crashing Mosquitos, P-47s and BF-109s in Normandy.

My take off attrition rate is currently 87%....

B!tches to take off, the lot. But it is fun when you do actually take offScreen_240324_203012.jpg...Besides, it sweetens the F-4E wait.

Screen_240323_101912.jpg

Screen_240324_215752.jpg

Screen_240325_212557.jpg

I like your attitude! 😊

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

and the screenshots brought a big smile to my face as well, having ended up like most of them at some point 🙂

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

21 hours ago, Breakaway said:

Give the I-16 a go too, it requires the footwork of an Irishman doing the Riverdance...

There's a dark moment you have the moment you realize you've actually figured out the ancient ground loop prevention dance in that thing. You don't know whether to be proud or horrified that you've put that effort into the I-16.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

13 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

There's a dark moment you have the moment you realize you've actually figured out the ancient ground loop prevention dance in that thing. You don't know whether to be proud or horrified that you've put that effort into the I-16.

I-16 is my favorite warbird. It's the one that gives me the most feeling of flight and, after landing, the most sense of accomplishment. Just raising and lower that LG is a chore, so is keeping an eye on the temp gauges and rpm during dogfight. I just wish they had the variant with the 20mm cannon - right now it literally takes all the ammo at close range to bring anything down.  

On a similar note, while waiting for the F-4E, I rediscovered the Hornet. I'm mostly an A2A guy, so I never bothered to learn any A2G stuff. It's a whole new world! It will certainly keep me occupied until the F-4 drops in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

I-16 is my favorite warbird. It's the one that gives me the most feeling of flight and, after landing, the most sense of accomplishment. Just raising and lower that LG is a chore, so is keeping an eye on the temp gauges and rpm during dogfight. I just wish they had the variant with the 20mm cannon - right now it literally takes all the ammo at close range to bring anything down.  

On a similar note, while waiting for the F-4E, I rediscovered the Hornet. I'm mostly an A2A guy, so I never bothered to learn any A2G stuff. It's a whole new world! It will certainly keep me occupied until the F-4 drops in.

The I-16 is fun because it's kind of a beater. It's in the same vein as the MiG-19 for jets.

It's so limited, it's so restricted, and that makes it a ball. It's the same difference between owning a really nice car vs. a beater. The former always has horror stories about how it got dinged or scratched. The latter you can flip into a ditch, watch it catch fire, and laugh about because it was awesome.

With the I-16, when you pull off something cool in it, it's awesome because of the limitations it presents. I'd like to fly one for real, some day.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I found the nearest thing for me is the Hind. Analogue computers, old school navigation systems, tables and charts for weapons, working with basic flight control systems to get the most out of it and also preventing myself getting into trouble and entirely analogue instrument flying. Flying at night is possible but absolutely terrifying without NVG and even with it's unfriendly.

• Like 1

Waiting is no problem. But, how is looking up things in the manual while in game any better than just alt-tabbing out, looking up whatever it is I want to look up, and coming back into the game? That's what I do and have no problem with it whatsoever. And we already have the kneeboard, and it is very easy to integrate PDF files into it. I don't see how the purported benefit justifies the time and effort invested in this marginally useful feature, and at the cost of missing a deadline and tarnishing their reputation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, primus_TR said:

Waiting is no problem. But, how is looking up things in the manual while in game any better than just alt-tabbing out, looking up whatever it is I want to look up, and coming back into the game? That's what I do and have no problem with it whatsoever. And we already have the kneeboard, and it is very easy to integrate PDF files into it. I don't see how the purported benefit justifies the time and effort invested in this marginally useful feature, and at the cost of missing a deadline and tarnishing their reputation. 

I really don't understand what we're discussing here... I'm sure Heatblur has thought carefully about this feature and its usefulness and functionality. Because you might not like it and can't wait any longer, heatblur won't do without it. I use e.g. 2 monitors and don't need the feature, but I still think it's great that they're implementing it. Complaining now that it is so unnecessary so that you don't have to wait anymore is simply a waste of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, primus_TR said:

I think VR users can certainly be quite thankful

• Like 2

image.png?ex=661d8f61&is=660b1a61&hm=a7d

• Like 5

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

1 hour ago, felixx75 said:

I really don't understand what we're discussing here... I'm sure Heatblur has thought carefully about this feature and its usefulness and functionality. Because you might not like it and can't wait any longer, heatblur won't do without it. I use e.g. 2 monitors and don't need the feature, but I still think it's great that they're implementing it. Complaining now that it is so unnecessary so that you don't have to wait anymore is simply a waste of time.

Who's complaining?And read my first sentence. I don't have problem waiting. Clear now? Based on their statement, this feature has eaten a lot of development time. And I'm stating my opinion that their time and effort would have been used better elsewhere.  

@Panny You might be right. I'm not using VR so never thought about that. 

Edited by primus_TR
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, primus_TR said:

Who's complaining?And read my first sentence. I don't have problem waiting. Clear now? Based on their statement, this feature has eaten a lot of development time. And I'm stating my opinion that their time and effort would have been used better elsewhere.  

@Panny You might be right. I'm not using VR so never thought about that. 

From HB’s press release the other week it seems the problem system also extends to the new jester interface, it’s not just used for the integrated manual, I think it’ll be worth the wait once we get our hands on it and see it in action.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, primus_TR said:

If I understood correctly, the underlaying technique is not only used for the live manual but also for Jester and the crew chief functionality.

So even if they skipped the manual part, the tech still needs to be fixed/finished.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

If I understood correctly, the underlaying technique is not only used for the live manual but also for Jester and the crew chief functionality.
So even if they skipped the manual part, the tech still needs to be fixed/finished.
That is correct. The HB UI tech is a key pillar of our future modules and will also be essential for improving the existing modules.

In the Phantom, at launch, it will be whats running the Jester Wheel/Menu, Jester Dialog Q&A, Crew Chief, integrated manual, grease pencil and the virtual browser.
Further, it will be the key to certain planned future features such as inspecting wear/tear, aircraft status, the character customization and to enhance navigation and campaign maker capabilities, just to name a few.

It doesn't stop there though, we may also utilize it in the Eurofighter which has quite complex MFDs that are otherwise more difficult to create with the regular tools DCS offers.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, primus_TR said:

Thanks for the info @Q3ark @Hiob. I must have missed that part. So, we'll see how it turns out in May. Fingers crossed.  

Based on what I heard yesterday in Casmo's interview with Wags, we can expect a patch next week (April) with the following one in June.  

I say this because he corrected himself in the video saying the Apache functionality scheduled next week was pulled for next patch in May... or June.  He's likely setting expectations for June, which falls in line with their new elongated patch release cadence.

I'm personally not expecting to see the F-4 until June at earliest.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

48 minutes ago, Volator said:

Wow, nice. That is a screenshot from "our" F-4 I hope?

Maybe if we all grow a moustache it will arrive sooner! 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

23 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Based on what I heard yesterday in Casmo's interview with Wags, we can expect a patch next week (April) with the following one in June.  

I say this because he corrected himself in the video saying the Apache functionality scheduled next week was pulled for next patch in May... or June.  He's likely setting expectations for June, which falls in line with their new elongated patch release cadence.

I'm personally not expecting to see the F-4 until June at earliest.

Not next week. As of now it's slated for tomorrow.(I think the interview was done before the weekend)

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

35 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Not next week. As of now it's slated for tomorrow.(I think the interview was done before the weekend)

Ahhh.... great news!  Thanks for the clarification.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod