T-38A Talon - Community Mod by Veco Simulations

Go to solution Solved by Copprhead,

The Iconic Talon

Veco Simulations is happy to announce our first public community mod for DCS World: the T-38A Talon. 

The T-38A Talon is a two-seat supersonic jet trainer powered by two J85 turbojet engines. Entering service in 1961, it was the world's first jet trainer to exceed Mach 1. This revolutionised pilot training with its high performance, endurance, and safety. Extensively used by the U.S. Air Force and other NATO allies, it has trained more than 72,000 pilots since its inception. Even today, over 65 years after its first flight, the T-38 remains a key part of NATO fighter pilot training for many nations.

The T-38A will be released as a free standalone full-fidelity community mod with a clickable multi-crew cockpit, highly-detailed 3D model and textures, custom-built external flight model (EFM) and stand-alone avionics.

Veco_T38A_Ingame_1.jpg

Veco_T38A_Ingame_2.jpg

Veco_T38A_Ingame_3.jpg

Veco_T38A_Ingame_4.jpg

3D Model

The creation of the 3D model began with a simple external design and evolved into a year-and-a-half-long project fueled by precision and dedication to capturing the iconic shape of the T-38A. Our focus on VR optimization and accuracy led us to extensively overhaul the external model and revise the cockpit design three times since 2022, ensuring every detail meets our high standards.

Extensive research was crucial in this journey. We gathered hundreds of high-resolution photos, both first-hand and second-hand, of the T-38A and its T-38M counterpart. Using photogrammetry, we meticulously captured the most complex shapes, ensuring no detail was overlooked.

To bring the model to life, we are utilizing PBR textures and have hand-painted hundreds of bolts, ensuring an accurate and vibrant representation of the aircraft. This attention to detail not only enhances the realism of the model but also adds a dynamic and immersive quality that makes the aircraft feel truly alive.

We have a skilled team of well-known 2d artists and livery creators - Roughmaster, Wolfthrower, Crash, Aqil, and Fistick - dedicated to crafting a diverse range of liveries for the initial release. These liveries represent various operators throughout the aircraft's extensive operational history. Each livery is detailed with unique weathering effects specifically crafted by Roughmaster to reflect the wear and tear experienced by these aircraft over time.

Furthermore, we are developing templates with multiple levels of wear-and-tear to include in the livery painting kit. This will allow the community to select their preferred starting point when creating their own liveries, providing flexibility and creative freedom for everyone.

Veco_T38A_Cockpit_1.jpg

Veco_T38A_Cockpit_2.jpg

Veco_T38A_Cockpit_3.jpg

External Flight Model (EFM)

Development of the EFM started in 2022 and it is responsible for the simulation of the flight dynamic model, engine model and aircraft systems. 

The flight dynamics of the T-38A are defined by over 25 stability and control derivatives, considering non-linear effects of angle of attack and Mach. The coefficients were derived from wind tunnel tests, empirical estimations and CFD analysis - and subsequently verified against U.S. Air Force flight tests. It features accurate stall characteristics, yaw and pitch dampers, and authentic flight control deflection limits and is continuously refined through extensive flight testing by the Virtual Turkish Stars. 

The J85 engine simulation uses an analytical model based on a NASA design, providing detailed engine parameters influenced by environmental conditions, with features like afterburner, cold start, and compressor stall accurately represented.

The system model employs a "divide and conquer" approach, simulating each component independently, covering electric, fuel, and hydraulic systems on a near-study level, ensuring an honest representation of the aircraft's operational procedures.

Standalone Avionic

The T-38A features a classic steam gauge cockpit and is fully equipped for instrument flight training.

Community mods for DCS typically have limitations regarding the avionic capabilities, as they don't have access to the Software Development Kit (SDK) that is used by 3rd party developers. However, we have carefully chosen an authentic 1970s avionic configuration that allows us to fully implement every functionality, without the need to own any other module and - equally important - without sacrificing our self-imposed level of fidelity.

This configuration includes: 

• A fully functional UHF radio for radio communication with ATC and even other players via voice chat. 

• Intercom for communication between the pilot in the front seat and the instructor in the back seat via voice chat. 

• TACAN for range and bearing information to ground beacons, taking into account distance and line-of-sight limitations. 

• ILS for vertical and horizontal guidance during instrument approach, including marker beacon. 

• A mechanical Flight Director System provides the steering cues to follow the desired flight path.

Our vision is to provide an unforgettable experience that truly represents what it's like to be in the seats of the T-38A Talon, creating a digital representation that goes beyond what you see on the screen. This project represents a culmination of extensive research, meticulous craftsmanship, and a deep appreciation for the historical significance of this iconic trainer. We invite you to join our journey and experience the T-38A Talon in unparalleled detail. 

To stay updated on our progress, participate in discussions, and connect with fellow enthusiasts, join our Discord server: https://discord.gg/GfwnDEr62s

Edited by Copprhead
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9

6 minutes ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Looking forward to this one. Will the module include aggressor color schemes such as this TOPGUN T-38:

…and 4477th Test and Evaluation Squadron T-38A :

There is no final list for the default liveries yet, but we will release paint kit with templates so I'm sure the community will create them eventually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know is not even the same model but will consider making some Spanish EdA skins for the Talon?

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Looking forward to flying this bird next year ... will start to gather training-syllabus documentation to create realistic missions for it 🙂 

Cheers!

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This is an excellent news, thank you guys!

Eager to put my hands on the throttle and stick of this bird.

• Like 1

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Please note that I'm not trying to rush the release or start any great internet debate, I have watched the video several times and to my untrained eye, it looks ready to go.

Is there any anticipated release date?

Thank you for all your hard work, it looks like an amazing addition to the DCS ecosystem. 

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

12 minutes ago, t_hedlund said:

I have watched the video several times and to my untrained eye, it looks ready to go.

Note that there are no scenes from inside the cockpit and the faq tells that the Flight Model is still being made .. so, the aircraft may be ready to be flown on a flight display, but most likely its navigation and communications systems still need work.  Better left the developers work at their own pace, I will gladly fly it whenever the developers release it.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Note that there are no scenes from inside the cockpit and the faq tells that the Flight Model is still being made .. so, the aircraft may be ready to be flown on a flight display, but most likely its navigation and communications systems still need work.  Better left the developers work at their own pace, I will gladly fly it whenever the developers release it.

Oh, Thanks for pointing out the FAQ, I didn't see it. 

I 100% agree, no rush, I will log the hours in it whenever it is ready. 

• Like 1

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

What does it mean Module, not mod in this situation? It will be part of free DCS World like F-51 and Su-25T?

Notice that Veco istn 3th parties developer as well, so ED will take this model and will give it as free module in official way?

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

20 hours ago, Volator said:

Sorry, I just can provide what Google gives me, hope it helps you in any way.

Maybe @MiGCap1 has some good shots of Cold War Sheppard birds?

I have flown a photo mission with a T-38A in „white beauty“ paint scheme back in 1997 at Sheppard. But that was the time of analog slide photography and I had only one or two motives digitalized. Must look into my archive later in the evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MiGCap1 said:

I have flown a photo mission with a T-38A in „white beauty“ paint scheme back in 1997 at Sheppard. But that was the time of analog slide photography and I had only one or two motives digitalized. Must look into my archive later in the evening.

Would be an honor to create include the livery if you can provide some reference pictures 😀

• Thanks 1