DCS F-4E Phantom II Release Date Announcement- May 21st 2024

Posted (edited)

Anyone remember "WYSIWYG?" I do.

Not today. Everything is malleable. 

Unfortunate. I think pre-ordering is absolutely a mistake and I keep making it. I love DCS, but I have to learn sometime, maybe some day.

I'm not mad; I'm retired and have other hobbies. Just disappointed. If my word was as malleable in my last career; I wouldn't have had one. 

Sometimes, you should just be quiet. When you're ready.......say something.

But what does this ole infantryman and LEO know?

Edited by LancerVI
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jarhead0331 said:

I have a better idea...commit to a date and come hell or high water, just stick to it! There's a novel idea. I mean seriously, why are you doing final checks on something like this literally the DAY OF release? Couldn't this have been simply done the day before? If not, why not? What is the nuance here that prevents simple redundancy or getting ahead of an obvious possible problem before the actual day of release? This is another entirely self-inflicted wound that easily could have been avoided with just a little bit of better planning. This is the frustrating part.

Because yesterday was a holliday for some parts of the world?

8 minutes ago, Jarhead0331 said:

Edited by Lord_Pyro

5 minutes ago, LancerVI said:

Anyone remember "WYSIWYG?" I do.

Not today. Everything is malleable. 

Unfortunate. I think pre-ordering is absolutely a mistake and I keep making it. I love DCS, but I have to learn sometime, maybe some day.

I'm not mad; I'm retired and have other hobbies. Just disappointed. If my word was as malleable in my last career; I wouldn't have had one. 

Sometimes, you should just be quiet. When you're ready.......say something.

But what does this ole infantryman and LEO know?

You preorder because you get a hefty discount for parting with your cash before getting the product.  So,  prepurchasing also makes financial sense and not only a gesture of support. 

• Like 7

Just now, primus_TR said:

You preorder because you get a hefty discount for parting with your cash before getting the product.  So,  prepurchasing also makes financial sense and not only a gesture of support. 

Respectfully; what does that have to do with your word?

Posted (edited)

One of the thing that bothers me is that patch delaying has become the norm (and not an exception).

Not later than this morning I was exchanging messages with friends and said that ED this time would not be delaying the patch (as usual) because of the F-4 announcement. I was wrong.

Something in their quality control system is clearly not working.

Edited by Tusky
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, LancerVI said:

Respectfully; what does that have to do with your word?

12 minutes ago, LancerVI said:

Unfortunate. I think pre-ordering is absolutely a mistake and I keep making it.

In reference to this statement of yours. Relevance should be obvious. 

55 minutes ago, Viking 1-1 said:

What's your point?

All I'm saying is that the phantom seems to be ready.

EDs patch not.

So why are they delaying a finished product?

Delayed because you can't necessarily just disentangle the two things at the drop of a hat, and especially as it sounds like the module has dependency on the thing that is in need of some attention.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Major Corvus said:

I will never pre-purchase a module again.

Out of curiosity, how does that help you when the next module you are waiting for also doesn't meet the scheduled release date? You want it, you have to pay for it, right? Only pre-order saves you a few bucks. But you will have to wait in both cases, and your money will go to the developer at some point, so where is the advantage for you in boycotting pre-sales?

Edited by Volator
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, primus_TR said:

In reference to this statement of yours. Relevance should be obvious. 

Typical of this generation. 

Say what you will, do what you want. Whether you realize it or not; you're accountable for every utterance. I speak and write this way because I know it to be true. 

But if the ethics of what I'm talking about are lost on you, I can say that I'm not surprised. My pre-order isn't an ethical choice, now is it? At least be intellectually honest, but again......the ethics seem to be lost on you.

• Like 1

I would have been surprised if this release had gone well... They only had  years to design and test it. Problems found on the launch day, Hmm? I will predict that in the next few days they will make the "necessary"  changes to the core program to support the F-4E and they will break some other things that are working now like the JF-17 radar or the Viper's engines. Then, to prevent a riot,  an emergency hotfix will be required to fix those things and so on and so on. Oh and forget about getting the module actually finished. 5 years from now they will still be trying to get the HUD or something else to work as it should. The F-14 is a pretty good module but is it finished? How many years? Sorry for the rant..........

• Like 6

they removed the discount from the website shop so in theory it should be out during these hours...

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Being a long time DCS supporter this delay does not bother me one bit because it happens so often.

I was joking to myself just before checking the forums that the update is probably delayed lol

I just don't understand why they actually announce release dates, just drop the patch randomly when it's ready

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Lord_Pyro said:

Because yesterday was a holliday for some parts of the world?

Really? That's your response? Then how about running the final check the day before the holiday!? Alternatively, pick a release date that does not fall on the day after a holiday. This isn't rocket science. You can go through whatever mental gymnastics you want to excuse poor planning, but that is the bottom line. It is so obvious that it is almost hard to believe that it isn't purposeful.

Edited by Jarhead0331
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Marnes23 said:

Being a long time DCS supporter this delay does not bother me one bit because it happens so often.

I was joking to myself just before checking the forums that the update is probably delayed lol

I just don't understand why they actually announce release dates, just drop the patch randomly when it's ready

People complain if you don't give dates and you literally cannot win unless everything goes 100% on time and without incident (and for the required contingency to even begin to hit that then people would complain instead that updates take too long to come out).

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, frostycab said:

Discount is still live on the HB site

yes you are right i mean on the DCS site

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

1 minute ago, bfr said:

People complain if you don't give dates and you literally cannot win unless everything goes 100% on time and without incident (and for the required contingency to even begin to hit that then people would complain instead that updates take too long to come out).

Even if HB delivered on time with no incident and an expenses paid trip to a party at the Playboy Mansion, the first time a fellas PC stuttered they’d be lighting up the forums complaining about “flawed modules- why can’t they wait to release until they get it right?”

People, let’s put this in perspective. It’s not cancelled, it’s not missing critical features, it’s just delayed ONE business day. For goodness sakes people don’t act like this when their Amazon parcel is late a day, but they’ll take HB and ED to task for QCing the release.  Nobody’s gonna remember this thread 12 months after release. 

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, ivo said:

they removed the discount from the website shop so in theory it should be out during these hours..

Yes, it's true. It would be really nice if they had already fixed the blocking issues and released the patch today ... For once, instead of postponing the patch to the next day, as always, perhaps bring it forward to the day before, i.e. today, i.e. the appointed day 😉

1 hour ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

These modules are nearly as complex as real world aircraft

and Real World aircraft also have parts falling off them...

Come on let's get this baby in the virtual air! 🙂

"Popcooorn, get your pocooorn" 🍿

• Like 4

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]